Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are you bored when you're not drinking?
Yes 27 25.23%
No 80 74.77%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Sounds to me like Chemda and Keith were both experiencing hyperventilation of some sort.

As I understand it, hyperventilation and panic attacks, are your body's reaction to getting too much or too little oxygen.
That can cause all kind of weird effects, which fortunately are temporary.
You may get very anxious, have shallow breathing, or suffer sensory disturbances like tingling, pricking or numbness or having chest pains.
Or even having hallucinations, not being able to understand words, or losing part of your sight, or depersonalization, derealization.

Your doctor is not calling you panicky or simply pulling the "stress"-card, but he is naming a concrete, physical thing caused by mental and/or physical stress.
The cause for this type of disturbances in your oxygen-household can be purely physical as well, I think.
For instance, if you have trouble breathing in your sleep for whatever reason, you could wake up hyperventilating.

That's what happened to me a few times, and I've had all the special effects I've mentioned above, and more.
In my mind the direct cause was physical rather then mental.
I also suspect age may be a factor, as I've heard a lot of people in our age group with similar experiences.

After an episode, your body needs time to get it's oxygen level normal again.
Unfortunately, the scary effects of hyperventilation and panic attacks can make the attack worse, by scaring you so much that you can't breath right.
There are simple things you can do, like breathing into a bag, but you should ask advice from a doctor before you do that.
Anyway, such attacks are definitely a sign that you should try and take it easy for a while, and get your body in balance.

Last edited by Namdnal Siroj; 09-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Whew. I thought it had something to do with all the booze I drank. That sure is a load off my mind.

PARTY: ON!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Typically am I bored without drinking? No. If I had to be at bars or clubs alot without drinking though, then yes.

Keith just needs to fill his time with other things while Cat is gone.
Maybe hit the gym for longer periods of time, since you don't have any incentive to get home quickly, added benefit of showing off for your girl when she comes back.
I like this guy!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Medium Brumski? Please... I've never seen a bigger mess.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

I only drink a few times a year, but I can still relate to the question.

I think I have an eating disorder of some sorts where food is my comfort, and when I sit down to play a video game, or surf the web, some passive activity like that... I feel as though I have to multi task in many different ways. Such as if I'm playing a simple game not only must I have a podcast going on in the background but I feel as though I have to have something to constantly snack on. If I don't it drives me crazy...

This I'm trying to change

that and Cheetos orange gets everywhere
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

When the medicine stops working, you gotta up the dosage. Cuz there's only one kinda party when doc's out of the building. OWWWWWW!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
They call me B. Jason

Panic attacks have nothing to do with O2 saturation. You can hyperventilate during one and exacerbate the problem, but no source I've ever consulted makes any correlation between the onset of panic attacks and a lack or overabundance of oxygen.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Keith just needs to fill his time with other things while Cat is gone. Maybe hit the gym for longer periods of time, since you don't have any incentive to get home quickly, added benefit of showing off for your girl when she comes back.
Or, just a thought here, we could all pitch in to have a 30-pound beer stein made so Keith could get some of his weight training done at the same time he's drinking.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

You might want to point out to Peyton Clarkson that google will use an exception list in its searches in order to refine results better. This means that words like “the” “and” “is” etc are not even considered when it cross references the words you have typed into the search box against it’s massive database of website contents. This means he has no reason to worry about the website URL not returning his name correctly.

Furthermore he should perhaps man up a little and accept the cold hard truth that for better or for worse it is in the interests of a self employed stand up comic to cover every base possible in terms of promoting him or herself.

Not wanting to sound cold as he was a good guest but it did sound a little like he was making excuses for not doing the obvious.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicBoy View Post
Panic attacks have nothing to do with O2 saturation. You can hyperventilate during one and exacerbate the problem, but no source I've ever consulted makes any correlation between the onset of panic attacks and a lack or overabundance of oxygen.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Hyperventilation syndrome — Breathing from the chest may cause overbreathing, exhaling excess carbon dioxide in relation to the amount of oxygen in one's bloodstream. Hyperventilation syndrome can cause respiratory alkalosis and hypocapnia. This syndrome often involves prominent mouth breathing as well. This causes a cluster of symptoms including rapid heart beat, dizziness, and lightheadedness which can trigger panic attacks.

Last edited by Namdnal Siroj; 09-30-2011 at 04:09 AM.