Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: Guns
I have Keith et al.'s attitude. Guns are crazy. 76 61.29%
I disagree with Keith et al. Guns are just guns. 48 38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1619: Danger! Danger! Part 2

"Fuck England: The original Never Forget."

Brother Love

Her & Kings County | Highline Ballroom

Last edited by Keith; 07-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

To me the entire show is tainted by your biased view on gun control. You compare NYC to TN, and ignore every type of crime except for gun crime? Meanwhile in NYC stabbings are more common so the overall murder rates are about the same even though TN is one of the poorest states in the US. Statistically, Semi-auto rifles are rarely the choice of criminals and they're only drawn into the debate because of the fear factor of a military looking rifle.

If you want to know why you could ever possibly need military firearms, Chemda, look at the constant assault on our rights which now includes indefinite detention of US citizens with no charges, mass surveillance, condoned police brutality, warrantless searches, repeated attempts to censor the internet, and a loose definition of "potential terrorist" which includes veterans, people with more than a week's food on hand, gun owners, and anyone who supports third party candidates. Basically anyone who isn't goose-stepping along with the mainstream can be detained.

Keep this in mind, the lowest estimate for the number of people killed by their own governments worldwide in the last century is 160 million. I'm sure a German citizen in 1900 couldn't imagine Germany, one of the innovative technological leaders in the world, succumbing to fascism decades later. And once you lose your gun rights, you're not getting them back.

Last edited by John Walker; 07-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

John Walker Lindh?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
Keep this in mind, the lowest estimate for the number of people killed by their own governments worldwide in the last century is 160 million. I'm sure a German citizen in 1900 couldn't imagine Germany, one of the innovative technological leaders in the world, succumbing to fascism decades later. And once you lose your gun rights, you're not getting them back.

Godwin's law.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I don't care who's law, we ain't allowing Hitler up in here again!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
If you want to know why you could ever possibly need military firearms, Chemda, look at the constant assault on our rights which now includes indefinite detention of US citizens with no charges, mass surveillance, condoned police brutality, warrantless searches, repeated attempts to censor the internet, and a loose definition of "potential terrorist" which includes veterans, people with more than a week's food on hand, gun owners, and anyone who supports third party candidates. Basically anyone who isn't goose-stepping along with the mainstream can be detained.
I agree with you that the civil rights in the US are long gone, and certain laws looks like they're imported from China. But would keeping a loaded HK 416 with a grenadelauncher-attachment under your bed make your point? If the US state would deem you, John Walker a suspected terrorist for no reason at all and went to your house to detain you, would you open fire at the police in order to protect your rights? And then what? Join the local militia and declare war on your own governemnt? Politicians don't care if you are allowed having guns or not, neither democrats or republicans. What they care about is the lobbygroups of Halliburton or Heckler & Koch. Who would you battle? The lobbyists and superpacs?

I know it's hard to take in, but in order to live in a modern society with other people there are certain factors you have to consider. Gun ownership and civil liberties are two different things because of the danger they represent. While I liked guns when I was in the army, I wouldn't want to know that my neighbour had a cabinet full of pistols and semi automatics no matter what his reasons were. What would I do in order not to feel threatened by that - buy guns for myself just in case?

"Guns doesn't kill, people do" is something I hear a lot. But if people didn't have guns, it would be more difficult to kill.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Guns required

In Kennesaw, GA every household is required to have at least one gun. The crime rate is substantially lower than surrounding cities. If you're a robber and you have your choice of going to Kennesaw, or driving 10 minutes to the next city where you have a chance that the home owner doesn't have a firearm, you go there.

I think that the firearm laws are ridiculous. If you make a law that says you can't own or carry a firearm, who does that law apply to? The people that obey the laws. Do you really think a robber cares what the law states? He/she is already committing a crime by robbing someone, they don't care if they're allowed to legally carry a gun or not, and chances are that the gun they have isn't legal anyway.

Short story is that we can't go back -- Firearms are here and have been here for centuries. If you make them illegal, they're only illegal to law abiding citizens. The crooks don't care about the law. Which means making them illegal makes the crooks have the upper-hand.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

It makes sense for guns to be illegal in big cities. You don't need them, the problem is for rural areas. Personally, I'm for stricter gun control laws and possibly even outlawing them in some areas, as I said this is unrealistic in rural areas. I'm not even talking for protection. In general, in rural areas people are nice, relaxed and non violent to each other. But need to be able to put down livestock in a humane yet cost effective way, there are many situations where an animal gets hurt or sick to an extent where there's nothing you can realistically do for them, yet they are in great pain. Putting them out of their misery is the best option, you have to shoot them. The only other quick way to kill an animal is "putting it to sleep" which is incredibly expensive and thus unrealistic for livestock. Also sometimes you just have to shoot a coyote or gopher that is messing up your crops or livestock.
That said I don't understand the need for automatic weapons, don't get me wrong they're cool and really fun to hold and shoot but I don't get why you can own one.

(for the record I'm Canadian if that matters)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbailey View Post
The crooks don't care about the law. Which means making them illegal makes the crooks have the upper-hand.
On point, when Keith was mugged at gunpoint in NYC, the robbers pretty much knew Keith wasn't carrying a gun.

I was almost mugged in downtown Atlanta at about 3:00am, as I rounded a corner to get to the parking garage my car was in, this guy that had been following me and asking for money/cigarettes turned the corner as well. I have a coincided weapons license, and a .380cal in my pants. I turned the corner, turned around and waited for him to turn the corner, and all I had to do was pull up my shirt and say "I don't have anything for you buddy". He saw the pistol, and quickly went the other way. I didn't have to pull it out of the holster or anything, all I had to do was show that I was armed.

Last edited by pmbailey; 07-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Cause when you decide to take up arms against the US government, you have a reasonable chance of succeeding in overthrowing it.