Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are you, or do you personally know, a hoarder?
Yes 42 41.18%
No 60 58.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1463: Cleanup Time

"Who cares if they think we're racist. Just go!"

Ari Shaffir : Comedian
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

When Chemda talks about the various problems she has at many different venues getting things set up for KATG anyone feel like 75% of the world has to be a fucking idiot for that to happen so many times?

Great show I dig Ari

Can't wait til the DC show is available
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I'm not sure why Ari brought up race when talking about the shitty experience with the venue in D.C. The dude that was rude to Chemda, wasn't just a shitty worker. He was a shitty black guy that fits the lazy black stereotype?

On the subject of hoarding, I don't consider myself a hoarder but I do tend to live in a lot of clutter. Sometimes my place starts to look like a hoarders apartment.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Lizard View Post
When Chemda talks about the various problems she has at many different venues getting things set up for KATG anyone feel like 75% of the world has to be a fucking idiot for that to happen so many times?
well yes but general everyday life has taught me that. From the first job I ever had I realised most things were run by a bunch of fools, making it up as they go along and trying to create the illusion to the public that every thing is fine.

Another great new guest. Hope we hear him again.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

On your talk about the Holocaust Museum

Keith, when you talked about touching the old prisoner uniforms and feeling creepy.... I went to Auschwitz a few years ago during the Spring. It was one of the creepist experiences of my life. The moment I walked into the camp I couldn't hear any ambient sounds. No bird chirps, even the wind doesn't make noise. Strangest thing. If you ever manage to tour Europe I would recommend visiting. It's amazing how much destruction people are capable of.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

The lady up the street from my parents is a hoarder. She's got crap piled up to the ceiling with little tiny pathways for her to walk through. We didn't know for years because she keeps the place closed up tight and is really nasty to anyone she sees on the rare occasions that she leaves the house. So no one in the neighborhood really socializes with her. But one winter she fell at the end of her driveway and our neighbor went over to help her. He was the first person to go near her house in years, as far as I can tell. She has grown children who never come to see her. I don't know what's going to happen when she passes away. I don't know if it's appropriate for neighbors to do welfare checks or if that's intrusive. But she could be dead in there for weeks before anybody finds her.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

The hoarder I know would be my great aunt I've never seen her nasty house but from what I've heard she's also one of those animal hoarders and has like 13 cats that are always getting diseased (this happens a lot on the show Hoarders and I wonder why no one ever gets in trouble for animal cruelty let alone in the end they are allowed to have animals again). Her husband never wanted to come home because of the mess, and every time he talked to her about it or wanted to clean it up it broke out into a fight. Around this time his son became a convicted child molester and the state continued to fine him for the disgusting house so he took up a lot of drinking. To get away from it all he decided to rent out a shitty trailer to live in.

Eventually the house he paid for got condemned and destroyed taking everything with it and he thought if he moved his wife into the trailer with him maybe they could start over and it wouldn't happen because it was such a small space. Well while he continued to go off to work to continue to pay off all the court fines his wife began to go to thrift stores and garage sales daily and it just happened again.

They are still together, but they just don't talk and he never comes home as he drinks all the time. His like 65 so I guess his in the generation where they just don't believe in getting divorced but damn.

Also on the show Hoarders there was an episode with a girl that almost sounds like the guest Chemda described. She was well put together and had a very professional job, so much so that when all her friends and boyfriend came to her house they couldn't believe it. I think she sought help from the show because it was ruining her professional life because she could never locate important paper work.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

My girlfriend's mom is a hoarder. I remember walking into her apartment and being astonished that there was NO free space other than to walk.

She had to move so we helped her clean, but it was pointless. I'd throw out random pieces of paper (OLD best buy flyers) and she would take them out of the garbage. It is sad. Apparently, it only started happening after she got divorced.

I think the problem with the show is that they don't emphasize getting these people psychological help. Getting rid of the stuff is only a temporary solution.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

im going to throw away everything i own now. pre-emptive disorder prevention homies.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm going to try to defend DC, after all Philly is my home town. But I will have to say the feeling Keith describes I have felt it more walking around NYC/Brooklyn than my daily comings and goings in DC. Sure there are a lot of areas where I feel threatened (Gallery Place, U St., NE and SE) but plenty of areas where I dont.

NYC just feels hostile. Maybe that's because of the attitude Chemda was talking about where people are just aggressive even in a serving capacity; they dont even really intend to physically harm you but yet they are unmistakably hostile to you being there/talking to them. Then combined with the actual crazies and mug/murder types, there ya go.

Also @Vampire: Yes. I'm not a performer type but it does blow my mind all the problems these venues have, many of the same issues in the different places. You would think there were more competent venue owners/operators who learn lessons from others in the industry making these mistakes.

I'm in.
aka Straight Edge Greg

Last edited by Alekseyev; 09-21-2011 at 10:53 PM.