Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Dennis Terry dangerous?
Yes 88 86.27%
No 14 13.73%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #61 (permalink)

I accidentally said no on the vote, but YES he's scary evil.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #62 (permalink)

The Denver Broncos picked up Peyton Manning because statisically he is considered one of, if not the, best quarterbacks to ever play. Teams usually have a starting quarterback, and a main back up quarterback. (along with 1-2 other QB's but they are almost never used). The Broncos let Tim Tebow go because they have an amazing starting QB, and having Tim Tebow was a distraction. Tebow is dearly loved by Denver, and their fans will push for Tim Tebow to start, rather than Peyton Manning, even though Tebow isn't as skilled as Peyton Manning. They saw that as a distraction, so they tried to get rid of him. (as a sidenote, they traded for another back up QB right after trading Tebow)
In regards to the Jets, Sanchez is the starting QB as of now. It's such a publicized move because Tebow is a star. Also, it was seen as an odd move by the Jets because Mark Sanchez has been only decent recently, and in theory would only be decent next year. This would cause fans to want Tebow, the back up QB(with lesser passing skills) to start over Sanchez. The Jets essentially put pressure on Sanchez to perform better, or else Tebow will start. And lastly, the Jets have been seen as a team that receives, and asks for, a lot of attention. Some people see this trade as simply trying to get a famous player rather than a skilled one.

As another sidenote, Tebow isn't seen as a "real" QB because he has poor passing skills. The only reason he started last year is because the old starting quarterback was doing absolutely terrible.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Stereo Crazies #2.

BTW, how's JFOD doing? He sounded a bit more crazy than usual the last time he was on.
I've been wondering as well. He seemed a little extra unsure of himself and out of sorts last time...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #64 (permalink)

Hi all! The discussion on this episode was interesting enough that I thought I should register on the forum and join in the discussion.

I think the atheist sign issue is interesting. As someone who is religious, I don't have any problem with Atheists posting signs and advertising for groups etc. However, I think the sign, in this instance, is offensive and pointless. Posting something that is sacrilegious to Jewish people in a Jewish neighborhood is just purposefully disrespectful. At that point the intent of of the billboard is more about insulting people than anything else. You can't get people to listen when you are insulting them, and you can't foster a purposeful discussion when the people you insult b/c people who feel insulted will not be interested in what you have to say.

Also Christianity isn't a monolithic religion. There is an enormous amount of diversity in regards to views on evolution, homosexuality, politics etc. For instance, as someone who is Christian, I don't like signs telling people they are going to hell anymore than Chemda does.

The clip of the preacher that opened for Santorum is interesting, but I don't think it is anything to be afraid of. There is certainly a significant portion of people who mix religious conservatism with politics. They are the loudest and most extreme, which is why they get attention; but they aren't representative of Christianity as a whole, and I really don't think they have enough political clout to actually threaten anyone. They may be able to fight social issues like same-sex marriage for a while, but ultimately they will lose b/c times are changing. Plus IME young Christians are accepting of homosexuals and don't care about same-sex marriage.

Also to address specifically something that Keith said about atheists being the most intelligent people he knows: I'm not surprised that is Keith's experience, however people tend to surround themselves with others who are like-minded. I'm sure it is true that the most intelligent people Keith knows are atheists, as it is true that the most intelligent people I know are religious.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 03-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #65 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
Also to address specifically something that Keith said about atheists being the most intelligent people he knows: I'm not surprised that is Keith's experience, however people tend to surround themselves with others who are like-minded. I'm sure it is true that the most intelligent people Keith knows are atheists, as it is true that the most intelligent people I know are religious.
I think he wanted people to name Stephen Hawking. Also Dawkins.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #66 (permalink)

I took it as people he and Chemda know, but maybe I was mistaken.

Hawking is the currently the most famous person on the planet for being a genius, and it is true that he is a strident atheist. However, a quick Google search will show a long list of famous scientists who weren't atheists.

IMHO belief in a God/s, or lack thereof, isn't related to intelligence.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
Also Christianity isn't a monolithic religion. There is an enormous amount of diversity in regards to views on evolution, homosexuality, politics etc. For instance, as someone who is Christian, I don't like signs telling people they are going to hell anymore than Chemda does.
There were also Nazis who didn't really want to kill Jews. So the fuck what? You might have an opinion about homosexuality, but so does the Bible, and I think the Bible speaks more for Christianity than you do.

It says a lot about the religion's morality when every hateful douchebag loves talking about the Bible and the people who aren't so hateful do a lot of talking about their opinions (not the Bible's).
Old 03-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #68 (permalink)

The Bible absolutely does not lend itself a monolithic worldview. There are 30,000+ denominations of protestant Christianity based on one edit of the Bible. That is 30,000+ opinions one what the message of one book is.

Not to mention Catholic theology which is as much derived from 1,700 years of church tradition as well as their own edit of the Bible (which has more texts than the protestant Bible). And then add to that Coptic Christians who have a different pope, and on down the line with the multitude of other groups of Christians, who read from various other texts and sources.

I may not be able to speak for Christianity as a whole, as there is no one on earth who can. However, as a Christian, I have a better understanding of Christianity than someone who is an atheist.

As far as homosexuality and Christianity, when you take an aggregate of every element of Christianity you encounter, there are, of course hosts of contradictions.

The Bible may( or may not depending on your interpretation) teach homosexuality is a sin. However Christ never broached the subject, and on top of that He taught : "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you." Mathew 7:12

Regardless of what a Christian believes about homosexuality, it would be against the teaching of Christ to treat a homosexual the way that, lets say for instance, a Nazi would.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 03-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.