Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Facebook
Keith's right 41 33.33%
Chemda's right 82 66.67%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
For an allowance? I don't mean to judge your parenting, but doesn't he understand that holes just need dug, and that's the beginning and end of it?
Please try to refrain from projecting your father onto others. I was attempting to teach a 10 year old a valuable lesson about sweat and money. He is one of the few kids around that will ask how much something costs before he declares that he wants it. I think maybe some of that lesson got through.

I'm sorry that you had to dig holes for free. I try to buy from your store as often as possible. Hopefully some of those purchases are profitable for you (/store), and I would like to think that I buy things because you told me a good heartfelt story once that gave me a good idea. So now in the present, you are making money which directly comes from your hole digging in the past.

Tada... and the wisdom is passed along.

This message brought to you by rawwwr rawwwr. No wait!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Relax. It was a joke based on what i thought was your joke.

You're the greatest parent in town.

Though it might benefit you to have him work on the house instead of tearing up your yard... Not for nothin'...
Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

I agree with Keith, allowance is retarded.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawdog View Post
My girlfriend's kid is thirteen now, she wasn't allowed on facebook until her birthday. Since then all it's seemed to breed is drama, either it's online bitch-fights, friendships breaking up or these teenage girls whoring it up.
I was picked on and bullied constantly as a teenager and ended up with manic depression. I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had the internet and smart phones then. I at least got some respite from it all when I went home.

But then it's possible I would have found an online community that was more accepting so.... shrug?

I first found a stack of playboys when I was 9 but I guess that's a bit tamer then what's on the net.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Relax. It was a joke based on what i thought was your joke.

You're the greatest parent in town.

Though it might benefit you to have him work on the house instead of tearing up your yard... Not for nothin'...
I too thought I was replying in humor... oh wells... Please forgive me, I'm not a pro...

As for future reference for a future daddy... any project you give your 12 year old on a house will be a tearing up the house project. Be prepared to fix everything. Be prepared to fix everything before your wife gets back if you want to continue your supervisory role.

- - -
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Not only should children be barred from accessing social networking sites as well as the majority of the Internet for their own personal safety, they should be banned in order to raise the overall average intelligence of those who comment or blog on the Internet. I would go so far as to suggest a spelling and grammar test before being allowed to post anything written on the Web.

I've not had a Facebook account in years, but I do use Twitter and Instagram daily. Just look at the "Popular" page on Instagram at any given time and you're likely to see some preteen or teenage girl showing off her sexiest pose. Underneath pictures such as that are scores of guys (a sizable amount being adults) making suggestive or blatant sexual / flirtatious comments. Maybe not as bad as being a pedophile, but still pretty bad, is the poor grammar and spelling. You're and your are not the same word, you fucking idiots.

With banning all children from the Internet as well as implementing a spelling and grammar test before being allowed to post anything typed on the Internet, society as a whole will benefit intellectually. The clutter and noise found everywhere on the Internet would nearly be extinguished. YouTube comments will actually make sense, iTunes and App Store reviews would have fewer 1 star reviews, fewer children would be molested, and Jesus would return to Earth to claim all the souls worthy of spending their afterlife in the glory of Heaven.

-Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

i heard the whole argument only now and i have to say, keith is defnitely more right. yes i see chemda's point. the kid shouldnt be isolated. but the web is way too dangerous and full of sick people. and even if i tried really hard, i couldne keep check of my kid 100% of the time when hes there. so better safe than sorry: no internet until he knows how to handle it (which might never happen, but if he messes up after 18, its his responsiblity and not mine).

PS: can i ask parents to step down from your pedestal and just debate this like normal people? you know, the fact that you have kids and i dont doesnt mean you're enlightened and automatically right. Maybe you fucked up.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Kat

Keith: Go take your blood pressure medication and sit down. This one is going to send you through the roof.

My 8-year-old son has Facebook, and has for at least a year. GASP!

It started as a way for him to play Farmville with this Grandma several states away. (He is the youngest of her grandchildren and this was a good way for her to get to keep in contact with him as much as she wanted.) His only friends were me, dad, and Grandma. His older cousin saw him listed on Grandma's friend list, and asked if she (then 9-years-old) could have a Facebook so she could say hi and they could post pictures to each other. He now has 23 Facebook friends, all family (or so close they might as well be family). It's been great to see the kids being a part of each other's everyday lives, even though they are separated by thousands of miles. The teenagers even tell their friends to watch their language and what they post, because little one's could be watching and don't need to be dragged into the drama.

I'm not saying our kids are perfect. But my sister-in-law knows I will call her if I see anything questionable that she needs to be aware of, and vice-versa. And the kids all know that we are available to them 24/7 to be the grownups in their lives and help them make good decisions, even from so far away.

Facebook isn't all evil. Just like Keith isn't always an asshole.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

These kids and all their luxuries. They have no idea how hard we had it growing up. When I was a kid, I didn't have Farmville to play with my grandmother. As a result, I never got to connect with her. There was no possible way for me to spend time with her due to a lack of Internet games. As a result, she was always a stranger to me. In February of this year, she died. I blame Mark Zuckerberg for my lack of a meaningful relationship with my Gran-Gran. Had he invented Facebook sooner, then Zynga could have developed Farmville sooner and I would have been able to spend meaningful time with my grandmother.

I take it all back. Children should be issued a Facebook, XBOX Live, and accounts for gaming / social networking sites to be named later along with their Social Security Numbers and birth certificates. Without this, how can kids spend time with their families?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

I completely understand the concept of the VIP section of KaTG and for the life of me, I can't understand the rampant opposition to it from some quarters.

I had a balls to the wall argument with a work colleague the other day about digital books and she couldn't seem to get the notion that it is fair and proper for an author to legitimately sell a digital version of their book and expect recompense for it simply because it is a digital book - not something that you can hold in your hand. I busted my arse for almost two years writing and editing my novel, submitting it to publishers and then working with my publisher to get it out into the market place. Just because it is available as a digital edition (as well as print) doesn't mean I don't have the right to earn an income from it. It took a supreme amount of effort on my part not to slap the stupid bitch in the side of the head.

I argue the same point for the digital content that Keith and Chemda produce - that they well justified in charging for it and deriving an income from it. They pour their hearts and souls into this enterprise and just because - it could be argued - not as tangible as a CD or book does not mean that any less effort went into the production of it. To all the VIP haters out there - quit being such cheap fucks and invest a little of your hard earned in something of value.

With respect to Rick "Fuckwit" Perry - I thought this video was pretty good...

http://youtu.be/ppOpOv_kv2s

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 12-14-2011 at 12:57 PM.