Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you care?
Yes 89 67.42%
No 43 32.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1484: Handle with Care

"It's cutthroat! It is cutthroat backstage!"

Trey Galyon

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

“This is why black people have a bad name in this country”, what the fuck, Trey. The story didn’t even take place in America let alone the fact that no one made mention of race. Also Keith and Chemda were right, all that was initially said was “hip-hop artist.”

On the topic of whether you care or not, no I don’t. I’m a giant ball of indifference. I don’t feel bad about things I can’t personally change. Hanging up a sign or signing a petition is the minimum amount of effort that someone can do to change something and truthfully in most, if not all, cases they don’t/won’t work. All that is accomplished is that the person making the sign can now say to themselves that they did “something” and hopefully quiet their nagging conscience. So when the next generation of babies are born with extra digits and legions in their brain because of the drinking water, the person can excuse themselves and say, “hey I signed a petition its not my fault.”

Edit: In that GASLAND trailer the scene where the dude walks out of the interview, looks like two totally different rooms and two totally different guys. I'm not saying that at no point did anyone walk out of an on going interview because they didn't like the line of questioning but in that particular scene it doesn't look like that guy did. Both sides employ tricky editing to elicit whatever emotion they want. Hence my indifference, I need/want just the facts pros and cons about fracing so I can make a decision on my own. However that would take proactivness and a an assertive attitude on my part, unfortunately along with being indifferent I am also very lazy.

Last edited by invader; 10-26-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

My favourite "the world is fucked" song from this year: Goyte - Eyes Wide Open

Gotye - Eyes Wide Open - official film clip - YouTube

With our eyes wide open we... (x2)

So this is the end of the story
Everything we had, everything we did
Is buried in dust
And this dust is all that's left of us
And only a few ever worried

While the signs were clear
They had no idea
You just get used to living in fear
Or give up
When you can't even picture your future

We walk the plank with our eyes wide open

Some people offered up answers
We made out like we heard
They were only words
They didn't add up
To a change in the way we were living
And the saddest thing
Is all of it could have been avoided

But it was like to stop consuming's to stop being human
And why'd I make a change if you won't?
We're all in the same boat
Staying afloat for the moment

We walk the plank with our eyes wide open

With our eyes wide open we
We walk the plank, we walk the plank

So that is the end of the story

Last edited by WittyReference; 10-26-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: tried to embed video but couldn't get it to work
Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

The gas mining debate is running hot in Queensland Australia at the moment. The state govt put aside areas marked for food production only and even those areas are still being looked at by the mining companies. As far as I understand, it was decided that farmers only own their property down to the depth of the top soil and anything under that the government still owns so these companies don't even need permission to come onto your property to do test drilling exploration.

I care but 20 years of butting your head against the majority that don't got tiresome and now I prefer to maintain my sanity by avoiding the news where ever I can. Things won't change until the world is so fucked that big companies profits go down and then watch how quickly they can make changes.

Remember how people thought there was no way to get rid of CFCs from aerosol cans in the 80's that were causing the ozone layer to deplete? We got that problem fixed in a couple of years when governments actually made legislation about it. The vested interests love selling people on the idea that change is HAAARRRDDDD! The mining companies here spend millions on tv adds telling everyone how great they are and how hard done by they are. The irony of them spending money to tell you they don't have money seems to be lost on most people.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyReference View Post
My favourite "the world is fucked" song from this year: Goyte - Eyes Wide Open
Dude's a regular Midnight Oil.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

With the Australian clusterfuck: our gas companies are protected by leglislation that allows them to walk onto people's land and set up fracking infrastructure and the land owners can't do a fucking thing about it nor can they get any compensation for it. State Governments are falling over themselves to get these companies on board because of the royalties they get from the end resource. Additionally, any local councils who try to leglislate against the mining companies are being hauled into court and sued for damaging the profit potential of the mining companies.

The assertion that flammable water is not a result of the fracking process - bullshit. Landowners are reporting the exact same thing happening to them down here and only since the gas companies started their plants up.

http://youtu.be/2Q65F9JteQo

There is a movement against fracking that is starting to take hold in Austrlai but it's very much a David and Goliath battle. We are very much guided by what is happening right now in America.

The corporations will probably win.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 10-27-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
On the topic of whether you care or not, no I don’t. I’m a giant ball of indifference. ...
If you'd left it there, I might have believed you.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

I work in the natural gas industry and I can tell you this film is mostly propaganda! Hydraulic fracturing has been going on since the late 1940's without a single documented instance of polluting ground water. This method has been used countless times, millions actually, over the past 60 years without issue but all of the sudden its in the news so people have a problem . These wells are drilled over 6000 feet into the ground, well below the water table and its been documented that the case in Colorado with the gas in the sink had nothing to do with drilling. Here's a good article from the Washington examiner listing more evidence against this guys bs.

Nothing but hot air in 'Gasland' | Mark Hemingway | Columnists | Washington Examiner
Go Bucks!

Last edited by Kyle; 02-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I care but I think everyone cares somewhat. If you didn't you'd live in a world where your existence and actions literally didn't matter whatsoever. Most believe each of us are unique and should add to the world in a positive way but that its hopeless so why bother. And so we sit somewhere between hedonist and hippie.

My opinion is that where you place yourself between the two extreems is fairly arbitrary because its caused by your education and upbringing and what documentary you saw last week etc. Neither you nor I are likely to be right about how humans should live though because assuming you are in the top 5% of wealth worldwide (based on the fact that you have food in your belly and a computer and shelter) we are part of the problem. We could also be part of the solution, but more likely we'll protect our interests because they are the greatest.

So if I'm right and its a roll of the dice as to how hippieish we're all prepared to be on a given day. How can we judge others who learnt something slightly different. If we have an unsustainable lifestyle, which I would contend everyone reading this does, and we aren't prepared to change because we'd have to stop listening to katg, where does that leave us...

It leaves me in a position where I care enough to answer yes to a poll "do I care" but not enough to change anything. The changes I'd have to make only to stop taking more than my fair share of the earths resources would make me a caveman and the effect in the grand scheme would be insignificant and I'd be a caveman.

None of us can fix the world by stopping the energy companies or politicians. Probably the best thing we can do is become famous and bring some of these issues to light and educate more people and they'll pass it on because that will slowly but surely help. So well done to Keith for doing exactly that.

In conclusion. Go green...but don't be a douche about it
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Angry Poll

Note to self - don't vote blindly on the question until you know what it is referencing.