Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1552: Kony Bologna (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1552-kony-bologna-16965/)

Keith 03-13-2012 04:50 PM

1552: Kony Bologna

"You will not distract me with your Sports Illustrated. I've come to fight."

Hell & Heartaches

denden 03-13-2012 08:21 PM

Just listened to the show, I'm disappointed you didn't even seem to entertain an alternate viewpoint, brushing any of my points off as me being even lazier then you. I don't think the points I brought up were awful, you even quoted a sarcastic response to one of my posts as being on the same side as me(or us, I dunno). Maybe its because my posts were a little wordier then they could've been, making it difficult to quote mid-show, so I guess I'll sum it up better:

Invisible Children are irresponsible with the money they are given, it took, what... 8 years to raise awareness to stop a single, obsolete warlord? Yeah, thanks, but I'm pretty sure the money they used could have gone somewhere more useful

(I did my research and I like BRAC- ).

That's my main point in nutshell, something that some people never seemed tp pick up on and bashed me for points I never even brought up. I don't think that complete economic infrastructure would help them(wouldn't hurt, but that's not my point), education and health(providing food, water and shelter) would go much further then capturing Kony.

But yeah... Keith... you focus on this guy, make sure he has your full undivided attention on April 20. Are you gonna feel like you accomplished something? You and Chemda have a large voice, you seem to forget that sometimes. Anyway love the show, you two rock.

Keith 03-13-2012 08:31 PM

Thank you.

Type a space before you start something in parenthesis.

denden 03-13-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 721479)
Thank you.

Type a space before you start something in parenthesis.

haha, I'll keep it in mind.

Enunciated Piffle 03-13-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denden (Post 721476)
Invisible Children are irresponsible with the money they are given, it took, what... 8 years to raise awareness to stop a single, obsolete warlord? Yeah, thanks, but I'm pretty sure the money they used could have gone somewhere more useful

One could say the same thing about the activist group NORMAL. They've been around for what, 30+ years? People still support them. Perhaps they're stupid, stoned, or simply believe that while they are busy at work; someone else is out there raising awareness.

zappbrannigan 03-13-2012 08:48 PM

Keith has been vocal about shutting down Kony for years.. Oh wait, that was Coney Island!

Scruples 03-13-2012 09:45 PM

Just curious, are the dolphins still gettin killed?

RachaelBachael 03-13-2012 09:53 PM

Here's a pretty good radar I've used as to the effectiveness of the KONY 2012 video.

The day the movie hit the Internet, roughly 100 of my Facebook friends posted it, most with a caption similar to "WE MUST STOP HIM!!! WATCH THIS VIDEO".

6 of my friends and myself, having already known about Joseph Kony/Invisible Children/ the LRA, had previously "Liked" Invisible Children's Facebook page, giving us daily updates on their organization, latest videos, and the status of their services. None of these 6 friends (or myself) posted the KONY video on Facebook.

Roughly a week after the KONY video has gone viral? The same 6 of my friends "Liked" the Invisible Children Facebook fan page. Not one of the 100 ppl who posted the video liked their page.

Not to say that you can't give a shit about something if you don't follow it on Facebook, but if you're already on Facebook posting the video, and are so passionate to try and make everyone see it, wouldn't you want to "Like" their page to keep up to date on how the war on Joseph Kony is going? Hell, I know people who have only been inside an IKEA once and they like them on Facebook.

It was also annoying that stupid people were suddenly acting as if they were now political activists. A girl I know literally questioned via Facebook whether Joe Biden was the current VP or if it was Dick Cheney, but after watching KONY 2012, she thinks she knows everything about the situation.

My main critique of the video is that it exaggerates/glosses over some key facts . It's great that awareness is raised, the war has been going on for over 26 years and it's about time, but give people the correct facts! There are people enraged wanting to go to war with Uganda when Kony hasn't been there in 6-8 years. People still aren't aware that Kony is a Christian fundamentalist who wants to have society based on the Ten Commandments, and he believes he's acting on behalf of God (Lords Resistance Army...). People don't know that we have troops in Central Africa.

I would be very interested to see how many people can list the name of Kony's child army or the charity that made this video in 2 months time.

DWarrior 03-13-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappbrannigan (Post 721483)
Keith has been vocal about shutting down Kony for years.. Oh wait, that was Coney Island!

Coney Island 2012?

Keith 03-13-2012 10:44 PM

Remember Patrick Bailey? This grown adult just sent me the video of the Ugandan girl we talked about on our show to sincerely show me the other side.

This time I watched the whole thing.

She says her parents laughed at her when she brought up Kony because he hasn't been active in her parents' country (Uganda) for 5 years.

That's hilarious.

He hasn't kidnapped, raped, maimed, disfigured or killed any children in their home country in 5 long years. It's so funny!

We're still sensitive about 9/11, but that family is simply having a gas.