Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1437: Into the Wild (http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1437-into-wild-16535/)

Keith 08-04-2011 05:08 PM

1437: Into the Wild
 
"I guess you work for yourself, so you can look like that."


LAURENHENNESSY.COM



Cubeforce 08-04-2011 08:07 PM

A Chemda spinoff show? Exciting!:D

Sorin Markov 08-04-2011 09:17 PM

people sueing mc donalds for making them fat, this is a little silly but i feel like we should be holding companies like mc donalds and neutella accountable for how they advertise, and trick stupid people

becca 08-04-2011 11:19 PM

I've been listening for over 5 years. I've never missed an episode, bought the books, dvd's, sweatshirt's, tees, towels and bounced your KATG beach balls on beaches from here to Maine but after this episode I just can't do it anymore.
It's been a hell of a ride, thanks for the laughs but I'm out.

Keith 08-05-2011 12:09 AM

Please nobody ask her why. Please.

dannyhatch 08-05-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 707686)
I've been listening for over 5 years. I've never missed an episode, bought the books, dvd's, sweatshirt's, tees, towels and bounced your KATG beach balls on beaches from here to Maine but after this episode I just can't do it anymore.
It's been a hell of a ride, thanks for the laughs but I'm out.

Your avatar is very silly. It's a cupcake, but he's got arms and legs and a face and stuff. i like it.

Lanfear 08-05-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 707687)
Please nobody ask her why. Please.

Your wish is my command!

guitarrob 08-05-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 707686)
I just can't do it anymore.
It's been a hell of a ride, thanks for the laughs but I'm out.

Don't do us any favors. Dummy.

whatotherway 08-05-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorin Markov (Post 707682)
people sueing mc donalds for making them fat, this is a little silly but i feel like we should be holding companies like mc donalds and neutella accountable for how they advertise, and trick stupid people

Yes they trick people.

Mc Donalds puts out salads, and advertises them as healthy, but neglect to point out that with the salad dressing they put in it, they can have more calories than that burger you might put to one side.

Breakfast cereal companies in the US are careful to keep the transfat in their products to 0.49 grams so they don't have to report it. If a product has 0.5 grams or more of transfat in a serving size, it has to be stated on the packaging. To do this they have had to reduce the serving size of a lot of products. I read that one granola bar has a serving size of half the bar, but few have noticed the change.

Health Authorities in the US, recommend no more than 2 grams of transfat a day, yet one granola bar of the wrong brand can give you almost half of that. Add that healthy breakfast cereal, where most people put two to three servings in their bowl, having not noticed the recommended serving size has been reduced, and you are over the limit, before you have any cakes, cookies, doughnuts or any of the other foodstuff that also have 0.49 grams per serving size in them.

The food companies have a lot to answer for.

Replace the sugar in food with corn syrup and feed carefully controlled amounts of it to rats, dogs, pigs or other lab animals, and the animals become obese, whereas the control animals, who have the same food in the same amounts but with refined sugar in it, remain slim.

Look at the food packets and note how many have corn syrup in it. Even Coke uses corn syrup in their drink.

<sigh> is it any wonder why all these fatsos are so fat? Try to find food without corn syrup, even if you make your own, some of the ingredients have it added.

VividRave 08-05-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 707686)
I've been listening for over 5 years. I've never missed an episode, bought the books, dvd's, sweatshirt's, tees, towels and bounced your KATG beach balls on beaches from here to Maine but after this episode I just can't do it anymore.
It's been a hell of a ride, thanks for the laughs but I'm out.

oh thank GOD becca you were SO ANNOYING.

peace attention ho! :P

sklXbns 08-05-2011 07:31 AM

Last year, I saw Eddie Vedder play a few songs that he wrote for the "Into the Wild" soundtrack in Little Rock, Arkansas. (He was there for a benefit show rallying for the freeing of the West Memphis 3, or WM3). To everyone's surprise, Johnny Depp was there too and played a few songs. I'm pretty sure he thought he was still Captain Jack Sparrow when he was on stage. Seeing this unbalanced, stammering and swaying Depp just gives more credence to Keith's belief that actors are just blank canvasses who can be trained to play any role. I really think Johnny got stuck after playing Hunter S. Thompson in "Fear and Loathing..."

On a side note, when a guy asked me why I was there to watch the performances, I decided to fuck with him just a little. I'm sure he was wanting to get into some discussion about how much each other knew about the WM3. I already knew plenty and didn't want to bother comparing notes. I said, "Anything I can do to keep those three monsters locked up for the rest of their lives, I'm doing it." Of course, this turned some heads and I caught a few dirty looks.

