Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: It's your birthday. (Congrats.)
Fancy restaurant 92 79.31%
Fast food 24 20.69%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have always found it odd that the religious claim marriage as it is currently practiced. Especially since it was forced on their empire by the Romans, first as a civic requirement so that the registration was to allow better taxation (which was why Joseph and Mary may have been heading to Bethlehem) and secondly to honor their (what the Christians now call Pagan) Gods. The giving of rings, dowries, giving away the bride, bride grooms, maids of honor, and marriage vows are all Ancient Pagan Roman traditions that were forced onto early Christians who fought the imposition they now claim to be solely their own.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

You can totally tell that Lauren comes from Hawaii. I really listened to her accent this time around and it's there, it's totally there...

I had this discussion the other with some friends where the question was asked, 'how would you react if your child came to you and said he or she was gay'.

The group were a little shocked when I said that I would genuinely have no problem at all if either of my children came to me and told me that they were gay - which I guess reveals something of their own prejudices.

I attribute this to having listened to KaTG since show 1 and the procession of guests and discussions they have had on the subject - not the least of which has been Lauren's contribution to that body of discussion. Now, I understand that Lauren is not gay per se, however she and Chemda have really reshaped my own view on identity, gender identity and self identity. The most important thing to me is that my children are happy - happy in their own skin. Happy with who they are. In this day and age, if you haven't got a sense of your own identity and people in your life who will support you in that - nay - walk over hot coals for it - then what the fuck is it all for?

I think I've said this before but I regard Lauren as one of the most luminous beings around. And knowing that she's on the show is always something to look forward to.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 09-13-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Did Mary, the mother of God, ascend into Heaven literally or symbolically [you idiot]?
As usual, you think Christian = Catholic. Most Christians don't think she did either.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

You're a crazy bitch.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

Keith, are you choosing to be disingenuous or are you really that dense?

- Your definition of a "good Christian" is really strange and pulled from your ass. I never claimed to be a good Christian, just a regular one, and I hope never to meet somebody you would describe as such. (Your dad?)
- Christian does not equal Catholic over 50% of the time in the USA.
- Many Christians are very pro-gay-marriage. I have two friends who are ordained Protestant ministers who march in Pride parades. Again, you are stuck on Catholics.
- Missing church on Sunday = hell is mostly a Catholic thing.
- The Hebrew scripture stuff you were spouting applies to Jews. Christ came to fulfill the law for Christians and this stuff is not our law. [Acts 10:9-28]

My friend married his husband in his Episcopal parish church during the small time period that California allowed such things. Here's what Joe (not a Christian) has to say:
"For just a moment, I’m going to borrow a cue from my husband. My husband is big on defining the difference between a “Christian” and a “Christianist.” Sure, the two may look and sound the same, at first. But the difference becomes evident after a little while. The Christian, at his or her core, is far less interested in quoting from the book and more in living his or her life in trying to emulate the actions and beliefs of the historical Jesus. You know – being charitable, being nice, doing the right thing, being respectful, etc., etc. Then there is the Christianist. These are the utterly hypocritical asshats who spend more time quoting (or misquoting) the book and pointing the finger than anything. These are the idiot fuktards who believe that “God hates fags” and that anyone outside of their particular church is going to burn in hell for all eternity. It is ok if he beats his wife or cheats or whatever. But if you are outside of his particular faith, watch out! I have no time or patience for such people."

Stay classy, San Diego!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
You're a crazy bitch.
Three of my cousins, all Baptists ministers, would all denounce you as an idolater if you thought she did.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Where'd you read about Jesus that you're able to emulate his life and his teachings, wacko?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Where'd you read about Jesus that you're able to emulate his life and his teachings, wacko?
It's called the gospels, asshat. And I do a really bad job of it. But I try. Unlike the guy who resigned his membership, I'm not offended, not clutching my pearls, just trying to present a slightly different side.

I even love you and your asshattery.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How come they kept the Old Testament and didn't just scrap it after Jesus came around?

(I actually am genuinely asking.)

Last edited by lizsquiz; 09-14-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

We view it as the story of our elders and the history of God's people searching for salvation. More to it but that's the quick and simple.