Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Stocking up on water and canned goods
I get it 69 65.71%
I don't get it 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

After just going through the Queensland floods in January, i can tell you that stocking up on bottled water and non-perishable food might seem silly, until you wake up one morning and realise you are literally stuck in your house for a week with no power and no water. Makes it a lot easier to relax.

Saying that, people need to calm the fu*k down. People were going absolutely mental and over the top. I saw one lady grab up about twelve loaves of bread (the last of it), and when the manager of the store told her she couldn't take it all, she threw it on the ground and STOMPED on it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
New York needs a cleansing? Nevermind Taxi Driver, sounds like Keith is finally coming round to McNally's way of thinking.

Also, instead of ruining women's names by calling hurricanes after them they should name hurricanes based on other things people should be afraid of. Like "Hurricane Rattlesnake" or "Hurricane Malaria" or "Hurricane Depleted Uranium". Or "Hurricane Elderly Woman On The Subway".
They also ruin men's names.. Don was a recent one that hit south texas ... although not much of a danger.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Hurricane FEMA
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Hurricane Cheney
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingindie View Post
Saying that, people need to calm the fu*k down. People were going absolutely mental and over the top. I saw one lady grab up about twelve loaves of bread (the last of it), and when the manager of the store told her she couldn't take it all, she threw it on the ground and STOMPED on it.
Hahaha, what the hell? What is wrong with people?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelath View Post
They also ruin men's names.. Don was a recent one that hit south texas ... although not much of a danger.
Didn't Andrew beat the shit out of Florida in the 90's?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky Jess Jess View Post
So... some tree-hugger once told me that all the oil we took from the ground was once lubricating all the 'continental plates' and now that they are not lubed up - they are causing friction in the form of more and more earthquakes....

Yeah, earthquakes are another issue that seem to be huge in the conspiracy corners of the internet. My co-worker goes on and on about the Madrid fault line and how it's been "reactivated" by the evil HAARP program, which was also used to cause the recent earthquake in Japan. It's all stupidity. The earth is not experiencing more earthquakes. The USGS keeps stats on them in handy chart form that you can see for yourself: Earthquakes

(My co-worker conveniently chooses to not believe the USGS website, as it is run by "the government" and "they lie.")

As for oil, it's inside the Earth's crust, not under it, and wouldn't be much help in lubricating anything considering the crust rests on a molten mantle that is between 500-900 degrees celsius. Any lubrication would burn up at that temperature.

We are able to produce some seismic activity through mining and dam building, but your hippie friend is still an idiot.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

From the National Weather Service, slurp:

Quote:
Experience shows that the use of short, distinctive given names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and less subject to error than the older more cumbersome latitude-longitude identification methods. These advantages are especially important in exchanging detailed storm information between hundreds of widely scattered stations, coastal bases, and ships at sea.

Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center. They are now maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization. The original name lists featured only women's names. In 1979, men's names were introduced and they alternate with the women's names. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2009 list will be used again in 2015. Here is more information about the history of naming hurricanes.

The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO committee (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it.

The lists are re-cycled every six years, i.e., the 2011 list will be used again in 2017. Several names have been changed since the lists were created. Here is more information about retired hurricane names.

In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on. If a storm forms in the off-season, it will take the next name in the list based on the current calendar date. For example, if a tropical cyclone formed on December 28th, it would take the name from the previous season's list of names. If a storm formed in February, it would be named from the subsequent season's list of names.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

New York in the rain.

I've been watching on the camera. Looks Okiliy Dokily to me.

Times Square Cam - EarthCam

I'm in the UK but I'm saving my pee in bottles just in case.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
From the National Weather Service, slurp:

Worldwide Tropical Cyclone Names
Hurricane Keith, the strongest hurricane of the 2000 Atlantic hurricane season, was a Caribbean hurricane that caused great damage across Belize and southern Mexico.
The name Keith was retired in the spring of 2001 and was replaced with Kirk, but the name Kirk has yet to be used, as the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season did not have enough storms to reach the name.