Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
I am a believer. 19 12.26%
I am an agnostic. 47 30.32%
I am an atheist. 89 57.42%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I don't know for sure it's true. But I believe it is. I think the world is too complicated to be random, and therefore must have a creator. I think the Christian bible is the best way for me to experience what I think is true.

Gods law in the old testament was he needed sacrifice for sin. Jesus chose to sacrifice himself, and as God - his sacrifice gave the rest of mankind eternal life with God which is a good thing. I think God is good.

I don't know it is true but I have to have faith that Jesus wasn't crazy or lying or manipulative when he said it was true. And history tells us he wasn't crazy or a liar or a con artist.
It's your belief and I shouldn't have bombarded you with so many questions, I think the atheist to Christian conversion piqued my interest.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #62 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Yes history tells us. You dont remember because they don't teach Jesus in schools. But I have read history books that prove he was not crazy or a liar or a conman. If you want to see some specific examples try looking up The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.
Oh darling they do teach Jesus in school here - but in religion class not history class.

Didn't read the book so I probably shouldn't really comment but from the amazon reviews it looks like it's a lot of "it must be true because it says so in the Bible"
The bible is a collection of texts written over the span of decades by various people, parts have been lost, taken out, possibly mistranslated - its not an eyewitness account or a historical document that is verified by other independent sources.
I'm quite sure that there might have been a smart guy called Jesus that was a great public speaker and got himself killed for it as unfortunately happens all too often but I have a hard time believing that he could he turn water to wine and his mother was not a virgin.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #63 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you read it in the original Aramaic, then you know for sure.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
If you read it in the original Aramaic, then you know for sure.
Assumed joking, and laughed.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Yes history tells us. You dont remember because they don't teach Jesus in schools. But I have read history books that prove he was not crazy or a liar or a conman. If you want to see some specific examples try looking up The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.
Actually, the existence of Jesus is not even perfectly clear, let alone proving his teachings.

Historical Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #66 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New here View Post
Assumed joking...
We'll just let everyone decide for themselves.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #67 (permalink)

Atheist here. I like evidence, logic, and rationality.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #68 (permalink)

An extremely common question that atheists ask Christians, is "If God is all-loving and all-powerful, why does he allow bad things to happen to good people?" (natural disasters, accidents, disease, etc).

The inevitable reply from Christians is something along the lines of "The Lord works in mysterious ways."

Now, the question I always have in response to that response is: "WHY does god work in mysterious ways?", to which they rarely have an answer.

Why the hell would an all powerful, all knowing, and all loving deity communicate with us through a contradictory book of dubious authorship that hasn't been updated in 2000 years? Wouldn't he want us to know, specifically, why things happen the way they do? Wouldn't he want us to know exactly what we're doing wrong as humans in the present day so that we can all work together to change it?

If you ask me, a real god would take a page from the politicians of the world and appear in the sky once a year on Christmas day to do a State of the Universe address. I can picture it now:

"Ok guys, item one: The tsunami in Japan. I know that a lot of people are pissed about that, but I had to do it in order to relieve tectonic pressure on the Pacific Rim fault lines so that the whole hemisphere didn't go under. It's really complicated - the geologists can fill you in if you need more details. Besides, I gave all the victims premium bungalows in heaven - they're up here playing golf and banging supermodels on the beach as we speak.

Item two: Abortion. I know there's a lot of confusion about this so here's the deal: I designed the nervous system to come online on day 4 of week 16 of gestation, so any abortions after that are murder. Before that you're good to go, so make sure you get to go to the clinic EARLY, people. Use Google Calendar if you need a reminder.

Item three: Homosexuality. I'm actually confused why there aren't MORE of you having gay sex. Vaginal sex was intended just for reproduction - I gave most of you the occasional gay urges so that you could relieve yourselves without overcrowding this place. I'm not sure why you didn't follow instructions. There's way too many of you as it is, so switch to anal and blow jobs for awhile until we get the population back to a manageable level. K?

Item four.............."
Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
An extremely common question that atheists ask Christians, is "If God is all-loving and all-powerful, why does he allow bad things to happen to good people?" (natural disasters, accidents, disease, etc).
Item four.............."
Epicurus's paradox, in one of its many forms:

If an all-powerful and perfectly good god exists, then evil does not.
There is evil in the world.
Therefore, an all-powerful and perfectly good god does not exist.

More succinct.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #70 (permalink)

My sister had me convinced that oldskool Jewish beliefs were the right way to go for many years. It was so stressful and restrictive and I kept finding myself wishing I could have the freedom to go shopping or cook on Saturdays etc. After listening to KATG for years I finally began to realise it's pretty much nonsense... The show actually let me stop and think. it's a bit difficult to let go of everything though and I'd consider myself Agnostic now. Still, it feels so freeing to not fear being judged all the time. Even my sister has come around on her own and is a lot more fun to talk to since she isn't just spouting bible verses 24/7.