Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: the movie Bully
Chemda's right: There should be 2 versions of it, one that is PG-13 22 22.22%
Keith's right: There should only be one version: THE COLD HARD TRUTH 77 77.78%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
The MPAA gave bully the R rating and wont budge on it because there are scenes involving homosexual kids in the movie being victimized and the MPAA is controlled by religious zelots who don't want to give any leeway too "Alternative lifestyles" especially in younger people.

I want to see it but dont, Those are some deep wounds a lot of us carry and its going to suck to see a reminder about it. I can't imagine how much worse it is now with the internet being a thing.

Its not about toughing kids up anymore. Its not about "boys being boys" and all that other bullshit bully apologist try to put out. These sick fucks want to murder your children and our society rewards them, that's what people don't understand, there are bullies who will find out a kid has a peanut allergy and literally hold him down and smother peanut butter in his face.

Fucking psychopaths all of them.
I like a bully more than I like a rapist.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea's toothbrush View Post
Yeah. You can judge the filmmaking style of one of the greatest film directors ever based on one film. Sure.

And still, 'Bamboozled' is better than half the shit that was in theaters last year.
I think I'm good.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Why I voted for one version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
The MPAA gave bully the R rating and wont budge on it because there are scenes involving homosexual kids in the movie being victimized and the MPAA is controlled by religious zelots who don't want to give any leeway too "Alternative lifestyles" especially in younger people.
You are telling the truth, on my freshman year of college we spent half of the last semester in my rhetoric class on a project that delved deeper into the MPAA and how it is controlled by very biased parents. There's a documentary that we had to watch, I found it somewhere on Netflix but don't recall the name.

I voted for Keith's side, here's my reasoning:

People might think that it's a disservice that the movie got a R-Rating because it would not reach a large audience. While it may be true that the tickets won't sell like wildfire because of this, I think that the rating itself sets up a better scenario in which a teenager under 17 will view it.

The better scenario by the movie being R-Rated is that parents/guardians will be the most likely people accompanying their children to this movie, leading to bringing up the subject of bullying with their child and giving them a lesson about it. I understand that parents shouldn't leave the responsibility of teaching their child manners to movies. Still, the movie can be used as a tool to help.

In all honesty, teenagers won't be lining up to see the movie on opening weekend because they will be opting for something with 'Cakes & Candies' like the Hunger Games. For those teenagers who do have the movie Bully in their top priority, I give them their credit.

Edit: This was my opinion before knowing that it is going to be released as unrated.

Last edited by BadderWorse; 03-31-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think the documentary was called This Film is Not Yet Rated, and I'm pretty sure it received an NC-17 rating. Can you imagine? Also of interest regarding this Bully case is the documentary Gunner Palace, which follows a group of American soldiers in Iraq. When it was first submitted to the MPAA it received an R for language but that rating was successfully appealed with no changes made—it now holds a record for the most ever unedited uses of the word "fuck" in a PG-13 movie: 42. The ratings board decided that, in the context of the film, the language was not gratuitous. A precedent has been set, and it's weird and kind of insulting that the MPAA won't budge on this.

"Stay sick. Don't get well." -- The Mountain Goats (shut up.)
Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep
It's scary when Dr Sleep says something poignant, isn't it?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhatch View Post
I think the documentary was called This Film is Not Yet Rated, and I'm pretty sure it received an NC-17 rating. Can you imagine? Also of interest regarding this Bully case is the documentary Gunner Palace, which follows a group of American soldiers in Iraq. When it was first submitted to the MPAA it received an R for language but that rating was successfully appealed with no changes made—it now holds a record for the most ever unedited uses of the word "fuck" in a PG-13 movie: 42. The ratings board decided that, in the context of the film, the language was not gratuitous. A precedent has been set, and it's weird and kind of insulting that the MPAA won't budge on this.
There goes fucking motormouth Jones again. Oops wrong account. Oh well SUBMIT REPLY.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbid View Post
I can't tell if you're praising Spike Lee, or insulting the film industry.
lol!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
It's scary when Dr Sleep says something poignant, isn't it?
It would be, if he did.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

If the bullying issue needs to be addressed, then this documentary doesn't need to be tainted or its harsh revelations suppressed. Keith's right; keep the cruel reality intact.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Bully probably needs it's own thread with spoiler warnings and such, but I do not have any idea why there was any controversy about it. There's barely any cursing or violence. Just a lot of stupidity. Which I guess kids also deserve protection from.

Last edited by starscream; 03-31-2012 at 07:25 PM.