Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: Keith and parents and love and all that
He's right as rain 50 64.10%
He's wrong as slush 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1621: Best I Can

"And there was definitely ass on the carrot. And then I - I ate her ass-carrot. So I guess I've consumed trace amounts of her fecal matter."

Ray Devito

Comedian Pat Dixon
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just started listening to the show and this came up in the beginning, so I figure I'd comment on it. I know it won't end up as the focus of the show, but I love Spider-Man. Like, so much. I know it's nerdy and childish, but there's something in it that really appeals to me.

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man. Spider-Man 2 is honestly one of my favorite movies. Maybe more for nostalgic reasons, but I think it's such a great, fun, legitimately happy movie. It can be (probably successfully) be argued that this reboot is unnecessary, but the big thing it absolutely brings to the table is Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker. He's not a loser, nerdy sad-sack like Tobey Maguire's Parker was. He's vibrant and believable, an outcast trying to come to grips with himself and the death of his parents. His transformation into Spider-Man might be a pretty obvious metaphor for self-realization, but it's completely sold by the actor. I honestly think the parts of the movie with Peter Parker were stronger than those with Spider-Man (which weren't bad by any means.) And for a tiny little indie movie with such a small budget, it sure did look cool!

"Stay sick. Don't get well." -- The Mountain Goats (shut up.)
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, now I'm hearing about Ray's dad beating the piss out of him, and I feel kind of silly for writing a soliloquy about fucking Spider-Man.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's very biased to judge people's parents based on these one sided recollections.

It should be recognized that it has only been recently that child beating has been looked down upon(within 50 years). Child beating was institutionalized in the school systems in the UK and only outlawed in 1987. New York banned school corporal punishment only in 1985.

A tad more leniency is in order to the parents who physically discipline kids. It is very fair to say that they did not know better. Every human being before them were raised in such a fashion and were essentially taught in schools that children need to be dealt with physically.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment

Last edited by Astigos; 07-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

There's some middle ground between Keith and Chemda's points regarding parents.

I believe Pat mentioned something similar, but once a person's parents apologize and they all reconcile, it's difficult for the child to badmouth their parent(s) once they're an adult. They would most likely consider that what their parent(s) did when they were a kid was wrong, but as an adult they have already gone through the process of forgiving the people that raised them and don't want to repeatedly re-hash those issues. However, Keith and Chemda are more into discussing those issues at a deeper level.

Keith was 100% correct about Annie's parents yesterday and about Ray's parents when he was a kid. But...

It was unfair of Keith to harp on Ray's father for possible ulterior motives for the apology and reconciliation (that he was afraid of getting into trouble), and the same thing when Ray moved in with his father before he passed away (that his father needed support and help (although, what's wrong with that when you've suffered a major loss?)). Whatever the motives, at least Ray's father had the sense to stop beating his son. Maybe it was too late, but I bet stopping at that time would've been better for Ray in the long run than continuing that behaviour. Maybe it's possible for him to figure out what his "issues" could be and then accept them and move on.

Regarding Spiderman: I like the idea of superhero films in general, but the low quality is getting out of hand now. I hated the last Spiderman film with Tobey Maguire, and this new film with Andrew Garfield is an improvement, but marginally. At least the actors are tolerable.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
Regarding Spiderman: I like the idea of superhero films in general, but the low quality is getting out of hand now. I hated the last Spiderman film with Tobey Maguire, and this new film with Andrew Garfield is an improvement, but marginally. At least the actors are tolerable.
what i really think will always go against comic book based movies is that most of comic book ideas will always look dumb on screen. the avengers is an exception (and not even a flawless one), cant think of other movies that succeeded, excluding the batman ones (cause those were barely superhero movies to begin with)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Maybe you're right.

Unbreakable is one of my favourites, and I do consider it to be a superhero film.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

it is but a very realistic one, more in the line of the nolan batman than x men or thor.

btw, chemda said she finds strange that all the therapists do with ray is renew his meds and not check him again. my doctors do the same. thats why i despise therapy somehow. theyre really pill peddlers at best. they dont care about curing, they want to sell meds
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhatch View Post
Okay, now I'm hearing about Ray's dad beating the piss out of him, and I feel kind of silly for writing a soliloquy about fucking Spider-Man.
It's ok, Danny, Spiderman's parents sucked, too.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Keith is 100% right about parenting.

Justification is a scary self protecting ability that we all have. And it just makes it worse that kids feel like bad children if they bash their parents, so as they become adults, they justify the beatings. Then to justify what happened to them, they carry it on to their own children. It is such a horrible cycle.

My dad stopped hitting me the moment I stood up tall and said, "if you do that again, I'll hit you back" He didn't hit me a lot, but enough. He was very mentally abusive to my mom, and still "doesn't understand" why she divorced him. He has recreated his own reality to the point where he was a benevolent father in his own mind and we just didn't respect or understand him.

I think there should be a PSA on "don't hit your kids", but it won't work because then people will flip out over big government controlling their parenting.

It is SO difficult to deal with a snotty kid while keeping your cool. SO DIFFICULT. But you can do it. Intimidating them with violence is not healthy, and I'm with Chemda...only recently are we seeing how damaging hitting your children can be.

"the line you don't cross" is what gives us our humanity...and I wish everyone had the common sense to know where that line is...