Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Were Trey Galyon's parents good parents?
Yes 30 50.00%
No 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Trey is great!

Trey always cracks me up, but at least he knows about firearms, the extreme circumstances mentioned in the previous posts, and is realistic facts about both.

FYI, Michael emailed me on another topic, I didn't contact him, but since I was in the middle of a forum post and Keith acted like guns couldn't easily be made, and basically taunted me to make one, I went with it, and asked Michael if he had a high speed camera. (The email also came with a lot of KATG VIP praise, which wasn't mentioned on the show).

Unfortunately many other people have beat me to the punch. Here's just a couple shot guns made with two pieces of pipe:

$7 12-Gauge Zip Gun Homemade Shotgun - YouTube
12 GAUGE ZIP GUN HOMEMADE SHOTGUN PIPE GUN - YouTube

There's extremists on both sides. My mother is deathly afraid of guns, but everyone else in my family owns them. Mom will literally leave the room if she just sees one. Then there's the other side where you have people open-carrying guns in states just because they can. They're kinda nutty too.

I'm in the middle. I have a concealed carry license in the little town of Atlanta, but that doesn't mean I carry it on my person everywhere I go. But it's always in the console in my car, and I might put it in my pants if I feel like I'm in a bad part of town late at night.

All I was saying was, everyone should be able to make up their own mind as to gun ownership, and the "Governments" shouldn't interfere.

Go Trey! We should go to the range sometime, maybe we could find some targets of New Yorkers spouting off at the mouth with all their rudeness :P
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I love guns, I own a 9MM and have my conceal carry permit in Ohio. However, I do agree that one of the most dangerous places to be is in a shooting range, because of the lack of collective experience/knowledge of other shooters in the range.

I myself was already a somewhat experienced shooter, but after even taking safety and CCW courses you realize even people who think they're experienced have more to learn about safety, etc.

Guns can be fine and safe, if the gun holder/shooter knows what they're doing. I do agree it's crazy that someone can have zero experience, be given a gun and told to point it that'a way and shoot. In those cases, people get hurt.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Annie Lederman rocks. She's so quick with the biting retorts. Girl crush.
THIS.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

No ones said it yet

So no ones said it yet. Annie's parents weren't good. Not all bad parents beat their kids, there's extremes and you have to straddle that line to be a good parent. She says that she was just a trouble kid and her parents couldn't do anything about it. Thats not true. Letting your kid drink and smoke at 13 is bad parenting no matter how much you love your kid. A good parents could atleast stop their kid from drinking and smoking, and a great parent could make it so the kid wouldn't even start that early.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJsScreename View Post
IHowever, I do agree that one of the most dangerous places to be is in a shooting range, because of the lack of collective experience/knowledge of other shooters in the range.
You are right there for sure! The range I used to frequent had many deaths because people like Keith came in and rented a gun for $10. I know the ranges are to make money, but I'm not so sure about renting guns to inexperienced shooters, especially by themselves.

I no longer go to that range because of the other idiots that sometimes showed up. I've seen people clearing the chamber with the gun pointed at other people instead of down range.

Knowledge and experience is what makes for safe gun ownership. Unfortunately a lot of police officers have neither but are still issued a weapon. That scares me as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Squirrel View Post
Letting your kid drink and smoke at 13 is bad parenting no matter how much you love your kid. A good parents could atleast stop their kid from drinking and smoking, and a great parent could make it so the kid wouldn't even start that early.
Have you had a teenager that drinks and/or smokes? Glass houses and all that.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Have you had a teenager that drinks and/or smokes? Glass houses and all that.
Uh oh. Looks like we found another excellent parent...
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Ah, so you don't like these stats, so they must be false, and on top of that, no one in New York reports their crimes. Okay.

Perhaps a simpler explanation is that there are so many more people in New York that there's a perception that there's a lot more crime? Keith provided stats per 100K. How many areas of TN even have 100K people? Memphis and Nashville? The five boroughs of NYC have 8 million people. The entire state of TN has 6 million people.
See, I love forums, so much reading into other people's statements.

I neither believe nor disbelieve the stats Keith quoted, just pointing out that stats are subject to a lot of skewed data. The closest you might get to the "true" reality would be to aggregate a dozen or so published stats and average them out.

Either way, I don't accept statistics at face value without also looking at where they came from, what data sets they used and their methodology in formulating their numbers.

I'm sorry if my rational thoughts butthurts your feelings.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbailey View Post
Trey always cracks me up, but at least he knows about firearms, the extreme circumstances mentioned in the previous posts, and is realistic facts about both.
Trey may know about firearms but his attitude about the dangers of a .22 is the sort of thing that gets people killed. Even a BB gun can kill someone unintentionally. A firearm should always be respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbailey View Post
There's extremists on both sides. My mother is deathly afraid of guns, but everyone else in my family owns them. Mom will literally leave the room if she just sees one.
I've noticed more and more that women have come to have paralyzing fear of "violence". Which yeah, you should be concerned that violence can occur, be prepared for it.. I don't know, is it because women don't typically have fights like men do? Or are women raised more sheltered from it?

Men and women are both victims of violence. You don't typically find men who describe someone's glance across the room as "violent" though, or who will leave a room at the presence of a gun. Then again, not a lot of men fetishise victimhood to the degree women do.

Conversely, why don't more women carry firearms if they're so afraid of being a victim all the time? I've heard lots of women say a guy is scary because he's bigger and they're small, but a 9mm is a nice equalizing force if you're small. Yet women get mace, men get handguns.. why is that?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Uh oh. Looks like we found another excellent parent...
Heh, nope. Not a parent. Hence the not judging thing.