Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should there be another American Civil War?
Yes 66 52.38%
No 60 47.62%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
Some times I'm scared if you get rid of religion we'll be faced with an even scarier truth... that people just believe this bigoted nonsense not BECAUSE of religion but in spite of religion. I'm not sure it's religion that makes people racist, homophobic of xenophobic. I feel like it comes from somewhere even deeper than that and religion is just an easy way of explaining it and not feeling like it's "your fault."
I understand that, but facing the truth is better in my opinion. I feel that if people are honest then forward movement, and acceptance, is more possible. If you asked someone "why don't you want gays to get married?" and they say "The bible." then how can you argue? They have most likely been indoctrinated and brainwashed by religion and have lost the ability to think logically.

If they say "because it's gross/wrong/unnatural/perverted" these are all statements that can be fairly easily refuted. It may not convince them, but at least it is a step forward.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiethestrange View Post
I understand that, but facing the truth is better in my opinion. I feel that if people are honest then forward movement, and acceptance, is more possible. If you asked someone "why don't you want gays to get married?" and they say "The bible." then how can you argue? They have most likely been indoctrinated and brainwashed by religion and have lost the ability to think logically.

If they say "because it's gross/wrong/unnatural/perverted" these are all statements that can be fairly easily refuted. It may not convince them, but at least it is a step forward.
I feel you Angie. I think religion has been divisive and destructive myself. I guess I was just thinking of that second scenario you illustrated. I don't think we'd be able to convince people to leave their ignorance behind even if they weren't clutching their bibles or Korans or whatever.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiethestrange View Post
Religion NO longer has place or use in the modern world other than to oppress groups of people.
Thankfully, adherence/devotion to organized religion is on the decline all around the world. It might take a while, but I think we will see in our life time, the collapse of organized religious faiths as people wake up and realize what wholesale fraud much of it is. It's already happening. Church parishes are going to the wall as attendences plummet and churches are having to amalgamate just to remain viable. Compensation claims against churches - both Prodestant and Catholic - are at an all time high and escalating as people call them out on their sins. People will only tolerate so much kiddy fucking until they start railing and baying for blood.

The Catholic and Prodestant will be reduced to the level of a cult and it will be apt to ask the question "Where's your Messiah now!?"
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklXbns View Post
I don't know if those giant pull-down maps are even made anymore, but if they are, I should look into having this made.

Attachment 60301
NO!!! The PNW is way too awesome to be 'Merica. Besides, we have all of the best breweries.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

religion is one of those places where we just can't damn have nice things. submission to service; radical love; forgiveness; mercy; grace. oneness. we're all headed somewhere--probably escaping as heat from our dead tissues--but, whatever it is we're doing, it gives meaning and gets done better when we do it together. Religion in times of lesser hysteria on a community level provides the safe space for those things to happen oftentimes being the only acceptable place to be vulnerable or get support during hard times. i think it was emotionally needful in my hometown for the miners to have a place to deal with their insides and a designated day to spend time with the reasons they were working so hard.

it's disappointing and in no way surprising we can't have these nice things stay nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

And I think that's the point of an atheist group. What if you can have all of the above without the underlying NON-acceptance and hate?

THAT'S the point of atheist meetings. Because it's the meetings part that everyone really needs.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

on the money, keet.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #38 (permalink)

That is it Sparrow! It's time be be like "no, you fucked it up... and now we're taking it away."
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
we're already in a civil war, it's crazy people with guns vs. the rest of us

no i don't think we should have a civil war, especially with nukes

but if we were what would we be fighting over:
gay rights?
pro-rights vs. pro choice?
coke vs. pepsi
east vs. west
etc.
What did we fight over with the first civil war? the North making it hard for the South to make money.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
Some times I'm scared if you get rid of religion we'll be faced with an even scarier truth... that people just believe this bigoted nonsense not BECAUSE of religion but in spite of religion. I'm not sure it's religion that makes people racist, homophobic of xenophobic. I feel like it comes from somewhere even deeper than that and religion is just an easy way of explaining it and not feeling like it's "your fault."

I agree with you. If religion disappeared tomorrow, human beings would just devise some other social tool to categorize and separate each other into "teams." Tribal mentality is the nasty underbelly of our survival instinct. We obsessively try to identify who is "one of us" and who is "one of them." I'm not justifying it -- it leads to a lot of bloodshed and terrible things. But religion is just one arbitrary tool that we use to do it. We'd come up with something else if religion didn't exist.