Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Dennis Terry dangerous?
Yes 88 86.27%
No 14 13.73%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 32
@Alekseyev: it wasn't an excuse
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
lolaclare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pip, pip!
Posts: 31
Agnosticism is taking the position that the existence or otherwise of a higher power is unknowable or not known.

Agnosticism/gnosticism is all about knowledge, whereas Theism/Atheism is all about belief.

So you could be an agnostic theist if you believe in God but don't claim to know there is a God.

Or you could be an agnostic atheist if you have no belief in God but don't claim to have knowledge that there is no God.

So pretty much everyone is an agnostic by this measurement as very few people claim to know for a fact (apart from the unreasonable and the nutjobs).

However, a lot of people use agnostic to indicate they aren't sure or haven't decided one way or another. So colloquially it has begun to mean this to people as well.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
lolaclare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pip, pip!
Posts: 31
By the way, in the UK we tend to be less religious than you guys in the US overall and someone like that Dennis Terry guy would never be able to have anything to do with a politician.

However, we don't have separation of church and state. All state schools have to by law have a broadly Christian "act of worship" every day! So there is no such thing as a secular education in the UK - think yourselves lucky you don't have that problem. And when atheists and secularists complain about it we are told to STFU because we are a Christian country - which we are, as our head of state is also the head of the Church of England. It makes me so angry.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
BrianAlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaclare View Post
And when atheists and secularists complain about it we are told to STFU because we are a Christian country - which we are, as our head of state is also the head of the Church of England. It makes me so angry.
Why? You know this to be true. You've known it all of your life. It would be like going to Israel and complaining about Judaism.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
lolaclare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pip, pip!
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Why? You know this to be true. You've known it all of your life. It would be like going to Israel and complaining about Judaism.
But surely the vast majority of Israeli citizens are actually Jewish?

The UK is a total contradiction. It is technically a Christian country (because of the whole Head of State = Head of Church thing) however only 10%-20% of the population attend church regularly so the vast majority are not practising Christians. And that 10-20% includes other Christian denominations so not just Church of England.

Britain is the only Western democracy to require worship in non-religious publicly funded schools. I don't think it's inclusive to the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Jewish etc. and non-religious population to continue this way. It annoys me enough that my children have to take part in Christian worship to attend school but surely it must annoy those of other religions just as much.

Just because something has been the way it is all my life doesn't mean I can't wish it would change. The National Secular Society and the British Humanist Association are campaigning for it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
BrianAlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaclare View Post
But surely the vast majority of Israeli citizens are actually Jewish?
75.5% - many do not go to synagogue.

I bet 60-80% of people in the UK are Christian - the vast majority. We're not talking about going to church here.

I looked it up. 71.6% identify themselves as Christian. That's pretty close to Israel.

You can wish it to change, but you need to be realistic. That was exactly my point. Feel free to work for change, that's a good thing. Just don't be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Remember, what's being talked about here is a Christian Fundamentalist speaking at a political rally. This is exactly against (in my opinion) the USA's doctrine - The Constitution - that espouses separation of church and state. If not the letter of the law, then surely the meaning of it.

The UK is a Christian country. That's true until it is not. When it is not, then your argument has little to disagree with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
You could be a terrorist and I would still continue to love you very, very much.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
DWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaclare View Post
It makes me so angry.
That's why all the cool people left England like 300 years ago.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Black Bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
That's why all the cool people left England like 300 years ago.
Woot Woot!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer
 
word's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 153
He does sound like john f o'donell
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Black Bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 102
Theory

I have to make one last post on this show and then hopefully I can just stop blabbering.

The whole issue of "theory" and how certain states and/or school districts are allowing certain information to be passed off as science infuriates me to no end.

A 'scientific theory' is not a guess or an opinion. It is a something that can be explained with empirical evidence given the science available at the moment. Yes, at a time, the world was flat was accepted as a valid theory but future scientific discovery proved it false and a new theory replaced it. Thank you Copernicus & Galileo.

What the bible belters (sry for the derogatory term) call a scientific theory is actually a philosophical theory and are based on statements that can not be proven scientifically.

I have another term for their 'theories' - Bovine Scatology.


Sorry for being preachy here but I had to vent this out.

I am actually a bit jealous of those who believe in God. Not all of them but some of the nicest people here in NYC I randomly interact with have that faith based attitude and it comes through. They are at peace with the world and the kindness shows through. I am probably wrong about this but I think its the Baptists I am speaking of. Then again it may be more cultural than the religious angle but that sort of stuff is hard to separate out when you come down to it.

The way I see it, most people on these forums don't seem to be religious but are nice people. That 'niceness' probably came down through their upbringing by their parents who I would bet the vast majority would say, 'yes, they were religious or believe(d)'

The dogma / teachings / tenants end up pervading the culture and, subsequently, family and other relationships. Not such a bad thing when you look at the Gospel and what it is all about and not necessarily what the pastor/preacher tells you what is right or wrong based on that information or what the Pope & his cardinals say what is right or wrong.

thanks for your patience

well - time to make some $
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger