Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Enjoyed this episode. Why doesn't Chemda's older brother use the pay software their younger brother made for Katg? If it is some other service he probably still pays for it?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Did I miss the reason why he goes by Andrew Warner instead of Andrew Khalili?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersketchy View Post
Did I miss the reason why he goes by Andrew Warner instead of Andrew Khalili?
If I'm not mistaken, it's partially from a want to "fit in" (having an ethnic last name, I can relate, though Andrew of course had an ethnic first name, as well), and partially something to do with business.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Enjoyed this interview...

I really appreciate you guys posting this. It was insightful to understand all the background workings that were going on and what you guys were going through and thinking. And Chemda's brother did a great job of interviewing Chemda.

You guys were completely justified to move to a VIP setup...and your approach to it was smart. You kept a few episodes free for new listeners to get into and get hooked on...and for cheapskate loyal listeners to stay listening with. Plus you've been very smart using Chemda's new show as insentive to go to VIP....and also using opportunities to plug old shows that listeners would benefit from listening to to learn about history that relates to a guest or to a topic.

Also I think your pricing is totally reasonable and smart.

But listening to this interview brought to mind something that to me was confusing and that you didn't necessarily do well.

When you first released VIP...the one thing you guys didn't do was explain and sell it. What it was. What the cost was. Why you were doing it. It was a great opportunity that I felt you missed. Your listeners are very much part of your family...at least I'm sure they feel that way. Maybe it all was explained in the forums or more deeply in the website....but to me it seemed like it began without much fanfare....and especially when Chemda's "What's My Name" show started...it wasn't clear to me that it was a VIP-only show and what VIP was.

I figure you guys were uneasy talking about asking people to pay for your show...and so you released VIP without too much detailed explanation and left it to the listeners to figure it out. Afterall it was a big change and one that anyone would expect internet listeners might react badly too. From what I remember there wasn't really a show where you laid it all out and explained the change. Or a daily post-launch reminder of what was happening (which I figure you probably would have had to repeat daily for a couple weeks to reach all your listeners...and their potential random "drop-in" points). VIP only really hit my radar when Chemda's show appeared on the scene...and the only explanation on how to hear it was to go to VIP...not to join or become a VIP member. Or what VIP was.

Anyways, I found Chemda's brother's perspective on owning and being proud of your product and your business was right on the mark. So many internet providers undervalue the content they provide. Then again so many provide poor content. But there are a few in your field, like Mark Maron and Kevin Smith who have managed to find a good way to monetize while still providing content free on the internet in some format. It's definitely a tricky thing to pull off...but I think you guys have done it very well, and also found your own innovative way to do it differently then the others...with only the minor hiccup of having launched VIP without a good deal of explanation and pre-launch build up.

Last edited by fanboy1971; 03-25-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

This show is great because it shows a completely different side of KATG. It's great because we get to listen to how a small company has to fight to make money in a unique business, one that many people still don't understand. I enjoyed listening to Chemda talk about how she had to go about finding and securing advertising, rebudgeting post-breakup, and deciding upon the VIP program and pricing. I agree with Andrew that for the content that is offered in the VIP program, the prices are beyond reasonable. It is also remarkable that Keith and Chemda were able to do this with no business education, training, or experience. They did experience many hiccups along the way, but have managed to build a successful company, one that I am happy to support. Keith and Chemda have found their niche in the podcasting world. For anyone else hoping to start a business, I hope they find their niche and look to this success story as inspiration for what possibilities may be in store.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can relate. I just wondered if there was an interesting story behind it or if it was just simply de-ethnicizing.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I am so glad you made this an episode. I kept meaning to listen to it but by the time I actually got home and sat down in front of my computer I forgot I wanted to see it.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

It's possible that Andrew is right. Perhaps you can charge more for VIP status. But I don't really think you should. I guess that's partially a personal bias, since I'd be the one paying.

I mentioned before and I think you should seriously consider this...

How about a "Lifetime Membership"? Many subscription services I've run into have this option. Generally it's priced at a 3-5 year rate. So someone can be a lifetime member for say $300-$500. It could even be for a limited time. I would definitely do this the next time my membership came up (September). Consider it. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica332 View Post
I am so glad you made this an episode. I kept meaning to listen to it but by the time I actually got home and sat down in front of my computer I forgot I wanted to see it.

Same here! I kept forgetting to listen, so I'm glad you pushed it through the feed. Though I wasn't quite as enthusiastic about the interview as some others on the forum, I still wanted to hear it and found parts of it interesting.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboy1971 View Post
But listening to this interview brought to mind something that to me was confusing and that you didn't necessarily do well.

When you first released VIP...the one thing you guys didn't do was explain and sell it. What it was. What the cost was. Why you were doing it. It was a great opportunity that I felt you missed. Your listeners are very much part of your family...at least I'm sure they feel that way. Maybe it all was explained in the forums or more deeply in the website....but to me it seemed like it began without much fanfare....and especially when Chemda's "What's My Name" show started...it wasn't clear to me that it was a VIP-only show and what VIP was.
Welcome to the forums Fanboy, I hope you enjoy your time here, but this doesn't sound right to me. I thought they'd explained it just fine on the show several times and I knew exactly what it was and signed up straight away with no confusion. I agree they could have made more fanfare and pumped it up even more than they did, but as I recall it the info was laid out right there on the show and I never felt like I had to do any digging.