Here are a couple of videos I shot of the show.
(These look much better when viewed in HD.)




Blitzgal 08-05-2011 07:54 AM

She only posted 7 times in the forums, but made sure to publicly flounce off. Whatever.

Fourbid 08-05-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becca (Post 707686)
I've been listening for over 5 years. I've never missed an episode, bought the books, dvd's, sweatshirt's, tees, towels and bounced your KATG beach balls on beaches from here to Maine but after this episode I just can't do it anymore.
It's been a hell of a ride, thanks for the laughs but I'm out.

All the way from Boston to Maine, huh?

You're a world traveler.

lattaland 08-05-2011 09:00 AM

What do you call the new Spider-Man on a bicycle?

Snarky 08-05-2011 09:16 AM

There is a huge problem with nutrition in our country, mainly because we donít understand how it affects us. If you follow an organic, all raw, all plant based diet, you are almost promised not to get any type of cancer or any chronic diseases. You can reverse the diseases you already have too. I know it sounds extreme to the general public, but the food you eat does matter. It can have the same effects on your body as any other chemicals like cocaine or alcohol. Of course itís a different feeling, but your mind is still affected. I didnít learn any of this in high school either, not from public service announcements or on commercials. I had to dig and use my interest of why we have so many fatfucks. I had to research the reason, and not many people do that. People donít understand that you need to STOP eating all fast food. All of it. Itís shit. Meat is not something our bodies really need in this day and age, we arenít starving to death. Itís really sad for me to see my niece walk around with a piece of pizza and a hugegantic cup of coke. Meanwhile, she has anger issues, sheís been held back two years in school because she canít spell, her mom spends hundreds of dollars on acne medication yet they still feed her this shit. Food is an underlying cause for 99% of our problems, and it makes me sick.

I didnít mean to go on a super hippi rant, Iím just passionate about nutrition, and I wish this information was more widespread. In my hippi opinion, they should legalize marijuana and make mcdonalds, burger king, pizza hut, etc illegal. Food is killing us. Not drugs.

A few documentaries if youíre interested. All streamable on Netflix.

ďfood mattersĒ
ďFat, sick and nearly deadĒ
ďthe beautiful truthĒ
ďThe gerson miracleĒ



On a side note, I love Lauren a little more every time she's on.

Keith 08-05-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lattaland (Post 707707)
What do you call the new Spider-Man on a bicycle?

Please nobody ask him what. Please.

Huggie 08-05-2011 09:31 AM

Can I get a link to Chemda's podcast?

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sklXbns (Post 707700)
On a side note, when a guy asked me why I was there to watch the performances, I decided to fuck with him just a little. I'm sure he was wanting to get into some discussion about how much each other knew about the WM3. I already knew plenty and didn't want to bother comparing notes. I said, "Anything I can do to keep those three monsters locked up for the rest of their lives, I'm doing it."

good one. i always wanted to tell the WM3 people that "the kids probably deserved it anyway. fucking inbred cunts", but i never had the chance.

also when i finished watching "into the wild" i wanted to cheer for the death of that smug hippie piece of shit.

dEadERest 08-05-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 707711)
Please nobody ask him what. Please.

but i really wanna know and it's hurting my brain

Blitzgal 08-05-2011 09:53 AM

The good news is, the corn lobby has had to try "rebranding" High Fructose Corn Syrup by calling it "corn sugar" because the public knows it's shit. It's still in pretty much every packaged food in the grocery store unless you buy the higher end stuff, but hopefully this is progress. If they're scared enough to waste millions of dollars on this retarded ad campaign that isn't fooling anyone, it means change is in the wind. Or so I hope.

The reason our food manufacturers have turned to HFCS to sweeten everything instead of sugar? For decades, the US has held strict quotas and huge tariffs on foreign sugar producers in order to give them the shaft in favor of US producers. Except, we don't really make much sugar in the US anymore. But we grow a crap-ton of corn.

Keith 08-05-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dEadERest (Post 707715)
but i really wanna know and it's hurting my brain

I don't know what it is either, but assume it's extremely racist.

punk'n 08-05-2011 10:13 AM

Your thoughts on "Into the Wild" and Nutella are extremely controversial.

