Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: The high school football coach
Keith's right 40 31.25%
Chemda's right 88 68.75%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

A coach yelling at me has never helped 'us' win the game.

Its the coaches job to apply strategy. Keith is right. The coach is upset that he sucks at coaching. I wonder if there is context before that. Did the coach say 'You ran man when I said blitz...' was there anything about the game prior to that?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

In highschool I was in powerlifting, and at my first meet one of my coaches came up to me and started screaming and slapping me in the face. I didn't expect it at all but, when he pushed me up to the squat rack, I had all sorts of extra adrenaline pumping through me and it was the easiest 300 lbs I've ever had on my back. He wasn't calling me a useless piece of shit though, just getting me amped, but I can see how from a bystanders point of view it would have looked abusive.

It's one of those things- would you rather your kid get a slap in the face to make them perform, or watch their knees buckle with 300 lbs on their back/getting smashed into the ground by a linebacker because they weren't amped.

Last edited by EthanK; 11-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

religion sure has a way to get stuck in your brain.
I'm an atheist, the whole family was never really religious so I haven't been to mass much but I still instantly remembered how that prayer goes in German:
"Der Herr sei mit euch. - Und mit deinem Geist."
So we had "spirit" all along. Isn't it weird that they claim to just now have figured that translation issue out?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

nature of the athletics

This happened to me in highschool and college and it made me better.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

When I was in high school band, we got yelled at like this. If our fundamentals were slipping, or we kept screwing up forms in our halftime show, or even if there was trash in the band room, we'd get yelled at. Sure, they started small with announcements in level-headed tones, but eventually it'd ramp up to full-on screaming.

As I see it, Chemda is right on about it. It's about wanting it, and if you make piss-poor mistakes like that, you're not motivated. And, you know, if you're a high school football coach, or a band director, and that's all you've got going for you, wouldn't you be furious that they wanna mess that up for you?

Meanwhile, if it's like that all the time, he's no good. If you start the beginning of the season yelling at your players, and you've got no respect from them, odds are that you'll never have it. I'm pretty sure he does yell like that, all the time, because if it's your first time yelling, I doubt they'd be prepared to get it all on tape.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm an adult and I liked Puss and Boots. I liked all the Shrek movies. They have good timing, and they are adorable and they make me feel good about life.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
religion sure has a way to get stuck in your brain.
I'm an atheist, the whole family was never really religious so I haven't been to mass much but I still instantly remembered how that prayer goes in German:
"Der Herr sei mit euch. - Und mit deinem Geist."
So we had "spirit" all along. Isn't it weird that they claim to just now have figured that translation issue out?
The English language translation team in the '60 and '70 was trying to be "relevant" and played fast and loose with the Latin. All the other languages stuck to the official Latin text. Now the English speaking world is cleaning up its mess and catching up with the rest of the world. It's taken this long because of things like they spent 2 years debating whether people could be taught the meaning of a single word like "consubstantial".

Last edited by Lura; 11-09-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Lauren's Director Point of View

I completely relate to Directors flipping out.

I was in a high school production that had over 2 months of rehearsals and preparation, and it was one day before showtime. Some of the people had obviously not learnt their lines yet, or their choreography but they were playing everything by ear. When it started to show that not everyone had put in the effort our Director started to flip out. She went on about how angry she was, and how she put her time and effort into this production and how it was going to look bad on her. She gave the lecture in a general way without singling out people but didn't go as far as the coach did, but you can see it in her face that she was livid. After almost calling off a full-dress rehearsal, she resumed her Directorial duties as if nothing happened. In the end we always knew that she loved us, she was very motherly and encouraging throughout, but when she gave us that lecture she scared us into pulling our act together.

I think I agree with Chemda in the poll, and also... some people can be real A-holes because they mess about and don't take what the Coach (Director) is trying to do seriously, So they have to be scared into acting serious. And my 17 year old self was definitely 'scared straight' even though I'd learned my part.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon View Post
If you start the beginning of the season yelling at your players, and you've got no respect from them, odds are that you'll never have it.
Yes, exactly! From my perspective, we weren't treated like that from the beginning. Hell, sometimes we were just lounging about in rehearsals discussing shite and waiting for set-fixes and backdrop issues. But we had to pull our act together when the going got tough.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Keith's right. It's not the yelling that's off, it's what he's yelling. This guy isn't hollering the speech of the a general on the battle field, he's hollering the tantrum of the child in the sandpit.

This speech would have made me want to pull pranks on the guy, not die for him.