Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: I would rather...
watch The View for half an hour. 31 29.81%
be in a pen of actual hens for half an hour. 73 70.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
I heard that rolling the "R" in Spanish is a genetic trait, like being double-jointed, or being able to fold your tongue in half. Some people can do it, and some people just can't. I don't think you can learn it.
That is true, so if you can't roll the R, you're supposed to say the letter D a couple times really fast to mimic that sound. It takes a lot of practice.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I heard that rolling the "R" in Spanish is a genetic trait, like being double-jointed, or being able to fold your tongue in half. Some people can do it, and some people just can't. I don't think you can learn it.
Actually, it was my understanding that if you don't learn how to do these things early in life you will never learn to do them. Other examples are the CH in Chemda, or the clicking sounds made by many African languages.

I didn't think it was a genetic trait.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
At a festival? WTF!?!? I'll stick to funnel cakes...
What can I say, those Kiwi's (aka New Zealanders) are a strange group of people! They have a huge population of sheep over there and they have just recently found another use for them..........Wool!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Rolling/folding your tongue is based on genetics, but I doubt rolling the letter/sound of "R" is. I've met some people who weren't able to do it, but eventually got it right by practicing specific words over and over again. Or I bet a speech therapist would help. Either way, for some people it takes a couple of weeks, and for others it takes years.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyReference View Post
I haven't finished the show yet but the makers of Fear Factor claiming we drink horse semen just made me gag on my morning coffee (oh, no - did I grab the semen instead of the milk?). WTF! Never heard of it and I'd bet it's not true. At least pick a weird sounding third world country that know one knows anything about if you're going to make up shit.
Really? As kids Mum always slathered our corn flakes with horse semen - or as we knew it, "dream cream" - and everyone I know pretty much grew up on it.

The protein content is about three times what normal milk can provide and the moustache from it has far superior texture and adhesion. In summer a chilled glass after a hard day's work or in winter a thick warm mug before bed - you don't know what you're missing if you don't have dream cream in your life.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

I voted for The View. I enjoy being angry.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

I had to google the horse semen thing and found an article talking about the same "foodie" festivals and found a new bit of info - the horse cum can be flavored to your liking! "The keenest will be able to drink it au naturel, but the shots will also be available in cherry, licorice and banoffee pie flavours."

Also - Sherri Shepherd is the complete imbecile stereotype, yet oddly she's hilarious in 30-Rock playing Tracy Morgan's wife where she plays .. a ... dumb ... ghetto .. wo .. Oh, I get it, nevermind. All hail the abortion queen of daytime Sherri Shepherd.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitty View Post
Also - Sherri Shepherd is the complete imbecile stereotype, yet oddly she's hilarious.
So she is Larry The Cable Guy for her race and gender?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The rolling R thing is to do with what language/s you're surrounded by and raised in from childhood.

As children, unless you have a cleft palate or other deformity, we are all able to make all of the sounds for every language, like the rolling R or the "Ch" of Chemda. Just listen to a baby. But as we start getting older and make sounds that sound like words, our parents and those around us praise sounds that are part of our native tongue - for example, imagine an English baby saying the word "red" with a rolling R - their parent would correct them - and this is reinforced by the fact that all of these sounds are around us all the time. By the time we're about 5, the phonemes or sounds that aren't "useful" to us in our environment fade away, so it's much harder for us to learn to make them later in life.

p.s. It's annoying to get lumped in with New Zealand on the whole horse/donkey semen thing. I don't know what they do over there, but the only semen we drink here in Australia is kangaroo! Obviously.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsquiz View Post
The rolling R thing is to do with what language/s you're surrounded by and raised in from childhood.
Phyically rolling your Rs isn't just a language thing, it is like making a taco tongue, some can, some can't. But like someone else said, you can practice enough for it to sound pretty good.

My babies never made a CH sound like Chemda naturally OR rolled their Rs, but they could do a mean raspberry if asked.