Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: the movie Bully
Chemda's right: There should be 2 versions of it, one that is PG-13 22 22.22%
Keith's right: There should only be one version: THE COLD HARD TRUTH 77 77.78%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
Bully probably needs it's own thread with spoiler warnings and such, but I do not have any idea why there was any controversy about it. There's barely any cursing or violence. Just a lot of stupidity. Which I guess kids also deserve protection from.
Controversy is born of fear and ignorance. The ratings board continues to think these things will corrupt children, when if properly presented these things will shed an important light on a horrible subject and can enlighten children. Teenagers have already been exposed to much worse by their peers. If you're talking about bullying in elementary schools (which absolutely happens), then consider seeing it first before deciding if your kids should see it. The subject of bullying will probably be shown in its true form, which a lot of adults don't want to cop to. They want to think it isn't as bad as they think, or that they have things under control in their school.

And in the poll, I think Keith is right that the film should be shown in its full, intended state. To allow one version for one group and another for a different group compromises the artist's version and is nothing short of censorship. It is not up to the MPAA or anyone else to decide what juveniles see. Let the parents make that decision.

As for that fucking idiot Spike Lee, that family should sue him for that tweet. It was grossly negligent and caused the family a lot of undue emotional distress. If they wanted to, they could go after him not just for the hotel costs, but for punitive damages. Whether or not Spike wants to admit it, he knew some harm was going to come of publishing that address, and that he thinks he couldn't be held liable for starting that ball rolling is absurd. He deserves to pay through the nose for what he did to that family.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

movie rating

I always thought that the movie rating was just that, a "rating". It wasn't intended to prevent individuals under that age of viewing the content, but a strong warning. When you have movies that have strong themes but teach a moral lesson such as the Holocaust, bullying, substance abuse, and so on you are sort of turning a blind eye to reality by hiding behind a movie rating.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't think there is a single good action movie rated PG-13.

Prove me wrong.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I guess Bully is an action movie...
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognegro13x View Post
I always thought that the movie rating was just that, a "rating". It wasn't intended to prevent individuals under that age of viewing the content, but a strong warning. When you have movies that have strong themes but teach a moral lesson such as the Holocaust, bullying, substance abuse, and so on you are sort of turning a blind eye to reality by hiding behind a movie rating.
You should probably rent the documentary "This film is not yet rated." It talks about what the ratings mean and why they matter. For many years, films were not allowed a mainstream release if they were unrated.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I guess Bully is an action movie...
It's not, I'm just bringing it up because I'm curious.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
Controversy is born of fear and ignorance.
Sure, a lot of people up in arms, maybe most, have not bothered and will not bother to see Bully. But the uproar had to start with someone actually watching it and being appalled, which I cannot even fathom. There's nothing in it to get upset about. Never mind that it's kind of a terrible documentary.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

Spike Lee may be an asshole, but "Do the Right Thing" is one of the greatest movies of the last 30 years (and not JUST because it has a character named Sweet Dick Willie).
Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I don't think there is a single good action movie rated PG-13.

Prove me wrong.

Bullshit!

The very FIRST PG-13 movie is an awesome action flick..."Red Dawn".