Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: You’re in a comedy club audience. Are you now part of the show?
Yes. Comics can reference me however they want. 33 25.98%
No. I’m just watching. 94 74.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Two chicks are sitting side-by-side in the front row at a comedy special. They're both all dolled up. The comedian makes a point to pause, stare, and drink in both girls for a moment.

After enough time passes and enough tension builds, the comedian says, "Look. At. This. Stereo pussy. I love it."

The comedian? Andrew "Dice" Clay.

Was "Dice" doing crowd work, just being "Dice", breaking the comedian/audience barrier first, or what?

Clay saying something like this isn't the same as the tired bit of, "Where ya from?" or "Wadda ya do for a living?", but it's all still crowd work. And so is commenting on not hearing an audience member's distinctive laugh like Hedberg did on one of his albums. (Something similar happened to me at a show once.)

I don't think there's a black and white solution to this. If an audience member is being a prick, then it's fair game to humiliate him/her as the comic sees fit. But, if a comic actually has good material to start and wants to riff a little with the crowd during the set, what's the harm? Riffing doesn't have to be degrading someone else. I would imagine that comics sometimes feel in a groove and can really ad lib some good jokes in the spur of the moment. I just don't see this as an all or nothing type of solution.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

delete. delete. delete.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 02-04-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: respect
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albi View Post
I remember going by myself to a comedy club when I was travelling solo around the uk. And being young and naive, I eagerly sat up front. Well, a young lady sitting up front by herself and nursing a wine apparently attracts attention because each act singled me out for participation. The main act was the only one who ‘picked on’ me, asking if I was alright being there by myself, was I librarian?, etc etc. Too bad I turned out to be a librarian years later but that’s not the point!

I just wanted a fun night out. This experience took away a lot of that fun (although I did make friends because after getting singled out three times in a row, a group took pity on me and I joined their table) and now I’m wary about sitting too close to any stages...
That's wrong, what that comedian did. Making fun of innocent (so to speak) audience members is a sure sign of an insecure comedian. But I think once someone heckles you, they're fair game. It sounds like you weren't heckling the comedian, so there's no reason for him to have mede fun of you. Plus, librarians are cool and so is reading.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

delete. delete. delete.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 02-04-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: respect
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Im with Danny on this. Young single hot librarians are for hitting on not picking on. And that every act did it rings as classless to me, and it put a damper on her whole experience of the show. Albi made some friends out of it but the audience shouldn't have to make sure everyone is having a good time; that is the comedian the audience paid to see's job

Last edited by Alekseyev; 02-04-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Men & Women are Fucked

Chemda raised a good point. Women are raised never to have sex, which is impossible. On the other hand, men are encouraged not to be virgins. So, obviously, someone's gonna have to lose here..!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekseyev View Post
that is the comedian the audience paid to see's job
Agreed. You changed my mind.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think hecklers deserve to be blasted, for instance I love when Bill Hicks digs in and twists the knife...but picking on audience members who are just watching quietly, respectfully...I don’t think that’s fair.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Mike Lawrence is a great guest.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Go Giants today...

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 02-05-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: gin and tonic and feeling supersonic