Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: WOMEN ONLY: Have you ever been raped?
Yes 6 4.96%
No 39 32.23%
I'm not a woman 76 62.81%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #51 (permalink)

Hypothetical situation:

There is a serial rapist out there that is only preying on blonde women. While many women would run to the store and dye their hair, some would not. Although definitely not deserving of rape, would the woman bear any responsiblity at all for not taking the necessary precautions and dying their hair to eliminate themselves as a potential target?

I don't know the answer but would like to hear some opinions. I'm well aware that rapists accost women of all ages, looks, etc. and that it is not about sex but about violence and such. Do most rapists prey on women who are more sexually appealing? I don't know the statistics. However if I was a woman I would take as many precautions as possible, whether it be how I dress or when I'm out at night or not being alone.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merodax View Post
Hypothetical situation:

There is a serial rapist out there that is only preying on blonde women. While many women would run to the store and dye their hair, some would not. Although definitely not deserving of rape, would the woman bear any responsiblity at all for not taking the necessary precautions and dying their hair to eliminate themselves as a potential target?
Real world situation:

Rapists don't like bullets hitting them at high velocity.

Telling someone to dress in a certain manner to avoid rape is like telling them to carry a gun to avoid rape. It's just not our culture. Except guns have a much better chance than a loose fitting sweatshirt at turning away a would be rapist.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Of course I did. "This bitch is on. Or is it bastard?"
missed it. i apologize for my lack of attention
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merodax View Post
Although definitely not deserving of rape, would the woman bear any responsiblity at all for not taking the necessary precautions and dying their hair to eliminate themselves as a potential target?

No. Here's a hypothetical for you. Every blonde woman is "responsible" and dyes her hair. Does he magically stop raping?

And there was a serial killer who did this. Ted Bundy raped and killed women who looked like the woman who dumped him. She had long brown hair parted in the middle.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm glad anytime the No Means No message is brought to the forefront of the wider cultural discussion but did anyone ever find out the full content of the cop's rape-prevention class?

It seems very likely that the part about dressing provocatively was only one facet of a larger talk in which he - from the standpoint of a professional law officer with years of experience and education in the field - aimed to educate young women on the multiple factors which could put a woman in danger.

I doubt the officer was saying style of dress was the major factor in victimisation and I also doubt that he was making his speech from the standpoint of victim-blaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I think the slut uniform mostly raises statistics of the party half-rapes where the dude fucks a half-conscious woman who can't consent. Those are probably more motivated by tits popping out than anything having to do with power.
Yep. It's dopey and dangerous to think all rapists are motivated by the same type of disfunction.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #56 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I think we can agree that there are some guys out there who would think "you don't really mean NO when you are dressed like that.

Of course I am not talking about opportunistic sex attacks but rather a situation where a girl goes with a guy, but decides she does not want to have sex with him. Some guys might think that dressing provocatively is like advertising for sex, where the girl did not see it that way. And some guys refuse to believe that a girl who's dressed "slutty" really means no when she says it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I understand that Keith and Chemda aren't trying to blame the victims by suggesting that what you wear can provoke a rape attack, but a lot of the opinions they were giving weren't statistically accurate at all.

This information was going around a bunch of blogs a few months ago. Google cached it here: Google Answers: Statistics: Rape cases & how the clothes of the victim is blamed?

But here are a few of the highlights from it:

Quote:
--------
Utah State University Sexual Assault and Anti Violence Information

Myth: Rape victims provoke the attach by wearing provocative clothing

- A Federal Commission on Crime of Violence Study found that only
4.4% of all reported rapes involved provocative behavior on the part
of the victim. In murder cases 22% involved such behavior (as simple
as a glance).

- Most convicted rapists do not remember what their victims were wearing.

- Victims range in age from days old to those in their nineties,
hardly provocative dressers.

-----------

Most sexual assault victims are wearing regular clothes like blue
jeans or pajamas when they are assaulted, not provocative clothing.

Prevention Pathways
Pathways Courses - Silence Hurts

-----------

Like domestic violence, rape is a crime of power and control. Myths
that rape only happens to young, beautiful women wearing provocative
clothing perpetuate the idea that rape is a crime of passion, when in
fact all women are vulnerable to rape, regardless of age, race, class,
education or physical appearance.
Research also shows that 60-75% of
rapes are premeditated and motivated by aggression and hatred, not
sex.?

Arizona?s State Plan on Domestic and Sexual Violence
http://www.governor.state.az.us/cyf/...%20Problem.pdf
It's not dressing up "slutty" that's making someone more likely to get raped, its looking vulnerable, or placing yourself in a vulnerable situation. A rapist is going to go after something they think is an easy target (like a robber). The shy withdrawn girl who doesn't like to seem "rude", a grandma who might not be able to fight back, a teenager who doesn't know she can say no, etc.

Pretty much every woman gets harassed or cat-called on the street. Whether you are wearing jeans, sweatpants, or a skirt. It's not hard to make the jump to realize that a rapist wouldn't give a shit about the clothing, they care about if they think can get get away with it.

And as a side note, if anyone wants to read a quick comic on how to deal with perverts in general: Sneaky VFX » Archive » Perverts
It's short, informative, and good to pass on to any kids that might have to deal with a pervert around them.

http://www.candicomics.com <--- comic!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starline View Post
It's not dressing up "slutty" that's making someone more likely to get raped, its looking vulnerable, or placing yourself in a vulnerable situation. A rapist is going to go after something they think is an easy target (like a robber). The shy withdrawn girl who doesn't like to seem "rude", a grandma who might not be able to fight back, a teenager who doesn't know she can say no, etc.

Pretty much every woman gets harassed or cat-called on the street. Whether you are wearing jeans, sweatpants, or a skirt. It's not hard to make the jump to realize that a rapist wouldn't give a shit about the clothing, they care about if they think can get get away with it.
One of Keith's points on this argument is that dressing provocatively and appearing vulnerable aren't mutally exclusive, his other point was that there are shitty people in shitty places and you should be aware.

If you're dressed in for example a miniskirt and high heels, I would bet this impedes ones ability to run away, thereby appearing vulnerable and if your in a shitty place with shitty people, the wrong kind of shitty people may take notice of this. The shy attribute is a good point but I think if grandma rapings were so prominent we might not be so shocked when we hear about one in the news.

The other thing both Keith and Chemda were trying to explain was that those points weren't revictimizing the victim and the rapist is still 100% at fault.

Last edited by Jo_Culprit; 09-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.