Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do plot holes ruin a movie for you?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
Also, whatever, Keith. No one's forcing you to like the movie. You explained you don't like people laughing at you for considering The Sixth Sense to be your favourite movie, so why do you feel you have to spend half an episode shitting on a movie that people got enjoyment out of?

He does it because y'all freak out so much about it.

I need a third option of "sometimes" for the poll so I will be good and abstain from voting. There is a certain threshold that writers can get away with when they ask their audience to suspend their disbelief. But if they go over that threshold they lose the audience. But sometimes I'll get hung up on something small and can't get over it -- like casting a guy 20 years too young to play Henry VIII in The Tudors. I just couldn't watch that show. They had sexy young Henry at a point in his life when he was actually old, ugly, fat Henry.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 07-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Also, whatever, Keith.
Good point, but you're doing the opposite of whatever.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
He does it because y'all freak out so much about it.
So he's a button-pusher?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I don't mind if you use the way I refer to "button-pushers" against me. After all, you're okay with plot holes.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

When it's a comic book movie that's not pretending to be something that could happen in real life, no, I don't mind a few plot holes.

You made a great point about why didn't anyone shoot Bane, or Batman? Yeah, why didn't anyone? And, if Batman is so concerned about protecting the people of Gotham, why is he so against killing bad guys? People like The Joker and Bane aren't going to be "rehabilitated" in prison. Because some things have to be for the story to progress. Batman has to be able to quickly recover from severe injuries so he can keep going. You mentioned his back, what about his knees and that "magic knee brace"?

I'm there to see a movie about a character I grew up loving. I fully admit I'm biased and can overlook stuff that you wouldn't. I didn't love The Dark Knight Rises, but I enjoyed it.

EDIT: Also, I agree with McNally that Talia did NOT need to be in the movie.

Last edited by zappbrannigan; 07-31-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

He made a Bat-thing for his knees. I was fine with that. But his back... Cause he was held up...

How does any movie move on without being ridiculous? Good writing, that's how.

Batman can be a non-murdering douche. That's too bad, but it's okay. But every single cop is as well? They can pull their gund on Batman but not on Bane, who they of course now know is evil?

I only go on and on because people like you aren't willing to admit the difference between something like the way the cops' (non)actions were (not) written and something like, "It's already crazy! He wears a bat mask!"

It's beyond bizarre to me because I know you know the difference.

Quote:
I didn't love The Dark Knight Rises, but I enjoyed it.
My goal is to downgrade your feelings to 'you tolerated it.'
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
So he's a button-pusher?
He's telling you his sincere reaction to the movie, but in a way that will gain a response from the audience. Is that a button pusher? I thought button pushers fake an adversarial standpoint to get the reaction.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

So if he had made a Bat-thing for his back, that would've completely changed the believability? He was held up in a rope and the dude kicked it into place. Maybe his back wasn't actually broken, but "dislocated" or whatever the term would be?

Again, you can't kill the villains until the end of the movie (if you kill them at all) because otherwise you have no movie. Maybe no one shot because they didn't want to risk hitting Batman?

I know I'm saying "maybe" a lot, but that just proves that it's not a perfect movie (far from it). I can still enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
I know I'm saying "maybe" a lot, but that just proves that it's not a perfect movie (far from it). I can still enjoy it.
You certainly can enjoy it. That's what makes America so great. It's a free country, and you may enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You certainly can enjoy it. That's what makes America so great. It's a free country, and you may enjoy it.
By hating the movie, you're not "hurting my feelings" or "attacking the thing [Batman] I grew up loving." Nolan's Batman is definitely farfetched and goofy, and not really my vision of Batman, but I still liked it. I liked what he was going for, even if the latter movies are flawed. You didn't. I only took exception because you went on and on and on with ragging on it. You're not going to change my mind. If you thought the movie was that fucking bad, it shouldn't even be worth your time. You spent more time shitting on this movie then you did shitting on James Holmes.

@Blitzgal

If you're doing something to get a rise out of people (no pun intended), you're pushing their buttons. I was joking anyway.