Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should there be another American Civil War?
Yes 66 52.38%
No 60 47.62%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
I think this is so above anyone's mental capabilities and both sides are arguing just as fervently for things they can't prove.
things we can't prove. like gravity? i've had my own set of spiritual what the fucks, but i'll still put my stock into a system that can admit when it's wrong and change its worldview as it becomes more clear. the unchanging hand of god was geocentric.

just for the discussion, religion and spirituality are two separate things, have been billed as two separate things in this argument, but stu you're using them interchangeably. could you define and clarify how you view the two? for me there's a huge difference between my connection to the things my body doesn't have sense receptors for and following dogma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
one man, and a woman made from his leftover parts are our ancestors and we're just a product of inbreeding
adam and eve are genesis 2. in genesis 1 all of humanity gets created at once.

I dove into a copy of the Lutheran translation of the Bible a few weeks ago. Its emphasis on obedience was weird.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
You're right, I should probably have been there to know for sure someone can be killed and then live again, or that some dude made fish a bread appear out of thin air, or that a man can defy physics and walk on water, that fires can talk to people, that one man made a zoo boat and then repopulated the planet shortly thereafter, and that one man, and a woman made from his leftover parts are our ancestors and we're just a product of inbreeding where the complications of such inbreeding is only apparent in the last few centuries.

All these things are so up in the air as to if they could happen in reality or not?

And as Stu (I believe) has already noted way earlier in the thread, a lot of Christian mythology comes directly from pre-existing pagan mythology. Early Christians were genius propagandists -- to gain followers they merely incorporated already existent mythology and holidays into their belief system. Neo-paganism has muddied the waters a lot, and they claim that certain rituals are "ancient" when they aren't, but we know that some of the biggies such as Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays that were appropriated by the Christians.

I think there is plenty of historical evidence to show that Jesus was a real man and a real religious teacher. I actually dig a lot of what he had to say. However, his existence isn't evidence that he is the son of a deity, that he resurrected from the dead, that he performed miracles, etc. He was a dude with some really chill things to say. I'll also note that most of the outspoken Christians that I see in American society today do not follow the teachings of Christ, who was all about helping the poor and the outcast and didn't say one damned thing about gay people.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #124 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
We are just breeders, that is what every living organism is made to do. What else do you think we are? preservers of the earth? we obviously aren't here to make things better. We are biological organisms, even the smallest organism has a job...to multiply.
Except worker ants and mules.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
And as Stu (I believe) has already noted way earlier in the thread, a lot of Christian mythology comes directly from pre-existing pagan mythology.
Agreed, but she asked what in the bible is made up, and if I was there to witness the events as if that's the only way to determine their veracity. If it's stolen from other mythos then it's even more likely to not be factual.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, but she asked what in the bible is made up, and if I was there to witness the events as if that's the only way to determine their veracity. If it's stolen from other mythos then it's even more likely to not be factual.

Sorry, yeah, I meant exactly this with my point. It's not real; they stole a lot of it from other stuff that was already floating around the culture.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Perception is a weird thing. Our brains try to make sense of the stimuli coming in all around us and there are times when things don't compute. The religious or otherwise superstitious person immediately jumps to "that was a ghost" [or God, witchcraft, etc] when there is no real evidence other than "I saw/heard/felt something that I have no explanation for"

Oh yeah, it's interesting looking at the conspiracy crowd to see examples of this. For instance, in the old days, the folklore was that demons, evil spirits, witches etc visited us in our sleep. They sat on our chests, or stole our breath, or cast evil spells on us, etc. Today, people think they are being visited by aliens in the middle of the night. Both of these phenomenons can most likely be attributed to sleep paralysis, where your brain and your body are on different levels of sleep and you have the sensation of being awake but paralyzed. It happens to me if I get too much sleep. I usually believe that someone has broken into my house and is in my room, but I can't move to defend myself. It's creepy as fuck, but not supernatural.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Sorry to interrupt the primate discussion, but does anyone know where to find the books of the Bible that were omitted? [I'm kinda sorta looking at you, Stulagu...]
Also, one book that appears in one sect of Christianity, but no other is the Book of Enoch. It's trippy as hell and you can buy it in Barnes and Noble. Talks about creation of demons and angels and it gets very weird.

I never bought the Gospel of Judas because yeah. Maybe I should lol. I got the latter. You can also buy the Gospel of Judas at Barnes and Noble. The Gospel of Mary I haven't seen for sale, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I could of sworn it wasn't complete. There are books ON it, so there is that.

Quote:
..disprove bullshit with bullshit?
Welcome to politics, lmao. Most of the Apocrypha/removed books are actually more or less part of or are very much slanted to another sect now mostly dead called Gnosticism. I was actually talking about it through private message with XrabbitX a few weeks ago. It's very unique...I'm assuming the deciders Stu talked about at the First Council of Nicaea wanted a single book. And one that did not echo fragmented ideals. Though why Mary's would be removed and the story of Jesus as a kid in the Gospel of Thomas and the "murder" on the roof is silly but I see why they removed it. Thomas is a really neat read that is one of the main ones JFod was talking about recently. He got a lot of his facts crossed but he got the jist. The majority are aimed at that other sect; Gnosticism. Mary's I wanna say is the exception. But I'm not entirely sure. All this bullshit is online if you wanna look it up. It's no big deal though so. Also, a Gospel of Judas? Really? Apparently, Jesus told him to betray him. Yeah. Dunno if I want to read it. I honestly feel like since all the older ones I mentioned have been known about previously and the Judas one wasn't (barring conspiracy theories) may prove it's bullshit on top of bullshit. Hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Oh yeah, it's interesting looking at the conspiracy crowd to see examples of this....
See: www.coasttocoastam.com if you are ready to have your mind blown. Or hurt.
Medium Brumski: The only reason we have the 2nd Amendment is because John Adams was afraid of the zombie apocalypse and he wanted to make sure Americans would be prepared, I guess Keith hasn't gotten to that part of the mini-series yet.

Sparrow:...Brings up her point? What point?! Are we naht suckin' ya cahk hahd enough, Sue?!?

Keith: Oh, you...

Last edited by JSZilla; 09-06-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSZilla View Post
See: Home - Coast to Coast AM if you are ready to have your mind blown. Or hurt.

I get enough of it at work. My co-worker is one of them.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #130 (permalink)

Great minds think alike Keith! I proposed we shouldn't have even fought the war. We have two countries now, let's make it official. Here's my blog from OCTOBER 4, 2010.

Last edited by frankrid; 09-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.