Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Dennis Terry dangerous?
Yes 88 86.27%
No 14 13.73%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Best workout episode ever!!!!

Hearing the content of this episode made me so nuts that I had the best workout in the past 2 weeks.

295 deadlifts? No problem when hearing about schools offering/allowing alternate 'theories' and Santorom's warm-up act.

Separate reply on 'theory' coming but one quick life story.

My son got confirmed in the RC church a few years ago. I never did as a child due to some issues in missing classes at the time. Anyway, I decided to go to the adult classes and get confirmed as well in my 40's.

Do I believe in God? Not really but the moral teachings of what someone said on the show about how Chemda conducts herself more Christian than real ones mirrors my actions and thoughts.

She is a good role model.

Keith? I leave that to Saint Peter to decide. ; ) sorry Keith.

And I don't agree with a ton of things the RC dogma states so don't go there
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Your post confused me Bart. If you don't really believe in god why did you get your kid and yourself confirmed? If all you wanted was a good moral code wouldn't it make sense to teach your kid to be good because its right not just because Jesus will punish you.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
Your post confused me Bart. If you don't really believe in god why did you get your kid and yourself confirmed? If all you wanted was a good moral code wouldn't it make sense to teach your kid to be good because its right not just because Jesus will punish you.
Don't forget in a marriage there are 2 of us.
It was important to me for my son not to as it was for my wife to have him do it.

We had gone back to church regularly as he was getting the sacraments and I enjoyed the community and the intellectual topics in the classes. I also wanted to lead by example.

We were both brought up RC but I have 'faith' issues due to my interest in science (Darwinism/natural selection & string theory)

Tomorrow I want comment on what the word 'theory' really means.

Night all.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

A more intellectual Agnosticism than just "something bigger, I don't know" is the belief that knowledge of higher power is unknowable by people.

"human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist"
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
Tomorrow I want comment on what the word 'theory' really means.
I won't be able to sleep tonight.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyReference View Post
what? That's silly. I hate to use the nazi thing but that's like saying hitler wasn't dangerous but his followers were.

Things like that video make me genuinely scarred and depressed about this world. Sometimes I imagine that atheists will be in the majority sometime in my life but I'm not at all confident it will happen.
It's not exactly like saying Hitler wasn't dangerous, but do you really think things would have been fine if Hitler wasn't involved? The culture enabled the dictator more than the other way around.

If it wasn't Dennis Terry it would be someone else. He does make me lose a little hope for the future, though. If I was a super powerful organization bent on radical global change, and I thought an artificial apocalypse would be means to the end, this would be the year to get it going. I wonder how many politicians really do believe this is 'The End Times' and are making decisions accordingly; being manipulated in their gullibility, in ways they wouldn't be with just bribes or promotions. This would be a great plot for a Hollywood movie. . . Wonder why no one's done it. There's all these great characters already set up. It'd be like Passion of the Christ, crossed with 24, crossed with some Armageddon movie. You could have a christian character, anti-terrorist agent, as protagonist, trying to expose the false apocalypse, being chased by superhuman men in black (angels), and stuff like that. Would make so much fucking money.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

The Terry speech is the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a movie about extremism and bigotry run wild turning society against itself (V for Vendetta or dystopian future shit). Not just the words and the vehemence, but the audience reaction with the cheers and standing ovation.

@Zaumaum, the argument that "if it wasn't him it'd be someone else" is the weakest excuse not to condemn it. Yeah maybe there'd be someone else but right now it's THIS guy and a disheartening number of others like him. Sure the crowd and culture are a problem, but that's not really going to change if people like Dennis Terry are held up as leaders and role models (like say introducing a one of the top candidates for the LEADER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA who by the way stands behind you with a standing ovation) for people who identify with that culture.

And when that culture makes up such a large segment of the population it impacts the national discussion. For instance, whether vaginal-probe ultrasounds are required before a woman can get an abortion and whether contraceptives should be covered by insurance companies actually being questions during this election. In 2012.

I'm in.
aka Straight Edge Greg
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Honestly, that pastor guy scared the ever living fuck out of me. It really does seem like some bad shit is about to go down and something is going to give on one side or the other. Gulp.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Atheists

As an atheist I have to say this sums up an atheists beliefs.
We cannot say that there is no god. We can however say that there is no reason to think that there is a god.
Basically we we can't say there isn't unicorns and fairies but because there's not any evidence it's safe to say that there's no reason to think there is one.
I'm as sure there's no god as I am there no unicorns.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Starscream has it right. The 3/5 question is tied to the U.S. Constitution.

About the enthusiastic Christian Mr. Terry, I'll give him a solution just as old as the Constitution. If there can be "no taxation without representation," let's also make it also "no representation without taxation."

If Mr. Terry sincerely wants to help end the current economic crisis and put his best Christian foot forward, he can advocate for all churches to renounce their tax-free status and contribute to the nation financially. Let the U.S. government become the largest recipient of religious charity in the world. He's not dangerous, he's just idiotic. He demands Christian representation in all forms of government, yet he doesn't pay a penny in taxes on his organization to support the government.

DISCLAIMER: Before you all start to realize that "no representation without taxation" would bring back the 3/5 problem, I'd like to point out that this fact was not lost on me. We already have a huge issue with this, so vote PsychoLoco for President in 2012 and I'll solve it.