Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are people in general getting worse?
Yes; people have become bigger assholes. 57 42.86%
No; people are the same level of scumbag they've always been. 76 57.14%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

The $1.5 million comic book: as with collecting art, a lot of people do this as a form of gambling. There are people who collect art because they love some of it and want to display it. It's all personal to them so they wouldn't resell most of their collection unless absolutely necessary. There are comic book fans who only buy the ones they're going to read, or only keep the ones they really like. But...there are also people who "flip". "Flippers" is a term for those who only buy art to sell it after to return a profit (although it's not mutually exclusive; you could have someone who loves art but also sells some of their pieces right away to get more money to buy more art). Those who have a great interest in high-priced comics are usually those who only buy to allow the value to go up. Technically speaking, you could display comics the same way you display art. But realistically speaking these people are waiting for the value to up. And most of the time it does as time goes on, provided you store the piece properly (archival).

And even more boring:

Superman and citizenship: "The number one misunderstanding that pundits have had about this story is that it represents an insult to or rejection of America and its values, not as a decision to step back from American politics and foreign policy, as Superman more clearly indicates in the comic. There is no disillusionment, no repudiation of "The American Way" -- a phrase, by the way, that was not initially associated with Superman, and only appeared after America became involved in World War II.

It's also worth noting that while Superman may be symbolically renouncing his national identity, Clark Kent is another matter entirely, and there's absolutely no reason to think that the Daily Planet reporter's citizenship will change in any way. One of the most fundamental tropes of superheroes is the concept that they have a civilian identity, and when they step into their superhero role, they conceal aspects of that personal identity in order to protect themselves and the people around them from the repercussions of their superheroic actions. In a sense, this is exactly what Superman is doing: removing his American identity from his "professional" identity because he is unwilling to compromise U.S. foreign policy or jeopardize the safety of the American people."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I guess I should warn this is a spoiler in regard to Keith's comments on Source Code - from what Keith said, it sounded like maybe Keith didn't understand the ending and what happened. He said everyone still ended up dying, etc. Not that it makes any sense anyways, but in the end, he actually DID save everyone, so much so that the people running the "source code" program, never even knew they used source code to stop that terrorist attack that day. I thought it was a good ending, or as good of an ending that they could have given it. I think I'm easier to please however.

Anyone else who has seen Source Code agree or have thoughts? I'm a fan of the groundhog day action style movies, like 12:01 and such. Even though looking back now, 12:01 blows.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJsScreename View Post
Anyone else who has seen Source Code agree or have thoughts?
Agree? Yes, that's what happened. Thoughts? It was stupid.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

how long is the source code talk, pretty much? i still have to see it, i dont wanna skip the whole episode though

also, id say the answer is Yes, people have become bigger assholes. Mostly because theres way too much tolerance for asshole behaviour, so people feel entitled to be more abusive.

Last edited by Junkenstein; 07-19-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Spoiler is between 9:30 to 13:40
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

thanks you
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggie View Post
Regarding the "ATM robber". I understand Chemda being assertive in protecting herself, but calling 911 and taking a picture of the guy was too much. The guy didnt actually do anything, right? Maybe she could have waited outside until he actually committed a crime. Even if the cops came, what would she tell them-- He looked at me weird?

Basically, I think Chemda's actions were excessive. Again, I understand that she was worried, but one should be more certain of another person's motives before subjecting them to the humiliation of being apprehended by police officers in public.
I like Huggie's opinions. I'm pretty sure I'm right about something, then he posts the opposite (which is always pure stupidity), and then I realize I was ABSOLUTELY right.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I wish I actually did some of the things Chemda does to take action.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

To me it sounds like the guy in the ATM was just as paranoid as Chemda. What if he was just filling out bank slips, and he thought Chemda was peaking? I bet he covertly took some shitty pictures of her through the glass too.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Huggie: "see tings, say tings"

I would just invite a bum to sleep in the ATM area and sabotage this guy's whole plan.