Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: KONY 2012
Yes 22 27.50%
No 58 72.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1551: Game Change

"Believe me I should. Bad things happen when I don't."

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Long time listener, but just joined the forums today. I just read this article about the whole KONY situation and thought it was pretty informative, its a little long but maybe reading it will change Keiths mind... haha, probably not.The Daily What
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Can you just tell us the shocking gist?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You think you can sum up the shocking gist?
I suppose I can try. Essentially its saying that Invisible Children, the guys behind the whole KONY 2012 thing are wrong in trying to raise awareness to try and get the American military to intervene in the whole thing. It says that that Kony is essentially an "old bogeyman" in Uganda and that most reports state that he isn't even in the area and hasn't been since 2002. He's still extremely dangerous, and it says that raising awareness might make things even worse by re-invigorating Kony's own campaign and cause even more bloodshed. The main crux of the article being that Invisible Children seems to be quite irresponsible in trying to solve the whole situation with violence and that there are better ways to help the Ugandan people, ones that help them in the long term. It gives an example of supporting groups that actually try and make them self sufficient in terms of education and health. It also asks people to do their OWN research about this and make their own decisions regarding the situation instead of blindly spreading the wrong kind of message.

*phew* That was tougher then I thought. That's what I got from reading it. even still you should read it when you have the chance.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Get Michael to SkimThat the history of regional politics of Africa, the background on Kony, the background on IC, and the background on America's involvement in dealing with this issue. Then take all that and put it through SkimThat again, condense it down to 5 paragraphs, and I might check it out.

Otherwise, I watched the video, and sympathize with the abducted children, so I know I'm a good person and can go do other stuff now.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Get Michael to SkimThat the history of regional politics of Africa, the background on Kony, the background on IC, and the background on America's involvement in dealing with this issue. Then take all that and put it through SkimThat again, condense it down to 5 paragraphs, and I might check it out.

Otherwise, I watched the video, and sympathize with the abducted children, so I know I'm a good person and can go do other stuff now.
Wow, the legendary dwarrior =P(sorry new forum user, just heard your username a lot on the show). But, yeah anyway, your point is understandable, it IS wordy for an article, its more of an essay, really. The whole KONY thing is, to me, old school propaganda, because its essentially threatening the viewer into thinking that if you DON'T spread the word people will be killed and children abducted. The fact is, its gonna happen anyway. and taking down Kony isn't going to solve anything, someone else is going to pop up in his place. Why? Because people aren't thinking for themselves, they aren't educated enough to make their own decisions, and follow anyone that says "I will make your life better" while subsequently slaughtering even more people. Invisible Children are just a bunch of douche bags, check the picture in the link (no reading required), those are the founders of Invisible Children, and their posing with the (at the time) then-child-soldier-recruiting SPLA. yeeah...

Last edited by denden; 03-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Girl from Uganda explains why Kony 2012 is bullshit, pretty brief/simple

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm going to name my dog Kony. It's a good dog name I think
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

As a Ugandan, my response to Kony2012

As a Ugandan, I love this exposure but, it aggravates me that everyone is jumping on this hype train when this shit has been going on for the last 20 something odd years. I know there are people who are truly touched by this and i applaud all those with pure hearts but i gotta admit, the people i know who have been like; "oh my god, this is tragic i feel so sad, can you retweet this!" I pretty much been telling those people to fuck off because i have seen this going on for the last 2 decades.
I have gone to school with child soldiers being rehabbed back into normal society and the stories i heard were even more chilling than the video.
Unfortunately for me at this point I am little bit desensitized seeing as i lived in Uganda while the whole Kony thing was a matter of national securty.......which as 3rd world politics goes became almost a "cash cow" for the local government. Pretty much they isolated him in the northern part of the country and the rest of the country went on with life.
The most annoying thing is the fucking assholes who come up to me and say; "lets go into Uganda and get him." The muthafucka hasn't been in the country for the last 8 or so years........GET YOUR FUCKING FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!! I was in school when students from BYU made fucking Invisible Children and this was in 2009, this is 3 yrs later.........

Sorry for the rant but ever since this started going viral people have been coming up to me telling me how this is so tragic, I have gone from; "I know its so sad." to "fucking get educated"