Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is space stupid?
Yes 19 16.96%
No 93 83.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i am singing AIIIIIDS out loud, now.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Isaac Asimov actually had a lot to say about colonizing space. His books are really worth reading for anyone with any interest on the subject.

As for cross-science help, I have no direct evidence or quotes. But when I've seen various science shows on TV the scientists often talk about what lead them to a certain direction on studying a subject. It's not unusual for them to relate how they thought of it, or went in that direction, because of something they learned from another scientific discipline.

Last edited by BrianAlt; 08-31-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
As for cross-science help, I have no direct evidence or quotes. But when I've seen various science shows on TV the scientists often talk about what lead them to a certain direction on studying a subject. It's not unusual for them to relate how they thought of it, or went in that direction, because of something the learned from another scientific discipline.
So I'm right! If we want to colonize space, we should start by doing everything we can with science on earth, and then we'll find the penicillin of space travel accidentally!

Finally we all agree. #SpaceByAccident!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If only things were that easy.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
My point really is, I feel that scientists working on the space program actually help scientists working on solving world hunger and vice versa.
Indeed, NASA does a lot of work in agriculture, not only in learning how too grow food in the emptiness of space, but how to grow and manage our food on Earth better. There is a strong partnership between the agricultural department, weather department, and NASA that enables these sort of discoveries that without NASA's involvement are not possible.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #36 (permalink)

Scientists need to be motivated and inspired to enjoy their work. And for many of them the interests they have is in the cosmos. Its not up to us or even them to dictate what their passions are. It would be like asking Myq to write comedy about something he doesn't have any interest or knowledge in. Could he make the jokes? I'm sure he could. Would he do it as passionately or effectively as his usual creative self and ideas, maybe not. Perhaps too many of the great minds of our generation are persuing far-off issues, but these are areas of study we will eventually have to master to survive. And the threat of asteroids could very well be just as pressing of a matter to our survival than any disease.

Also NASA is such a small part of our tax dollar that to even consider the money allocation aspect is ridiculous. We could easily cut our defense budget and provide food and safe drinking water to the world, reduce poverty, or provide education and still have enough left over to be the most heavily financed military in the world. Not to mention the funds could very well provide more incentive so more scientists to switch fields of research.

Our delving into space has culturally, economically and technologically benefited us not only in the US, but as a species. New technologies that drive entire industries and future industries. We create Hero's who are pioneering a giant leap in human civilization.

Is NASA the most efficient engine for innovation ever? Probably not. But we can do both. We can explore the Cosmos while improving life here. We already have been. There are much bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by Robotron; 08-31-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
Is NASA the most efficient engine for innovation ever? Probably not. But we can do both. We can explore the Cosmos while improving life here. We already have been. There are much bigger fish to fry.
That's all I want, for science to invent a gigantic fish that can feel no pain and is happy to have parts of it eaten by the starving people of the world, so everyone is happy. (It regenerates quickly, and feels pleasure when people cut part of it away.) If NASA and other science can lead to that, wonderful. I would totally eat animals if it caused them pleasure. (Make your own joke, everyone!)

I sincerely hope I'm not coming across as a stubborn, hard-assed, anti-NASA jerk. I do understand it's a relatively small budget they're working with, and I do also understand that cross-disclipinary progress is a thing (even if it's a term I made up that the computer doesn't like).

I do think progess is being made in the world. (Though I also think despite the fact that technological advances have extended and enriched the lives of many, it has caused vast disparities between the haves and the have nots that could use some tweaking. Cave people used to have a lot less, but probably were pretty egalitarian. And I'm happy that we have the capacity to have more than they did, and on average I'm sure we do even. So we're heading in the right direction. I just want to be loud while we do it. Should this parenthetical have ended a while ago? I think so!)

In any event, I'm glad smart people of all kinds are working on the things they are. And I'm sure dumb people who are higher ranked than them are doing bad things that make their work less efficient. Maybe we'll find some real smart alien out there that will help us fix everything. I'm on team NASA now! Find that alien! Find that alien!

Sincerely enjoying the discussion. People who know things, please keep saying them! And people who have things (like money), please keep giving it to people who need it or smart people who will do good things with it.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
myq

PS why are we talking about space? I literally don't remember it being discussed on the show. ("Then it's the space between your ears, stupid" -- some funny jerk, to me.)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

I don't think your coming off as a hard ass. I appreciate your view on the subject and I think it's a valid one. I agree the progress we make is painfully stagnant. And that much of the big industries that make life easier for us are hurting others. Rare metals being mined by children in Africa to make our computers, unsafe conditions to reduce production costs in China, or a plethora of any number of borderline human rights violations we use to get the luxuries of the first world are all deplorable. And unfortunately few avenues exists to aid these issues and the ones we have are either slow or ineffective. However things like hunger, water, and poverty are things that we have a slightly bigger grasp on. We just need to open our wallets a little more and get people motivated.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
I don't think your coming off as a hard ass. I appreciate your view on the subject and I think it's a valid one. I agree the progress we make is painfully stagnant. And that much of the big industries that make life easier for us are hurting others. Rare metals being mined by children in Africa to make our computers, unsafe conditions to reduce production costs in China, or a plethora of any number of borderline human rights violations we use to get the luxuries of the first world are all deplorable. And unfortunately few avenues exists to aid these issues and the ones we have are either slow or ineffective. However things like hunger, water, and poverty are things that we have a slightly bigger grasp on. We just need to open our wallets a little more and get people motivated.
Hooray! That's what I think! You said smart things and I agree. Everyone wins! (Except the people with no water. Let's get it to them. Also people who need nets to stop the malaria. Help here! I learned about them through GiveWell, who does in-depth charity research, via The Life You Can Save.)

Good night, everyone!