Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should a show guest be able to share private things before a KATG show?
No. Look at that time as if it were a pre-interview. 50 50.51%
Yes. It’s called friendship. 49 49.49%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1476: Tears for Fears

"Can you stop trusting me? My heart can't handle it!"

Comedian Pat Dixon
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

A couple of things for this show to consider.

1. Studio door: This show is being recorded
2. Forums: We reserve the right to review and reference previous posts.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Listened to this just after listening to Pat's New York Crime Report, and he seems pretty irritated about this Sheehan verdict. A couple of points that he left out of both shows:

1) her husband was a cop, so if he was abusing her, she had fewer resources because she'd have to report it to his buddies and co-workers
2) their children and friends testified to the abuse, including the most recent incident in which he bashed her head into a cinder block

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/ny...-to-trial.html

Quote:
The evidence was unequivocal on two points. First, Ms. Sheehan killed her husband, a retired police officer also named Raymond Sheehan, shooting him 11 times with two of his guns. Second, she had been battered physically and emotionally for years. Testimony from her children, co-workers and friends filled a scrapbook of misery.

Ms. Sheehan claimed she acted out of fear for her life, as her husband’s furies were reaching new heights with their youngest child away at college. On the morning of his death, she testified, he pointed a gun and threatened to kill her when she refused to go with him to Florida for a vacation.
The prosecution also actively tried to downplay the physical wounds that family and friends have witnessed over the years: "Sure, she had a gash in her head, but it was only an inch long gash." Or they flat out said that their children, her co-workers, and family friends were all lying about it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, I know nothing about that case, but that article seems to make things pretty clear. Quote from prosecution:

"Think of where we would be if only a fraction of abused women took the law into their own hands, as Barbara Sheehan allegedly did."

Um, a better society?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ideally, I'd like for her to have been able to just leave. But I honestly believe that she had a legitimate fear for her life.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Concerning the poll: I believe that since the studio is your place of work, any and all things said in the studio can be used for your work. It isn't anything against friendly conversation, but if someone has something personal to say, don't do it in your work environment.

Last edited by DozerMungus; 10-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

How low would the percentage of voter turn out have to be for Keith's plan to work?
From what I hear the USA only averages 60% turn out already and the politicians seem to actively make it hard for people to vote. Maybe its just whichever party is in charge at the time that doesn't want people to turn up as it helps keep them in power?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I phoned my ex wife last week to let her know that the dog we bought together had to be put to sleep. It was the 1st time we had spoken in 6 years. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Keith is completely right in this case. Save the very personal or confidential stuff for after the show.

Every time a guest brings up something else the hosts can't talk about, it leads to more thinking and anxiety on the part of the host. They have to make an effort to not speak about it or ask questions that could lead to speaking about it.

There isn't that much time between the beginning of the show and the end of it, so I imagine the guests should be able to handle keeping that sort of thing to themselves until after the recording.

Although...if you don't want people to vote for a poll before a show starts, never put it up until after the show. You know how the Internet works. People can't help themselves.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Ideally, I'd like for her to have been able to just leave. But I honestly believe that she had a legitimate fear for her life.
Ideally, that guy wouldn't exist.