Keith 08-05-2011 10:18 AM

If Into the Wild is your favorite movie AND Nutella is your favorite treat, I can see the whole thing throwing somebody over the edge.

swiggy 08-05-2011 10:51 AM

Diet and Cancer, from someone who's delt with those two.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky (Post 707710)
There is a huge problem with nutrition in our country, mainly because we donít understand how it affects us. If you follow an organic, all raw, all plant based diet, you are almost promised not to get any type of cancer or any chronic diseases[....] Food is an underlying cause for 99% of our problems, and it makes me sick.

I didnít mean to go on a super hippi rant, Iím just passionate about nutrition, and I wish this information was more widespread.

What do you think of the following blog entry from a former Vegan?
A Vegan No More

Saying a "raw" diet will almost promise not to get cancers/diseases is something you should be cautious about saying, IMO it's a false hope (a big maybe). Plus many vegans don't follow that lifestyle diet properly and neglect their body.

On the topic of cancer and diet... If it were true, just diet, there would be more emphasis in cancer prevention and not "finding a cure" and there would be lower rates of middle to high income earners who get this disease. Don't get me wrong, I want a cure... But it seems this is a safety net to say to those who are afraid because a friend or a family member has had it in the past. It's something we can control tangibly, obsess over healthy living and it helps to forget the other factors.

There are so many other factors in a person other than diet that causes these illnesses, such as past history, physical activity, where you live (environment), your economic status, mental health etc. So what works for one may not work for another. Many skin cancers are neglect of prevention of protection of UVA/UVB rays. Dysgerminoma (Germ Cell Tumor) Ovarian cancer is still considered rare because it happens when the ovum is released and fails to migrate properly.

I say this as an ovarian cancer survivor (one spoken above) and experiencing it first hand at 15 years old; first in my province to have that kind of cancer at my age and 3rd in all of Canada at the time (2001). When speaking to doctors and RN's, I was surprised to learn how much goes into how to get rid of it instead of how to prevent it, and when you look into fundraisers a bit closer, it's advancements on treatment and not a cure (I'm sure politics from pharmaceuticals is a factor there) that gets the most money. Plus think of how many cooperations will lose millions, maybe more, because they can no longer use "breast cancer" (example) as a marketing tool? As sick as that sounds, it's reality. A lot of product sells because it has that pink ribbon on it.

I believe there is more to it than just "not understanding nutrition" for a lot of people, and poverty is a big one. If you're trying, and organic banana is 6 dollars and one with pesticides is only 2, you're on a tight budget, you'll go for the 2 dollar one. And it's thanks to human genetic mutation of certain seeds that places can grow their crops in severe weather conditions whereas those people would die off from starvation.

If you have the option to eat organic, great. I really hope it does prove beneficial. If you see those who don't, not the best to jump to lack reason of knowledge/understanding for everybody. But we can all agree that blatant ignorance (like you mentioned giving a young child a large coke and a (I assume) peperoni pizza or you only eat take-out, fast food or eating Nutella thinking it's healthy), should be pointed out and corrected as much as possible.

*throws two pennies at the forum*

mcbane89 08-05-2011 11:17 AM

Here's what Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian had to say about the Into The Wild guy, Christopher McCandless:


"When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [... ] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide."

And I'm sorry, I have to do it, I have to ask Becca, I'm dying to know:

What's Maine like, is it nice? I heard the weather is nice, is it?

punk'n 08-05-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbane89 (Post 707729)
Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide."

That was my initial reaction to that movie. Maybe Keith is right about the age thing. I never thought of the lead character as brave or inspirational. I thought of him as a dummy who killed himself. But I am old and jaded.

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk'n (Post 707730)
That was my initial reaction to that movie. Maybe Keith is right about the age thing. I never thought of the lead character as brave or inspirational. I thought of him as a dummy who killed himself. But I am old and jaded.

i heard that view before, it makes sense. i think the movie made him look way more inspirational because Sean Penn directed it and hes a silly hippie who likes to shove idealism into people's throats.

thats what made me so mad about the movie. If it was done like other movies about nutjobs who go to live "like wild men", take any Herzog film, it wouldve been bearable. but Penn had to make it full of "poetic" landscapes, "moving" moments and Vedder cleaning his throat (oh so intense).... and make the guy look sympathetic.....

not a coincidence, i think, that it became a hit in european countries, where all the hipster douches, viewed as a "manbifest of a man who goes against the capitalistic ideas of the US and fights to his death".

