Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Keith's dad still affect him?
Yes 109 90.08%
No 12 9.92%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Face View Post
I was really impressed by Pat so much in this episode. He really showed not only how funny and intelligent he is, but how much he is aware of his own mind, and the way he interacts with others.

Keith, as much as I respect and admire him as a person, definitely has some issues. He is just not aware of how much the behaviour of his parents affects him. His dad is completely undermining of him but Keith pretends it doesnt bother him, while at the same time using it as a reason not to go and see him. It was also interesting that at one point when confronted with an honest and open question about his relationship with his dad, Keith just went for the joke instead of answering the question. However, it's a comedy show and thats what he does. But maybe that says something too.

I think Keith would be a great father, but will pass some of his issues on to his kids if he doesnt confront them.

Very entertaining and insightful episode.
QFT i could not have said it better myself. Although i wonder who are the 3 people so far that have voted no. Seriously have they heard the show/his standup cds's/his autobiography its pretty obvious.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

For the past year I've worked in the used car industry.

CarFax reports are usually given by default by car dealers. They use them as a sales device, even. Full disclosure and people will like you.

Slurp.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I went car shopping last year and every dealer had the carfax report ready for me on every car without me asking.

I would never have seen the two towers cloud thing as anything about 9/11 if K&C hadn't explicitly compared it. Just looks like an artsy bridge to me.

I don't think I caught the whole "Cindy went to Hawaii and I think she's engaged," thing during the actual show, that was clever.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Though I voted that I think Keith's dad still affects him, that doesn't mean that he'll be just like his dad when he is a dad.

It generally takes three generations for the abuse cycle to stop. Case in point...

My grandma is hard core abusive. Institutional crazy, and abused my mom to a point where maybe in the 50's it was frowned apon, but today she's have the kids taken away from her.

My mom wanted to be the exact opposite of her mom because of the abuse. She was passive to the opposite point and ended up marrying a man that was a more passive version of her mom...he is so similar to Keith's dad it gives me goosebumps.

So now I'm the third generation. I've seen the abuse and it will stop at my generation and not go on to my kids. Sometimes, I feel it rise up in me...I can sense some of my dad's personality and traits in me. But I've got enough distance where I can stop doing it with my kids. I married a healthy, amazing, kind man that is a fabulous dad and when I start feeling my temper I'm able to not indulge in it. I know how to work around the abuses so my kids will not have to deal with it at all. So far, so good...they are healthy and kind and sweet kids with a very idyllic (if I do say so myself) childhood.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I'm saying that since I'm very purposeful in not abusing my children and I'm aware of how my grandma and dad abused me and my siblings I'm able to step outside of myself a bit. Keith is able to do that as well, and I think as long as he is able to do that while in the moment with his kids, the abuse will stop with his generation...even though his dad may still affect him.

My dad totally still affects me, but I don't let my kids see that at all and I know the triggers so I'm able to control my reactions to it.

Sorry, Pat Dixon got me in a therapist mood I guess
Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

what's going on?

was there a new show yesterday and just didn't hit itunes yet?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
was there a new show yesterday and just didn't hit itunes yet?
What a weird place to ask about a missing show.

No show yesterday as noted in the Twitters.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

oh sorry. I was afraid to ask b/c though people would be snarky and sarcastic in their reply, however, i thought 'show notes' was the best place to ask. My twitter feed stopped with Chemda's comment about hot choco, and the events calendar still indicated shows yesterday and today -- i guess i somehow missed a twitter ...