Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you understand patriotism?
Yes 82 58.57%
No 58 41.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
This is the list I was referring to:

World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I think that other list still makes my point pretty clearly.

There's quite a difference between being number 50 and being number 16. Their list makes me suspicious though, because how can a city in the country with the highest pollution in the world be number one in livability? (Hong Kong won this year, and both Vancouver and Toronto slipped in ranking)

I prefer living in a small city so I wouldn't do well in New York. I don't believe that my living preferences mean that an entire city is shit, though.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
I think McNally has the right idea with the comparison to religion.

There is no logical way to discuss with most religious people about their amazing super duper #1 faith and there is no logical way to talk with most Americans about their amazing super duper #1 country so I just choose to believe that it is weird and slightly amusing and ignore it.
And that attitude allows those religious obstinates to make our lives frustratingly difficult, just like America does yours. Maybe we should all be standing up for ourselves more. See where that gets us.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. But not Germany. They shouldn't do any standing for awhile still.

Last edited by starscream; 07-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
And that attitude allows those religious obstinates to make our lives frustratingly difficult, just like America does yours. Maybe we should all be standing up for ourselves more. See where that gets us.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. But not Germany. They shouldn't do any standing for awhile still.
Oh trust me we don't but I am kinda proud to have proven Godwin's law still stands firm - Yeah science!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Oh trust me we don't but I am kinda proud to have proven Godwin's law still stands firm - Yeah science!
I was giving equal time to The Kaiser. But hey, I guess you guys have to find some way to sleep at night.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

oh mcnally, i got so mad at your tweets on breaking bad (yes im a fanboy) that i was ready to hate you and yet i agree with all your points on patriotism. you smart charming motherfucker.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

And don't get me wrong, I still like Breaking Bad. It was just so retardedly good, and I don't feel that same way about it anymore. But I dug the premiere, it was alright.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #27 (permalink)

I think it's pretty obvious that McNally's argument is completely broken. Every time a valid point was made during the show to counter what he was complaining about, he'd pull a "But... I don't... I just can't believe that..." then change to a new point about why he hates the U.S. Sorry man, you lose the debate if you keep making the arguments moving targets.

Me, I'm a patriotic American liberal. You know why I'm not ashamed of loving my country? Because I've experienced good things in it so far. We have the best universities (do people get shipped in by the truckload from other nations because we AREN'T #1?), and I got a great education from one of them. I am getting a science PhD at another. I go hiking in the mountains, as well as visit big cities like New York and Chicago. I visit my family here, who happily live in the midwest.

You SHOULD have positive feelings for the country in which you call home. Why else would you stay there, unless you do not have the means to move? If you live in a place you don't care about, you probably aren't going to try to make it change for the better. I can go rah rah USA and still recognize our shortcomings and attempt (through voting and personal action) to change my country. I'm happy to pay my little share in taxes that allows me access to a bunch of public services that I use. And because I've paid taxes into America, I have not only invested my emotions and allegiance, I've invested financially. I consider everything the U.S. does as representing me. That's why I feel shame and disappointment when we get into wars and try to revoke our own citizens' rights, but also why I feel proud when another incredible piece of technology or literature comes out of here.

In closing, YOU! ESS! AYY! YOU! ESS! AYY!
By the way, I am going to enjoy the hell out of the U.S. kicking ass in the Olympics next month, even if KATG aren't. Canada is favored to medal in... equestrian sports. Ha
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Don't get me wrong, I still would like to see us win all the awards because we have a God-given right to them. Only the final scores interest me is all.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
oh mcnally, i got so mad at your tweets on breaking bad (yes im a fanboy) that i was ready to hate you and yet i agree with all your points on patriotism. you smart charming motherfucker.

I'm missing it because my bastard cable company got into a pissing match with AMC and dropped the station.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

RE: Skeetheart

the fact that you felt the need to end up your post with susa yells is excactly what annoys me about patriotism. if you think that the us are the greatest country why do you feel this urge to yell it in the face of everyone else and belittle all countries?

waht mcnally is doing is exactly what US do about most of the world, all the time.

its ok to love your home, that doesnt mean that you have to jump in other people's gardens saying "your garden stinks, fag! we have the BEST GARDEN! G!A!R!D!EEE! N!""

Last edited by Junkenstein; 07-17-2012 at 02:37 PM.