Everytime i told thos epeople the guy was an asshole and got the death he deserved, people tell me "you dont get it". fuck you, douches. i like showers and large meals and i'll burn your forests down.

mcbane89 08-05-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk'n (Post 707730)
That was my initial reaction to that movie. Maybe Keith is right about the age thing. I never thought of the lead character as brave or inspirational. I thought of him as a dummy who killed himself. But I am old and jaded.

I'm guessing age plays into it quite a bit, but there's also something romantic about telling the world to go fuck itself as we all get tired of it now and then. I think that's why you see movies like this pop up every so often (although at least this one showed the prententious douche dying), and why characters like House, John McClane, Simon Cowell, and Gordon Ramsey have such longevity. I pretty much had the same reaction you did because while I love to daydream about kicking my boss in the nuts, I also happen to like my paycheck and understand I can't live without it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 707732)
i heard that view before, it makes sense. i think the movie made him look way more inspirational because Sean Penn directed it and hes a silly hippie who likes to shove idealism into people's throats.

thats what made me so mad about the movie. If it was done like other movies about nutjobs who go to live "like wild men", take any Herzog film, it wouldve been bearable. but Penn had to make it full of "poetic" landscapes, "moving" moments and Vedder cleaning his throat (oh so intense).... and make the guy look sympathetic.....

not a coincidence, i think, that it became a hit in european countries, where all the hipster douches, viewed as a "manbifest of a man who goes against the capitalistic ideas of the US and fights to his death".

Everytime i told thos epeople the guy was an asshole and got the death he deserved, people tell me "you dont get it". fuck you, douches. i like showers and large meals and i'll burn your forests down.

Also this...


and @JoshLatta: You told that wrong. It's "If you see a Spiderman riding a bike down the street, why don't you hit him with your car"?


Oh, and @LaurenHennessey: BangBus used to be real! They sold out and decided to start using porn actresses after they got a little cash. Check out the early episodes, and trust me, you've never seen those girls on any other sites, as odds are they were local amateurs.. or "professionals". Also, the episodes tend to be 2 hours long as the producer talks to these girls for about an hour at a time before any clothes start coming off. No one in real porn has that amount of patience. Even Dirty Sanchez.

dEadERest 08-05-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk'n (Post 707730)
I thought of him as a dummy who killed himself.

i thought of him as bear food delivery.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbane89 (Post 707736)
and @JoshLatta: You told that wrong. It's "If you see a Spiderman riding a bike down the street, why don't you hit him with your car"?

now i really wanna know and i hope it's racist
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2009/11/S...x388-28373.jpg

DWarrior 08-05-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky (Post 707710)
Stupid shit

This is pretty stupid.

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbane89 (Post 707736)
Oh, and @LaurenHennessey: BangBus used to be real! They sold out and decided to start using porn actresses after they got a little cash. .

yeah. i read a book about the porn industry, made mostly of interviews with porn actors and directors and it was an example cited as one of the symbols of the downfall of "regular" porn. gonzo killed the golden age, web porn killed gonzo, then there was bang bus where any form of production was wiped out cause the sudience wanted "realism" (which, honestly, i dont get. if i want to fap to realistic stuff, why use porn? i can do that for free)

Snarky 08-05-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiggy (Post 707723)
What do you think of the following blog entry from a former Vegan?
A Vegan No More

Saying a "raw" diet will almost promise not to get cancers/diseases is something you should be cautious about saying, IMO it's a false hope (a big maybe). Plus many vegans don't follow that lifestyle diet properly and neglect their body.

On the topic of cancer and diet... If it were true, just diet, there would be more emphasis in cancer prevention and not "finding a cure" and there would be lower rates of middle to high income earners who get this disease. Don't get me wrong, I want a cure... But it seems this is a safety net to say to those who are afraid because a friend or a family member has had it in the past. It's something we can control tangibly, obsess over healthy living and it helps to forget the other factors.

There are so many other factors in a person other than diet that causes these illnesses, such as past history, physical activity, where you live (environment), your economic status, mental health etc. So what works for one may not work for another. Many skin cancers are neglect of prevention of protection of UVA/UVB rays. Dysgerminoma (Germ Cell Tumor) Ovarian cancer is still considered rare because it happens when the ovum is released and fails to migrate properly.

I say this as an ovarian cancer survivor (one spoken above) and experiencing it first hand at 15 years old; first in my province to have that kind of cancer at my age and 3rd in all of Canada at the time (2001). When speaking to doctors and RN's, I was surprised to learn how much goes into how to get rid of it instead of how to prevent it, and when you look into fundraisers a bit closer, it's advancements on treatment and not a cure (I'm sure politics from pharmaceuticals is a factor there) that gets the most money. Plus think of how many cooperations will lose millions, maybe more, because they can no longer use "breast cancer" (example) as a marketing tool? As sick as that sounds, it's reality. A lot of product sells because it has that pink ribbon on it.

