Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Has Chemda seemed upset at Keith lately?
Yes 150 72.46%
No 57 27.54%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I don't know why but it's probably something to do with the fact that, as his own fiance once said on the show, he's a drama queen.
Perhaps that what allows him to make a good show, take something that might be small and make it dramatic.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm really disappointed that that no one brought up the fact that Keith has unapologetically reveled in what was Attempted Murder by drug overdose of one of his old roommates. This is a Class C Felony since he lived and would be a Class B Felony if he had died (I am not a lawyer, I retrieved this from NYS Penal Code Section 125).

Keith's underlying resentment seems to come from his experiences of being mugged and that sucks that it happened (especially while dressed as Elmo, geesh). Young people (18 year old Jonnie) do rash and stupid things. Jonnie has atoned for his crimes and is trying to get back into society as a law abiding person.

Conversely, Keith acts as if what he has done is excusable because his old roommate was 'a bad person.' This disconnect with Keith between understanding why Jonnie should be given a second chance and how Keith's actions were both criminally and morally more reprehensible than Jonnie's misdeamenors is a very interesting thing to listen too. Keith is fond of asking why people seem to no longer be embarrassed or ashamed for their actions while showing no outward remorse for some spectacularly bad judgment.

I'm sure if reading this Keith will begin screaming 'THEN WHY DO YOU LISTEN?' Well, I listen because in no way does Keith have any control over my life or anything that I care about and that effects my life (i.e. you have no control over anything that can really hurt anybody). It's a talk show and I can get over someones incredibly poor actions from nearly a decade ago as long as they are not in a position of real power.

I bring this point up only because of the inherent inconsistency in Keith's position, his past actions and his seeming lack of empathy for someone who has done wrong, atoned and begun anew.

P.S. I believe Chemda is getting a bit of a bad rap right now. The only time I perceived non-humurous aggression was while Tom Shillue was on a few episodes back. Now, I don't have the same intimate knowledge of Chemdas traits that he might perceive and interpret to be hostile, so how he feels is both relevant and real to him and at least he is expressing this rather than overlooking it. There does seem to be more on air stress than usual and a week off and away from each other may do a lot of good.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Perhaps that what allows him to make a good show, take something that might be small and make it dramatic.
There's no "perhaps" about it buddy, being some kind of neurotic is exactly what a lot of comedians do and to me Keith is one of the best at doing it. The very first time I listened to KATG back in the dark ages my first impression was that Keith reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld with a semi-Christopher Walken accent. Like Seinfeld he was taking those moments in life that most people shrug off and blowing them up into widescreen to shine a big light on the little ridiculosities.

His drama queen tendencies are the source of his power but like with many other artists they can also be a weakness. To me that's what seems to be the source of this "Waaaah, Chemda's picking on me" kerfuffle. Keith sounds like a genius when he's making fun of stuff but he sounds like a crybaby when he takes fun stuff too seriously. Luckily even when he's a crybaby he's one of the most entertaining sons of guns ever to yap into a microphone.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I think Chemda is perfectly reasonable when she says that she trusts Jonnie. She just needs to realize that it's equally reasonable that other people don't share her trust in him. I really doubt that when Keith brought up Jonnie running pockets, he meant it like "ah, fuck that convict asshole". It's probably, like he explained, just to remind people of who Chemda is talking about.

That said, robbing people is a big crime and it makes sense that people judge him on that. Likewise, it makes sense to judge Keith on all the shit that he did. I'm sure he'd understand if, after knowing what he did, someone is wary about him.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Jonnie has atoned for his crimes and is trying to get back into society as a law abiding person.
by publishing a "how to" commit the same crime. because the point of reforming is to teach other people how to do it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I'm on Chemda's side. These double standards suck so bad, but...

It's totally true that men can fly off the handle and it's funny or cool and when a woman so much as jokes about something sensitive, she's angry and bitchy. I think Chemda is sincere when she says she means nothing by it and I hear the frustration in her voice when Keith doesn't believe her.

Also, I hate it when mom and dad fight! Hopefully the vacation will bring some resolution.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm glad others voted 'Yes'. I knew I wasn't imagining Chemda being short with Keith. It most definitely felt like Chemda was fed up with Keith, more than usual, in these past couple of weeks. I also think she wanted to put a foot in Tom Shillue's ass when they were talking about gender roles in #1608.

Also Janine's voice sounds just like Lauren's to me. I thought it was Lauren at first.

Last edited by Andrea's toothbrush; 07-01-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

I voted 'No' on the pole.

I remember thinking in episodes around the 900s and the 1100s (or maybe it was the 1200s) that Chemda was coming across very spikey and easily aggravated at times.

However in recent episodes Chemda hasn't come across like she's been hating Keith to me, though Keith has seemed more on edge recently.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
QFT but tone goes a long way.
It sure does. And when Chemda rags on Keith you can hear the mischievious grin in her voice as she does it. It's obvious she's joking around if you don't have your head up your ass. When Keith takes a shot at Chemda however, he tends to play it significantly straighter. He sounds much more mean that she does. And yet he's the one who gets the pass from the majority of listeners.

And to be clear, I take what Keith says as jokes too, even though his tone is meaner and more serious than Chemda's. I'm not saying he's being genuinely mean. What I am saying is if he gets a pass for sounding mean then it's retarded not to think Chemda's joking around when she can't even keep a straight voice as she does it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea's toothbrush View Post

Also Janine's voice sounds just like Lauren's to me. I thought it was Lauren at first.
Me too!