Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: the "SLAVES, OBEY YOUR MASTERS" billboard
Thumbs up 53 50.96%
Thumbs down 51 49.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Speaking of Hoodies I found it interesting that Rep. Rush was removed from the House floor while wearing a hoodie.

Lawmaker wearing hoodie removed from House floor - CNN.com

Duffer is another name for a golfer.

In future can Ben Lerman not be high or can everyone be high during the show? It would make more sense.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognegro13x View Post
They weren't trying to sell the message of religion on the billboard. It was the equivalent of internet trolling. They would of had the same effect if they would had burned a cross. They only wanted media attention draw attention to their religion. I am pretty sure they were not expecting a draw in African American prospects despite it being placed in a mostly black neighborhood.
No, it isn't the same as burning a cross. They are making a point, a point which is especially relevant to African Americans. The bible instructs slaves to obey. Some people will be receptive to the idea that this is a negative idea within the majority religion. Some people will just see a bound slave and the message will be lost. But the point is, they are trying to get through to the folks who are receptive to the message. Different idea than sales ads, and also different than internet trolling. They weren't simply trying to offend. They were trying to point out one aspect of the offensive nature of Judeo/Christianity. I do think some folks are still missing the point of the billboard.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampoo View Post
The billboard is not like an ad. They aren't trying to sell something to every person like beer or walmart. It is for those few who will get it that THE BIBLE TELLS SLAVES TO OBEY! Some people will be smart enough to get it and bless the people who were brave enough to get this idea out to those who are receptive. It's nice to hear macho "fuck you" type voices like Keith spreading these ideas. Too many wimpy sensitive types like me spreading these messages.
Ben is right I think the image is the problem the text is quoted from the "good book" and that's the point. This book that is used by many to berate people with as the pillar of morality co-signs slavery and a hand full of other absurd shit. That we write off as sill or in passing but hold on to gays are bad and pre-marital sex is even. Hypocrisy I say
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
Atheism isn't a product. It's the lack of a product.
No, I can tell you, as someone whose beliefs are atheist, atheism is a product. Have you read atheist books? Have you talked to atheists? They are as bad as religious people and they are trying to sell you something just as much.

Agnosticism is a lack of a product, and they're the only people who don't speak without listening.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

I can agree with that. The picture is the problem, not really the quoted text. If you put a picture of "Hitler" up in a Jewish neighborhood, they could give a fuck that it says "Jesus loves you" to the right of it.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

So, because Trayvon was killed at 7PM and not after 10:00, then it still wasn't the hoodie.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
No, I can tell you, as someone whose beliefs are atheist, atheism is a product. Have you read atheist books? Have you talked to atheists? They are as bad as religious people and they are trying to sell you something just as much.

Agnosticism is a lack of a product, and they're the only people who don't speak without listening.
I love you Bob.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

a general comment that might sound as me kissing keith's ass, but whatever: this episode made me ADMIRE Keith for the level of skill, intelligence and sharp wit he is showing.

Keith now is a man with the quick mind that can see through the bullshit and expel clear terse truth. bless you keith. and thanks for allowing your opinion and chemda's (and her magnificient interviews) in my life

Last edited by Junkenstein; 03-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post

I assume I've talked to atheists. I can't say for sure though because they aren't selling me on anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Now that I can see the actual billboard in show pics I think its even less offensive then I imagined. I don't remember you mentioning it on the show but I think it's the tag line "This lesson in Bronze Age ethics..." that really clarifies the message.