Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do plot holes ruin a movie for you?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

@Bucho

I completely agree. I always hear people use the word "realistic" to describe Nolan's Batman movies. What the fuck was "realistic" about any of the 3? You can't make Batman realistic unless you drastically change the franchise.

But, fuck you, I love Inception!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
@Bucho

I completely agree. I always hear people use the word "realistic" to describe Nolan's Batman movies. What the fuck was "realistic" about any of the 3? You can't make Batman realistic unless you drastically change the franchise.

But, fuck you, I love Inception!
His direction to be realistic really shows in his choice of key characters. He specifically avoided magical or meta-powered villains (even stripping Ra's al Ghul of his Lazarus pits).

As much as I would have loved to see more crazy comic book type villains like Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter or my personal favorite Jason Todd, I can't imagine Nolan doing better with them than Joker, Two-Face or Bane.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Aaaaah, I don't really think Inception is shit Eric, I just get frustrated with all the audience hand-holding and explaining the same thing 27 times to Juno. The fancy stuff is still pretty neato. Funnily enough Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon Levitt steal that movie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
Haha! That's true. "It would be quite painful. For you."
There's nothing more terrifying than a masked behemoth who talks like a dandy. I wonder why it is that Brits are the best at playing hammed up villains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
His direction to be realistic really shows in his choice of key characters. He specifically avoided magical or meta-powered villains (even stripping Ra's al Ghul of his Lazarus pits).

As much as I would have loved to see more crazy comic book type villains like Clayface, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter or my personal favorite Jason Todd, I can't imagine Nolan doing better with them than Joker, Two-Face or Bane.
Not "realistic", but "realistic relative to other comic book movies". As close as we get to "realistic" in terms of modern action movies is probably something like Bourne Identity. That dude's some kind of elite ass-kicker but he's not playing dress-up or taking on 12 guys at once and winning or diving out of airplanes with no parachute. Or even look back as far as Die Hard. Nolan's Batman movies have been more grounded than other comic book movies but they're still plenty bonkers.

One thing I agreed with the Keiths on was that Batman Begins is still the best one. Katie Holmes and all.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
A few of the plot holes discussed can be explained (e.g. No one tried to escape because the military was patrolling the bridges with guns, they made a point of explaining that food was brought into the city as that's how that special forces team got in, etc), but yes, there are plot holes in the movie. Didn't stop me from enjoying it. For me, the enjoyment comes from the "feeling" the movies give off. It is surprising how airtight Inception is by comparison, but, oh well.

Also, with The Dark Knight, they made Batman the bad guy at the end of it because Batman/Gordon didn't want to reveal to the public that Harvey Dent had become Two-Face as that would un-do all the work he had done as District Attorney (like the organized crime laws that put all the mob guys in jail).
[THIS ENTIRE POST HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN EYE-ROLLED]
Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I also, as much as I saw a bunch of "problems" with Dark Knight Rises, tooooooootally got that movie. I think the key was where McNally said he enjoyed the Avengers in spite of the silliness because it was more comic-booky. Like a movie which opens with a mid-air heist where a plane hooks up another plane and guys abseil into the other plane and perform a blood transfusion while their leader, in a weird mask with a hilarious campy accent, explains how they're going to take over the world is begging to be taken realistically?
Do you think script supervisors and people that watch for continuity problems got paid the same on this movie as they would on other movies.

"Chris, did you notice the cops under the tunnel - "

"Yeah, what part of hi-jacking a plane in midair make you guys think I give a shit?"

"Just checking."
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
[THIS ENTIRE POST HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN EYE-ROLLED]
Ha!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

McNally is a liar.

He says he hates this city, yet he actually sounds more grounded now than when he was away from this city.

He hates aspects of this city, as we all do. But he loves this city just as much. Go have another Reuben. Are the sandwiches better in Toronto? (I'm sure we'll hear how they are.)

------

Movies SUCK! In general movies SUCK. It's a churn factory these days. They don't care what crap they put on the screen. Just throw whatever at the public. If it sticks, it's in the theater for a couple of months and we can make more money later with DVD sales. If it doesn't, it's out a week or two and we still make money on DVD sales and cable deals. They just want to make money. It's not about making actual good movies with actual good stories that anyone might actually enjoy.

And if you enjoy the crap, then they're making it just for you. It sure isn't for me.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

I like the people I know here. If they lived somewhere else, I'd go there. Come on, use your noggin, Brian.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So you use us for our people. And our sandwiches, of course. Now I get it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Not "realistic", but "realistic relative to other comic book movies".
Exactly. If he was going for realism, Batman wouldn't have all the gadgets and vehicles he does. I think he showed he wasn't going for realism in the first movie by having the crux of the film be Batman trying to stop the bad guys from using a microwave beam to evaporate the city's water supply.

Also, whatever, Keith. No one's forcing you to like the movie. You explained you don't like people laughing at you for considering The Sixth Sense to be your favourite movie, so why do you feel you have to spend half an episode shitting on a movie that people got enjoyment out of?