Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Would Keith make a good parent?
Yes 84 68.85%
No 38 31.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I have a 15 year old daughter and 12 year old son. The 15 year old was absolutely not allowed on FB until she turned 13. There was NO WAY I was going to let her lie about her age. FB says it's 13, then it's 13.

So, guess what happened with my son? He had a religious class that wanted him on FB for some charity project he was doing. I hemmed and hawed about it. I really didn't want him to have an account. And then the school emailed us and said, "nevermind, too many parents have concerns, so we will do this another way." And they did.

He won't be on FB till he turns 13 (a whopping 4 months from now).

They'll live without FB. I even hate them being on at 13. But I'll live with that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Honestly, I think Keith would make a MUCH better parent than Chemda. Keith has clear points he believes in. Ask him again in ten years and he'll still believe them. Chemda is so fluid in her beliefs that her kid wouldn't have any clue how to act. Regardless of whether that's a good thing in general (I strongly disagree, but it's more debatable), when you're raising a child, I don't believe that changing your mind is a good thing.

As to whether Keith can raise a kid with his ideals, I think I was partially raised by Keith. I started listening pretty much around the time the show started and I'm 19 now, so I started when I was around 12. My dad's work takes him outside the country for most of the year so I only see him for maybe a month in total every year. Keith is essentially a parental figure for me. Chemda not as much, 'cause I don't agree with Chemda nearly as much. Not that I don't agree with Chemda on things, but I agree with Keith on nearly every point. And those points that we disagree on are mostly subjects that one of us has no clue about, so I don't think those even count. The point is, I grew up totally fine. I'm in my second year at the University of Toronto, one of the top universities in the world, studying computer science. I've never done anything against my own morals.

Keith cannot be more right about the Facebook thing, by the way. I did use the internet when I was 12, and I have a lot of things I posted logged. I was a fucking idiot. I should not have been on the internet when I was 12. That's a ridiculous idea. Things should be black and white. It is NOT narrow minded. That's like saying that you should be allowed to drive as soon as you think you're mature enough. That's fucking retarded. Things are black and white. Murdering someone? Bad. Not murdering someone? Good. Now, obviously, there are twelve year olds that could handle using Facebook. How the heck are you going to tell? You should not be able to to vote if you think that twelve year olds, in general, are responsible enough to use Facebook. I don't trust a twelve year old to make fun of his friends' breakfasts.

EDIT: By the way, what kind of lesson is it to your kids that it's okay to not obey a site's rules?

Edited to add: Case dismissed, your honour.

Last edited by Sashi; 12-23-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

I don't think it's a coincidence that people who support Keith in these Keith vs. Chemda arguments tend to sound pretty earnestly dumb.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I think YOU'RE earnestly dumb. VERY earnestly.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Its clear that the real idea behind the adoption was to push Emmy toward greatness.
Chemda adopted a kid going to NYU on a full scholarship and laughed at a lost 13 year old kid in need. Keith told him "I love you as you are, and I'll always believe in you"

Who's really the better parent?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I have a 15 year old daughter and 12 year old son. The 15 year old was absolutely not allowed on FB until she turned 13. There was NO WAY I was going to let her lie about her age. FB says it's 13, then it's 13.

So, guess what happened with my son? He had a religious class that wanted him on FB for some charity project he was doing. I hemmed and hawed about it. I really didn't want him to have an account. And then the school emailed us and said, "nevermind, too many parents have concerns, so we will do this another way." And they did.

He won't be on FB till he turns 13 (a whopping 4 months from now).

They'll live without FB. I even hate them being on at 13. But I'll live with that.
The real issue is way too many parents are having kids that are too young. Get some older kids and Facebook won't be a problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think YOU'RE earnestly dumb. VERY earnestly.
It's always a riot when you just repeat what somebody said. Always.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
The real issue is way too many parents are having kids that are too young. Get some older kids and Facebook won't be a problem.
Yeah, we'll see what we can do about that.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
It's always a riot when you just repeat what somebody said. Always.
You earnestly don't enjoy that.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Chemda adopted a kid going to NYU on a full scholarship and laughed at a lost 13 year old kid in need. Keith told him "I love you as you are, and I'll always believe in you"

Who's really the better parent?
keith absolutely. i think i havent expressed myself well.