Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is space stupid?
Yes 19 16.96%
No 93 83.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
PS why are we talking about space? I literally don't remember it being discussed on the show. ("Then it's the space between your ears, stupid" -- some funny jerk, to me.)
Excellent question! And you didn't discuss space on the show. I kept waiting for it to be discussed!

It's because of the poll on the episode. I guess Keith couldn't think of any other poll for this episode. So that's why.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

It's because of the blue moon.

And calling space stupid is unfair. It's not space's fault that space's mother smoke and drank while she was pregnant with space.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
But couldn't some of the nay-sayers be thinking that that $2.5 billion dollars could employ those same smart NASA people into thinking of ways to create or transport cheap food, water, and vaccines all around THIS planet? (There would probably be simpler solutions, and less thrust. #IDoNotKnowAboutSpaceThings.)

I am somewhat serious though! People who want to explore space, tell me why money is better spent on that, rather than using science here to figure out cool things. Maybe someone curing AIDS will accidentally invent the best spaceship ever as a by-product (bi-product?). Somewhat serious! (That last part was the somewhat part.)

PS if you take away NASA from "nay-sayers," you end up with why-why-ers.
Does that mean anything? If not? Why? Why?
No.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! I also can't wait! But have to a little bit longer, for the theme song.

And one of the effects of spending money now on space, is that it's not being spent on preventing people in the human race from dying on earth, now. If we want the species to survive, how about we get water to everyone that we could? I understand it's not a lot of money compared to the military's budget, but THAT budget could be too big AND so could space's, no? Keep more earthlings alive NOW, get better education for everyone in place, and we'll have even more people to get on this space thing later, once no one is starving and dying unnecessarily. (Not that I understand all the implications of everything I'm saying, but it just seems weird to be caring about the human species of the future at the expense of the human species of the present... especially when space technology could also lead to some new weapon that would wipe us all out before we BECOME future us.)

And no one on earth would have come up with the insole?
The harsh truth is it's not money that's preventing most people from getting proper access to food/water/education. It's the political systems in place in the areas of the world they live in. I don't believe adding more money will in any way speed up the process of changing the way certain countries treat their citizens.

Also some of the technology we use to try to help people get food and water in areas that aren't typically accessible has also benefited from the research the space program has done.

As someone mentioned before, I believe that the space technology we develop will eventually be key to the survival of the human race (either travel to other planets or allowing us to reverse the negative effects we've caused already on Earth) and if we stop advancing space technology and the day comes where we can no longer survive on earth then the whole race is screwed.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

This show was so funny and fun. You guys seemed like you were having so much fun I wished I could be there too.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #46 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthewhite View Post
The harsh truth is it's not money that's preventing most people from getting proper access to food/water/education. It's the political systems in place in the areas of the world they live in. I don't believe adding more money will in any way speed up the process of changing the way certain countries treat their citizens.
Certain countries, maybe. But other places, money is all that is necessary.

Givewell has vetted various charities that provide legit support for health care in Nepal, microloans for women in Africa, education in India... and the big causes that are most efficiently helped by money are eliminating malaria and worms in mostly children in Africa. Microloans are especially good at helping women and others get out from under oppressive situations.

I know not every problem can be simply dealt with. But for some of them, it IS simply a matter of more money needed to keep a proven system of helping going.

Quote:
Also some of the technology we use to try to help people get food and water in areas that aren't typically accessible has also benefited from the research the space program has done.
Accepted. I acknowledge the space program has side benefits for other technologies, and that that's how science often works.

Quote:
As someone mentioned before, I believe that the space technology we develop will eventually be key to the survival of the human race (either travel to other planets or allowing us to reverse the negative effects we've caused already on Earth) and if we stop advancing space technology and the day comes where we can no longer survive on earth then the whole race is screwed.
I guess the human race being screwed isn't really the worst concept in the world to me. Human civilization has screwed so many other species along the way, but that's also what happens. Some species thrive and others go extinct. And right now, we're "thriving" but at the same time so many individuals are suffering. So, if we didn't exist anymore, at least neither would that suffering.

Also, I really feel it's possible that lots of humans will blow each other up nuclear-style with new technologies (that might stem from the space race) and we could essentially uninhabit the earth way before it has a chance to do it to us.

Not saying it's not good to try things. Good luck, space scientists! I hope you don't destroy us all. Probably you won't, I'm an optimist! And especially if an asteroid comes and a real life Bruce Willis can stop it, or something like that, I'm on board. (Conceptually, not actually on board the ship that stops it. I'm not Bruce Willis. But I do like saying "Yippie ki-yay.")

Did I say all the things? In conclusion, space exploration seems reasonable but there are a lot of unknowns, and on earth there are places money can help and there are a lot more knowns and hopefully more easily fixables.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello, "Thank!". Meet your new friend, "You!".
Thank! You! (Does that work as well as "Fuck! Yes!"? I! Hope! So!)
Sincere appreciation of your advance enthusiasm! I cannot wait until you have stopped waiting to listen to this. Enjoy! It!
He made my dumb joke, funny...
Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

The poll should have been: What are you most afraid of? AIDS or Commitment.

Tough choice...
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
The poll should have been: What are you most afraid of? AIDS or Commitment.
At least if you get into a commitment where neither of you have AIDS, then you don't have to worry about getting AIDS. And if you already have AIDS, then you also don't have to worry about getting AIDS. So AIDS and commitment are both powerful tools that keep you from getting AIDS.

In conclusion, I agree that could have been an interesting poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSZilla View Post
He made my dumb joke, funny...
Couldn't have done it without you!
You said a nice thing, I said a thing back.
We all win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica332 View Post
This show was so funny and fun. You guys seemed like you were having so much fun I wished I could be there too.
It really WAS so much fun. I'm sorry everyone couldn't be there, but that would have gotten cramped probably. But if it makes you feel better, I wish I was still there experiencing it now/still. So now we're all in an equal position, where all anyone can do is listen to it or remember.

We all tie! At winning!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

i love you myq. that's all.