I believe there is more to it than just "not understanding nutrition" for a lot of people, and poverty is a big one. If you're trying, and organic banana is 6 dollars and one with pesticides is only 2, you're on a tight budget, you'll go for the 2 dollar one. And it's thanks to human genetic mutation of certain seeds that places can grow their crops in severe weather conditions whereas those people would die off from starvation.

If you have the option to eat organic, great. I really hope it does prove beneficial. If you see those who don't, not the best to jump to lack reason of knowledge/understanding for everybody. But we can all agree that blatant ignorance (like you mentioned giving a young child a large coke and a (I assume) peperoni pizza or you only eat take-out, fast food or eating Nutella thinking it's healthy), should be pointed out and corrected as much as possible.

*throws two pennies at the forum*

You are absolutely right about vegans, and Iíd like to point out Iím not really big on labeling anyone. I donít like to call myself a vegan, or a vegetarian for that matter. If a person is eating only celery and cabbage, they can call themselves a vegan, but theyíre not healthier than anyone who eats just lunchmeat and cheese. Balanced nutrition takes knowledge on what your body needs. The general public is not informed on what their bodies need. They know: Fast food = bad.. veggies = good.. (<- say that in cookie monster voice.) But they donít understand the implementing of this reality.

When talking about organics, I completely agree. The impoverished really do take a back seat when it comes to the concern of our socieyt. I guess when I say Ďpeopleí I mean to say society.. ?.. Itís hard to find someone to point a finger at. Our main focus as a society is on frivolous luxuries such as automobiles and houses. In my opinion, you should pay as much as possible for the food you put in your body. Your house doesnít represent you, neither does your car. Your body is your main vehicle. If you treat it like shit, eat shit, you are going to feel like shit and youíre going to get sick and die sooner.

When it comes to environment, at least your physical outdoor surroundings, your body knows how to adapt. You can reverse cancer, Max Gerson proved that in the 1940ís. I highly recommend anyone looking into the Gerson Therapy or watching ďThe Gerson MiracleĒ. If we are walking around toxic environment while we are malnourished, our immune systems donít stand a fighting chance. We are the ones who make the ultimate decision to eat foods conveniently, but itís not fully understood that this can lead to so many side effects including a premature, painful death. Environmental issues are definitely something to shake your finger at, please donít think Iím brushing that off. But it starts with us. I hate that we are being mislead by advertising and the media to believe that this is all a mystery. Itís not a mystery, itís just more profitable to have a nation full of sick, pill popping drones.

In another aspect of environment, that I think leads to the biggest issue, is your environment at home. If your parents arenít taught the way to properly nourish their bodies with nutrition, then they are never going to teach it to their children. Unless they take some time to look into it, but thatís rare. I can see why people think obesity is a genetic disorder, but itís more of a social disorder than anything. People accept that they will get type 2 diabetes because 90% of their family has it. The thought of that makes me sick. A lot of people would say theyíre lazy, I say their uneducated and misinformed.

Itís all about convenience. Itís not convenient to tell the general public that we are killing ourselves with shit food. Itís not convenient for the prescription drug companies to admit that you can cure yourselves with the most natural plant based diet. Itís not convenient to go home and make a salad with fresh veggies for dinner. Itís not convenient to pay more for organic. I think Iím starting to sound like an asshole, thatís not my goal. With all that said, I think Trader Joeís is doing a pretty good job of making organic produce more convenient. High 5 for Trader Joeís.

Be looking for my book in about 30 years when I finally gather all my thoughts and compile them. itíll be called ďConvenience is Killing UsĒ, by Mendy Ray.

mcbane89 08-05-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dEadERest (Post 707740)
i thought of him as bear food delivery.
now i really wanna know and i hope it's racist
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2009/11/S...x388-28373.jpg

It's not as racist as anything Carlos Mencia has done, but it's pretty damn racist.

mcbane89 08-05-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 707742)
yeah. i read a book about the porn industry, made mostly of interviews with porn actors and directors and it was an example cited as one of the symbols of the downfall of "regular" porn. gonzo killed the golden age, web porn killed gonzo, then there was bang bus where any form of production was wiped out cause the sudience wanted "realism" (which, honestly, i dont get. if i want to fap to realistic stuff, why use porn? i can do that for free)

