Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Mike Lawrence 65 69.89%
John F. O'Donnell 28 30.11%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1461: Know Your Audience

"Fuck you! Now I'm writin' your jokes. Go fuck yourself!"

Mike Lawrence Comedy
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I love me some Johnny O Donny high-velocity clowning but Mike Lawrence is a comedy sniper.

I mean, they're clearly both super-smart guys and I really dig the idea of what JFOD's going for with his unconventional "comedy revolution" malarky, but he hasn't brought his ideas together in a way that really pops yet so as of right now Mike is at least a league above him. Maybe even two.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i never bought an action figure in my life, but i really dont see why its bad.

isnt getting those as getting anything else, like music, books, movies, whatever? i dont get why its automatically identified with having no social life.

i dunno, i keep thinking one is a nerd because they have no social life SO they get those things. Not the reverse. meh. whatever.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I love me some Johnny O Donny high-velocity clowning but Mike Lawrence is a comedy sniper.

I mean, they're clearly both super-smart guys and I really dig the idea of what JFOD's going for with his unconventional "comedy revolution" malarky, but he hasn't brought his ideas together in a way that really pops yet so as of right now Mike is at least a league above him. Maybe even two.
Totally agree. The little quips he pulls out...how quickly he can tie ideas together and how it takes a second for others to catch up to him and then you're laughing...love it. True talent.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
i never bought an action figure in my life, but i really dont see why its bad.

isnt getting those as getting anything else, like music, books, movies, whatever? i dont get why its automatically identified with having no social life.

i dunno, i keep thinking one is a nerd because they have no social life SO they get those things. Not the reverse. meh. whatever.
I think it is the same as well, Junk. I know grown adults that still collect, some that paint models still, some that put together intricate Christmas villages. It is just paying attention to your interests....not being a loser. Now if that collection BECOMES your life, or keeps you from being productive that is a different thing all together.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

i mostly lack the focus to be a collector, i have too many interest to go on only one. but i like to spend my money on stuff i enjoy. of course going out or dating is important too but i can afford both.

plus i find people who spend all their salary paying to get into clubs a bit sadder than someone who sopends it on collectable stuff.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think there's a difference between being a collector/fan and being a nerd. A collector/fan is one who enjoys the memorabilia for nostalgic purposes, perhaps to profit financially eventually someday. A collector/fan also experiences the original source material differently depending on what stage of life he/she is in at the time. When Mike talks about the stories, characters, shows, etc. that he's into, he talks about them from an adult's perspective, talking about character growth, oddities, eccentricities, etc. He can relate to why it makes children happy, but he can also relate to how it draws adults as well.

Nerds fail to make this emotional growth. They think that just because they've aged, that they see the material as adults. Instead, they are just overgrown children, never understanding the difference in perspective. What's worse is that they think they do, and they get defensive and obnoxious when someone points out that they don't. They fail to see how lacking in maturity has made them social outcasts.

I don't see Mike Lawrence as a nerd, but rather as a collector/fan. He can easily separate himself from the fantasy world, but he chooses not to. I think he exists as a fully functioning adult in a fantasy world, and his comedy is proof of that. If he couldn't, he couldn't take the jabs at himself that he does. That's why I think he's awesome. I never realized how awesome he was until the roast, but that just adds more to it for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

haven't listened yet so I'm not voting in the poll but let me just say that Keith and Chemda if you are getting any flack about the "vip" thing fuck those people. You're show is bad assed. You've given blood sweat tears and your life energy to put out a top quality product. I appreciate ya'll and if any one can't appreciate the effort that goes into what you do then they don't deserve to listen. Ya'll give away a lot of stuff for free and don't require anything in return.

You've filled countless hours of my life with laughter and entertainment. Thank you sincerely for everything you do. I know how some "fans" can be about paying for shit. If you're even feeling a tiny bit of insecurity or angst about charging for archived shows and bonus material I just want to say DON'T.

You guys are fucking awesome. The end.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I heard John Oliver on another podcast (maybe The Nerdist?) and he was talking up Mike being on the stand up show and how great he was. Go Mike!

Has he got enough material to record an album?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I hope you like us both. No reason to pit us against each other, and my quibble was just that. Hes a funny, talented guy and hes got a good heart. There are scumbag bookers and asshole hecklers that really suck. Johns one of the good folks in an industry not exactly full of them, so please dont make us fight when the real battles go on.

Expect an album within the next two years. Its definitely in the works and will hopefully be called "Cone of Shame" since I love the movie Up and shame.