Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Where do you fit in?
99% 93 76.86%
1% 28 23.14%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish J View Post
I have collage debt too, that was my mistake not freddie or fannie. and it defiantly wasn't an Italian car manufacturer.
If it was just you that got conned, I might agree that it was your fault. But our whole generation got conned, and more than once. There's something to that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kultcher View Post

On the one hand you could say it's my fault for buying into the bullshit, but are we really expecting 17 and 18 year olds to know the difference? And you know maybe you can blame my parents, but honestly they weren't educated people. They didn't know the difference either. So now I've got a pretty worthless degree and about $30k in student loans before interest, and I'd say that's on the low end of things compared to many.
You went to become a English major and never read a book about college? You never talked to a guidance councilor or looked into anything at all ? I went through high school for about 3 years altogether and from freshman year on we were told that you there are degrees that pay and those that don't. At 14 I knew and English major was a teacher and that's about it.

There are a lot of jobs that do require degrees but contrary to popular belief many of them will take you based on the interview and how you present yourself. I've been working in IT for 6 years and have had 4 jobs, each with a larger paycheck, and have never gotten a degree. I can sell myself and I work my ass off to out perform those around me, it makes me money.
The SSgt has it exactly right.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtballard View Post
There are a lot of jobs that do require degrees but contrary to popular belief many of them will take you based on the interview and how you present yourself. I've been working in IT for 6 years and have had 4 jobs, each with a larger paycheck, and have never gotten a degree. I can sell myself and I work my ass off to out perform those around me, it makes me money.

But you are required to maintain a certain level of continuing education by taking classes and tests so that you are certified in the programs that you need to work with, are you not? My step-father is a computer engineer and he is continually required to take classes and pass certification exams. He's in one right now. I think his job pays for a portion of it but not all of it.

I know a lot of people without degrees who do not even make it to the interview level because the places they're applying to take one glance at their resume and throw it away. Secretaries are required to have bachelor's degrees today.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
I know a lot of people without degrees who do not even make it to the interview level because the places they're applying to take one glance at their resume and throw it away. Secretaries are required to have bachelor's degrees today.
No, I don't have to have a certifications. I would like to get some but they make better sense than college. 100 for the books 250 for the test, almost guaranteed job with a CCNA.

I work with around 400 people in my section, half of us have degree's. None of the secretary's do.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kultcher View Post
If it was just you that got conned, I might agree that it was your fault. But our whole generation got conned, and more than once. There's something to that.
Right, we all got conned into asking for money. I can see how i missed that.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:

The cultural expectation of needing a college degree to find a job is the con.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
The cultural expectation of needing a college degree to find a job is the con.
I understand, I was mistaken on what the actual issue was. The generation after mine must have just come out dumber, easier to con than mine.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #48 (permalink)

interesting take Blitz, but the fact remains that no one was holding a gun to anyone's head. If you don't believe in the idea of it why participate. Sallie mae calls me relentlessly because of my decision, not because of the fact that i was required, or expected to have a degree.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
We got conned into buying an a magical ticket to future money making in the form of a degree, but by the time we graduated, the magic was all gone.

I know that's not always the story. Many degree holders are gainfully employed. But a whole fuckton of them aren't.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtballard View Post
I understand, I was mistaken on what the actual issue was. The generation after mine must have just come out dumber, easier to con than mine.
apparently not, mr. bitter mcdonalds