Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: When something online is Pay What You Want, do you usually pay something?
Yes, I pay something 69 65.71%
No, I take it for free 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

JFOD on KATG, always makes it a good day.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

I'm Gnostic Christian and I wanted to take a few moments to respond to a few things JFOD said about the Gnostic gospels:

It's not accurate to say Gnostics saw Jesus as just "some eastern mystic" or just a "wise teacher" or anything like that. While the Gnostic view of Jesus is somewhat different than the orthodox view, there is generally agreement that Jesus was the divine manifestation of God in the world.

For example this quote from the Gnostic Gospel of Philip relates to the divinity of Jesus: "Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way. There is a rebirth and an image of rebirth. It is certainly necessary to be born again through the image. Which one? Resurrection."

Also The Gospel of Truth -"The gospel of truth is joy to those who have received from the Father of truth the gift of knowing him by the power of the Logos (Christ), who has come from the Pleroma and who is in the thought and the mind of the Father; he it is who is called "the Savior," since that is the name of the work which he must do for the redemption of those who have not known the Father."

And also this quote from Treatise on the Resurrection: "It (the resurrection) is no illusion, but it is truth! Indeed, it is more fitting to say the world is an illusion, rather than the resurrection which has come into being through our Lord the Savior, Jesus Christ. "

Also Gnostics have varying ideas about divinity, I think it is more accurate to say that when Gnostics talk about being a "Christ" it is more about being the physical embodiment of Christ in the world, not becoming a little "god" or reaching our on divine potential in some new-age type of way. In orthodox Christianity, we are taught to become "Christ-like," while the Gospel of Philip says something to the effect: "Not like Christ. A Christ." It is a small distinction, and IMO more of a commentary on the purpose of becoming like Christ than anything else.

Also it is Thomas that supposedly went to India, not Christ. Acts of Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gnosticism, like JFOD said, is subversive in a lot of ways, but I think it is fair to say that it is ultimately very similar to orthodox Christianity. We happen to share a LOT with orthodox Christianity. For instance, the (genuine) writings of Paul are extremely important to us, as well as the canonical Gospel of John, which is quite possibly Gnostic in origin.

Yes none of us really believe in a literal eternal Hell, and Gnostics aren't concerned with whether or not people are gay, however it would be ignorant for me or anyone to force my understanding of Christianity on anyone else or to go around saying, "I am right and they are all wrong." It is dangerous to say Christianity should have been "this way" or was "hijacked" by "these people" b/c pretty much anyone who doesn't think Christianity is the way they want it to be whines about another group "hijacking it" or not representing it the way it truly should be.

Despite the multitude of disagreements we have with orthodox Christianity, I don't think many, if any, modern Gnostics have a problem with people being Protestant, Catholic, or whatever. We just happen to have a different way of looking at what is ultimately the same thing.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 08-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
I'm Gnostic Christian and....
I have done very little research on the subject but what little I did do, many years ago. In relation to the Apocrypha and reasons why said books were removed; the main reason SEEMS to point to your religion. It's been some time since I read the bible but I've gotten better at recalling more of it as Christians become more vocal in my community. Admittedly, I'm agnostic but I love learning and reading about various religions specifically ancients and little known faiths (Sumerian=awesome). Anyways! I was gonna call out my boy, but I got side tracked with PSN games/demos, lol...I support Mr.FOD and will be donating some money to him VERY soon for some of his cds (christ he has 6?!). But he is off on his point of view on the subject, I was thinking he may have formed the idea on a sort of miss-mash of ideals. Like mixing some people together for whatever reason. Dunno. Sorry for gushing, not to be a douche but I really wanna pry your brain now lol. I do have one question for you on Gnosticism...Is there a greek mythos influence by any means? I may be mistaking it with someone else. Just saying. Oh yea, uhh, if this is too off topic through PM is fine too.
Medium Brumski: The only reason we have the 2nd Amendment is because John Adams was afraid of the zombie apocalypse and he wanted to make sure Americans would be prepared, I guess Keith hasn't gotten to that part of the mini-series yet.

Sparrow:...Brings up her point? What point?! Are we naht suckin' ya cahk hahd enough, Sue?!?

Keith: Oh, you...
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

Hatred

I was recently on vacation with my friend and his brother. His brother is a huge racist and hates everyone but white people. He insults blacks, Mexicans, women... and it made me very uncomfortable. His hatred seemed completely unfounded much like the religious people who hate gays. Although he was friendly to black people throughout the trip, behind their back he would rant about Fucking n**** and other hatred towards races. I told him i liked black women and he said he didn't want to talk to me anymore. It was a scary experience to see that people think like this, he sounded like someone from american history X. My way of dealing with these people is just to avoid them. I will let my friend know that I will not be spending any more time with his brother and hopefully if enough people do this, those people will realize that they are isolating themselves because of their views.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

Love JFOD! In his rambles he speaks the truth. So glad I got out of the brainwashing, partly thanks to KATG. Life is so much better without the guilt for everything. Speaking of guilt, when things are "pay what you want", I tend not to download when I can't pay. I know the idea is to get it out there, but it feels wrong to just take someone's work.

Last edited by lizzy1e; 09-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.