Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should there be another American Civil War?
Yes 66 52.38%
No 60 47.62%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i understand my people and our history. we are blighted by our past and embarrassed by our trash. why do you feel like it's your right and duty to defame us all and deny the validity and importance of our current contributions? it's much easier to toss us all off as hillbillies than to have an actual conversation. i'm not even sure a conversation about it could take place without it devolving into barefoot and pregnant jokes. we are a vast, beautiful region and i am awful proud to be from here. my brother and i weren't raised in a hate culture nor have we fucked each other. there are good things here and good people fighting the stereotypes. it's my life's work. so, to answer how one should denigrate my people: how about let's not.

with respect to Keith's civil war--which, while dividing is the way wrong way to go about fixing our country (divided we fall, y'all)--the tension is excrutiatingly thick in our country and a good rumble and tumble would go a long way. men's physical release opens doors to more civil discourse. it'll start when someone pretty dies. don't worry. also, i believe the "other" side in the discussion included all the red states. it's funny how any reference to backward assholery reads FULL SOUTH to everyone. well, it's not funny. i get it. it's still not nice.
With respect to the first part: because while it's your history, it's also my history. A more removed part of my history, but it's still done under the banner of the United States, which makes your trash my trash and my trash your trash.

What is a good way to describe and accurately denigrate that garbage in casual conversation? What terms would make sense to adequately describe that particular sub-set of the shameful aspects of American history? I understand taking umbrage with claims of incest, but there's got to be a way to negatively describe a region where many state flags still have ties to the confederacy by virtue of popular mandate.

What terms or words would you find capable of capturing this negativity without also denying your contributions and those of your like-minded peers in the region?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

oh! i understand.

it's not the verbiage, it's an attitude. i am very willing to go off on some redneck bullshit with you if i know you know that's what it is. it's the thin line between shared frustration and hate.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't know if those giant pull-down maps are even made anymore, but if they are, I should look into having this made.

postCivilWarII.jpg
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Just pointing out what is right.

But look: if you and Danny were both hanging off a cliff and I could only save one of you, I'd go out of my way to knock Danny off.

He'd like the attention.
Working on my Keith accent for show number 3.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Let's remember who the true enemy is.

Dean's Australian for "tricky."
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Let's remember who the true enemy is.

Dean's Australian for "tricky."
Awww - come on Keith - you know I can't interpret those cryptic statements...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

It's not about you. I'm in self-preservation mode.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

I can't express how much I agree with Keith. We need to fight back!! We need the racists and the homophobes to be so alienated that they wouldn't DARE express their narrow views in public. The same way a gay couple needs to hde their sexuality in the southern states. I think it needs to be so comfortable for them that they just shut the fuck up.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

... AND religion being to blame is 1000000% correct!! We need to abolish religion if we expect any forward movement because it allows people to justify their ignorant, and hateful views. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS!!!

I don't care if some people can be good people and have religion because those people will be good people regardless ... we can no longer allow bad people to have a God and a "heaven" to look forward to as a result of their negative behaviour. It perpetuates it.

Religion NO longer has place or use in the modern world other than to oppress groups of people.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiethestrange View Post
... AND religion being to blame is 1000000% correct!! We need to abolish religion if we expect any forward movement because it allows people to justify their ignorant, and hateful views. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS!!!

I don't care if some people can be good people and have religion because those people will be good people regardless ... we can no longer allow bad people to have a God and a "heaven" to look forward to as a result of their negative behaviour. It perpetuates it.

Religion NO longer has place or use in the modern world other than to oppress groups of people.
Some times I'm scared if you get rid of religion we'll be faced with an even scarier truth... that people just believe this bigoted nonsense not BECAUSE of religion but in spite of religion. I'm not sure it's religion that makes people racist, homophobic of xenophobic. I feel like it comes from somewhere even deeper than that and religion is just an easy way of explaining it and not feeling like it's "your fault."

Last edited by rodimusprime; 09-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.