Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The world is doomed. Do we deserve it?
Yes. We did and will continue to do this to ourselves. 54 80.60%
No. We do what we can. 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

But obviously I'm NOT above it...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGiggles View Post
Celebrating someone's life being in the shitter (organizing an entire KATG event around the trial) just seems to be in poor taste. I expect poor taste from John, but I think you're above that.
If we're going to be philosophical about this, then what if the reverse were true? What if John had been found and he was living in a suburb with 3 kids and a $50,000 a year job like hundreds of thousands of middle-class Americans? Would it be OK to confront him then? You wouldn't have problem with that would you? Would you have a problem if Petrie had won the lottery and was found living on a yacht in the Florida Keys?

The point is that we're not celebrating the status of Petrie's life or his situation. We're celebrating a victorious end to a decade+ long search by the host of a beloved podcast. It's closure or a "Told you so", not bullying. Certainly you have someone in your life that you want to prove wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLoco View Post
What if John had been found and he was living in a suburb with 3 kids and a $50,000 a year job like hundreds of thousands of middle-class Americans?
Philosophically, the "right" thing in either case is probably to just let it go; forgiving someone who's wronged you and moving on without a need for an "I told you so" is by far the more mature response. However, I argue it would be different; in that case John and Keith would be on equal, successful footing. Keith would feel like John had "gotten away" scott free with stealing his stuff, and a confrontation would remind him of something he may have forgotten from his past. That individual might even offer some compensation, as he's in a position to provide it. John, on the other hand, is sitting in prison and being reminded every day of what he's done. Having been homeless, on drugs, and and now in prison, I'm sure the few hundred dollars worth of things he stole from Keith is a drop in the bucket next to what he's done to his family, friends, and anonymous strangers over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLoco View Post
The point is that we're not celebrating the status of Petrie's life or his situation. We're celebrating a victorious end to a decade+ long search by the host of a beloved podcast. It's closure or a "Told you so", not bullying. Certainly you have someone in your life that you want to prove wrong.
We already did that; we had a whole episode devoted to "I found you John Petrie," and even a marriage proposal. It was a great episode all-around, and if that's not celebration, I don't know what is. It was also incredible closure realizing that John didn't get away from the things he had done in the past; he's living the consequences. What we're talking about doing now is far more sadistic.

Yes, I can think of many people in my life who have wrong me, and I would secretly relish the fact that they were in jail. But I would also realize the tragedy of their life goes far beyond any grudge I had with them. It's easy to build someone up in your mind as being all-evil, worthy of the worst things imaginable, but what makes one a better person is to rise above those primal emotions and see a person as a human being, as someone with a family, problems that have significantly influenced their decisions, and recognizing the tragedy in the outcome to their life. If you won't accept this as bullying, surely you will at least agree this is "rubbing salt in the wound" that is John Petrie's life. --I just want to add here, I don't care about John Petrie, I care about the person that makes Keith out to be.

If this truly is just about confronting him to ensure he's aware of how he's wronged Keith, then fine. Why not show him you're a better person than him by forgiving him, and leaving some money in his commissary fund? Obviously that would never happen, because at it's core, this is about revenge. I think the confrontation is likely to be disappointing, because I think you'll find either:
1) A sad and broken man that leaves you feeling sorry for him, or
2) A hardened criminal who has wronged many people and intends to continue doing it. He won't give a shit about you, what you think, or what you have to say. You won't get through to him at all, and he'll tell you he's just sorry he didn't fuck your mother before he got put in prison. Keep in mind, he's dealt with people a lot tougher than Keith; he's been homeless and lived on the streets, and he's been in prison surrounded by hardened criminals. Keith is a pussy compared to what this guy has seen and done.

It's not like Keith has some sob story about how John Petrie ruined his life. He stole some shit, the most egregious thing being a book Keith was working on. Do you honestly believe anything Keith says will make him give a shit about that? A man dealing with PRISON right now?! That's just fantasy-land.

Last edited by DrGiggles; 04-29-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGiggles View Post
Why not show him you're a better person than him by forgiving him, and leaving some money in his commissary fund?
You're out to lunch.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Forgiving is in the realm of morality, not so much philosophy. Keith has every right to confront John, ask why he did what he did, and figure out who he gave his book to, i.e. - how to find the girl that emailed Keith on 9/11.

I get what you are saying about reveling in someone's misery. When the U.S. got Osama, I was saddened by the block parties across the U.S., but that didn't change my mind about the necessity of Seal Team VI going into Pakistan to deliver a 10-year-old "I told you so" with extreme prejudice. Osama deserved it. Keith deserves to know what happened to his stuff, and if he can make some money off of the meeting as a form of restitution, more power to him.