I like some of the reality porn, but it's like anything. In the hands of someone clever it can be good, in the hands of half wits it can be tedious. Once it becomes popular there are a million copycats. When the matrix came out everyone did wire fighting, when Blair Witch came out every dumb shit tried using the shaky handheld camera thing. Sites like Bang Bus and Midnight Prowl used to be somewhat "legit" (anything filmed, even documentaries, are never completely legit), hell Midnight Prowl actually got into some serious legal trouble, and as soon as they got popular everyone copied them. It could swing back around to more production value centered stuff, but unlike a feature film it doesn't cost $100million to get the moneyshot. It's basically porn for the ADD generation.

Oh, and if anyone wants to defend "realistic" movies, arthouse movies, or student film - I went to film school and we were all pretentious douches, and all of our work was terrible.

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbane89 (Post 707750)
žOh, and if anyone wants to defend "realistic" movies, arthouse movies, or student film - I went to film school new were all pretentious douches, and all of our work was terrible.

THIS!

i remember all the new wave of shoulder cam, fake real movies and how all the filmschool snobs i know (theres a film school in turin, so pretty much 90% of people i know were film students or cinephiles) were waxing poetics about it saying that "Paranormal Reality" was the future of movies, cause it created "a sense of participation" and yadafuckinyada.

then that fad died and they were all over "classic cinema" again.

i still cant stand that style. i like movies that look good.

mcbane89 08-05-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 707753)
THIS!

i remember all the new wave of shoulder cam, fake real movies and how all the filmschool snobs i know (theres a film school in turin, so pretty much 90% of people i know were film students or cinephiles) were waxing poetics about it saying that "Paranormal Reality" was the future of movies, cause it created "a sense of participation" and yadafuckinyada.

then that fad died and they were all over "classic cinema" again.

i still cant stand that style. i like movies that look good.

Oh God. I know that pain first hand. I went to film school in San Francisco (imagine what that was like), and trying to explain to the other students and teachers I wanted a job that actually paid me money, and produced "normal looking" films, was met with blank stares much akin to when I ask my terrier to round Pi out to the 136,000th decimal place. The amount of god awful, pretentious, pointless, offensive, student films that are permanantly burned into my brain would be enough to drive most people insane. The camera doesn't always have to be moving, your edits don't have to cause seizures, sound is a good thing to have so I know what the hell is going on, and for God's sake the first three things I mentioned DO NOT mean you don't have to have a plot!

Blitzgal 08-05-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk'n (Post 707730)
That was my initial reaction to that movie. Maybe Keith is right about the age thing. I never thought of the lead character as brave or inspirational. I thought of him as a dummy who killed himself. But I am old and jaded.


Me too, and the fact that other little dumbshit 20 year olds are making pilgrimages to the site means that he's potentially taking others with him.

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbane89 (Post 707757)
Oh God. I know that pain first hand. I went to film school in San Francisco (imagine what that was like), and trying to explain to the other students and teachers I wanted a job that actually paid me money, and produced "normal looking" films, was met with blank stares much akin to when I ask my terrier to round Pi out to the 136,000th decimal place. The amount of god awful, pretentious, pointless, offensive, student films that are permanantly burned into my brain would be enough to drive most people insane. The camera doesn't always have to be moving, your edits don't have to cause seizures, sound is a good thing to have so I know what the hell is going on, and for God's sake the first three things I mentioned DO NOT mean you don't have to have a plot!

exactly. plus i have an undying love for classic directing, done on FILM and with a panoramic screen (thats why i love the direction tarantino is going, but i digress).

especially in horror, where there used to be some amazing filmmakers once, now everything is shaky cam, mtv jump cuts and LOUD NOISE scares. or if it isnt, its all about faking how "extreme" your movie is and not actually doing anything worth watching (like the human centipede thing).

with all the shit Avatar had, at least its a distinctly non-shaky movie.

Junkenstein 08-05-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzgal (Post 707758)
Me too, and the fact that other little dumbshit 20 year olds are making pilgrimages to the site means that he's potentially taking others with him.

natural selection. we can only hope, creeepy hipster genes shall extinguish.

Blitzgal 08-05-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 707762)
natural selection. we can only hope, creeepy hipster genes shall extinguish.


I still feel bad, because I fully agree with Keith and Chemda when they say that people under 25 still aren't grown. I didn't even realize how freakin' dumb I was at twenty until I was in my late twenties. I guess naive is the word I would use.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger