Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Magic mushrooms
Done 'em 49 38.58%
Haven't but gonna 16 12.60%
Never have and never gonna 62 48.82%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbid View Post
The 47% of people who don't pay income taxes are: People over the age of 65, Low-Income Families, and poor people who work.

Exactly; this figure is a rightwing talking point that they just can't seem to give up on -- I guess because there are still people out there who buy it. 47% of Americans did not pay a federal income tax in 2011 because they do not earn enough income to be eligible. Most of them paid payroll taxes, and of course they pay other taxes such as sales taxes. 82% of Americans pay either a federal income tax or a payroll tax.

So, this man wants to be president of this country but he's written off half of us as no-good lazy assholes. Fuck him.

Fact-checking Romney's "47 percent" comment - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quote:
In other words, the poor are least likely to pay federal income taxes, but many middle-class families are also exempt. Smaller but significant numbers of the higher-income earners are also exempt: The same data shows that in 2011, 78,000 tax filers with incomes between $211,000 and $533,000 paid no income taxes; 24,000 households with incomes of $533,000 to $2.2 million paid no income taxes, and 3,000 tax filers with incomes above $2.2 million paid no income taxes.
Quote:
Moreover, only 18.1 percent of American households paid neither federal income taxes nor payroll taxes in 2011, says the Tax Policy Center. Of that 18.1 percent, 10.3 percent were elderly and 6.9 percent were non-elderly households earning less than $20,000 year, which include low-income families and students. About one in 20 is non-elderly with income over $20,000.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 09-19-2012 at 07:02 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Buncha funny shit with figures.
What's totally awesome and I'm using sarcasm mind you, is I have explained to some who are right wing how Ryan lied so bad at the RNC even Fox News reported it (I think this was even mentioned by Keith?), there was no apology tour, Obama never apologized to Libya or Egypt, and what you stated.

Then it turns into...I dunno...But he wasn't born here. Followed by he is a communist Muslim terrorist agent (not in those exact words but same meaning), I wasn't aware you could be both. He hates America and won't wear the Presidential pin. Even after I explained he has worn it before. Then it it's but not enough, that's cause he hates the country. I can't even get this logic. These pointless discussions usually end in me bowing out and saying I quit. Or just sigh and walk away. I really have no idea how to follow this shit. Just wow.
Medium Brumski: The only reason we have the 2nd Amendment is because John Adams was afraid of the zombie apocalypse and he wanted to make sure Americans would be prepared, I guess Keith hasn't gotten to that part of the mini-series yet.

Sparrow:...Brings up her point? What point?! Are we naht suckin' ya cahk hahd enough, Sue?!?

Keith: Oh, you...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSZilla View Post
These pointless discussions usually end in me bowing out and saying I quit. Or just sigh and walk away. I really have no idea how to follow this shit. Just wow.
Yeah, the cognitive dissonance can be frustrating. For instance, my friend has siblings on assistance (this program in Wisconsin called Badger Care for low income people). They live rent free in their parent's house and are dirt poor. But they are hardcore Republicans. They voted for Walker, who wants to curtail Badger Care, a service that they actively use. They probably rah-rah'ed Romney's comments about lazy people without knowing that he was talking about them, and they're still going to vote for him. I don't get it.

It is a lot of numbers, but the main one to remember is 82%. 82% of Americans do pay taxes on their income. The rest are old people, poor people, and students.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 09-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Exactly; this figure is a rightwing talking point that they just can't seem to give up on -- I guess because there are still people out there who buy it. 47% of Americans did not pay a federal income tax in 2011 because they do not earn enough income to be eligible. Most of them paid payroll taxes, and of course they pay other taxes such as sales taxes. 82% of Americans pay either a federal income tax or a payroll tax.

So, this man wants to be president of this country but he's written off half of us as no-good lazy assholes. Fuck him.

Fact-checking Romney's "47 percent" comment - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
I don't see why this video is so controversial. Apparently despite not being involved in politics in any way, I still have a better comprehension of the reality of political campaigning than the people getting outraged over this.

Accuracy of the 47% figure aside, you did not get what he's saying at all and just misconstruing it as an attack on your character. He wasn't saying 47% of the people suck. He's stating the fact that since 47% of the people don't pay taxes, but rely on government services, it would be against their self-interest to vote against expanding government services. Thus, he has no hope of winning those votes and needs to concentrate on the middle 5%.

He's selling himself as a viable candidate to a group of potential campaign investors, and so he's presenting facts on why he thinks he has a shot.
“As I point out, I recognize that among those that pay no tax – approximately 47% of Americans – I’m not likely to be highly successful with a message of lowering taxes. That’s not as attractive to those who don’t pay income taxes than it is to those who do.
“And likewise, those who are reliant on government are not as attracted to my message of slimming down the size of government.
“And so I’d then focus on those individuals who I believe are most likely to be able to be pulled into my camp and help me win the 51% or 50.1% that I need to become the next President.

Last edited by DWarrior; 09-19-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I still have a better comprehension of the reality of political campaigning than the people getting outraged over this.
i believe you do

Mittens was in full knee-pad mode with some deep pockets never imagining he'd be clandestinely recorded.

what did he say . . inelegant?

'lil bit
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Accuracy of the 47% figure aside, you did not get what he's saying at all and just misconstruing it as an attack on your character. He wasn't saying 47% of the people suck. He's stating the fact that since 47% of the people don't pay taxes, but rely on government services, it would be against their self-interest to vote against expanding government services.

Oh come on. You know that the "personal responsibility" catchphrase is a dog whistle that is used in lieu of terms like "welfare queen."

Also, many of the "entitlements" that Republicans talk about are services that people have spent their entire working lives paying into. All this talk about the baby boomers retiring is such bullshit. Those same baby boomers were putting money into social security their whole lives. We just raided the funds and spent the surplus. And now we want to say to these same people, "well, there's too many of you now, we can't afford you anymore."
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Every time mushrooms come up from someone trying to promote them it always sounds like when Chemda was selling her car on the show.

"You can really have a really good experience and enjoy a mellow high. Sure you'll be sick to your stomach and once I had a bad trip where I thought my friends were trying to kill me but...."

LOL I'm probably just a pussy when it comes to drugs tho.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

also, to avoid tummy issues with 'shro0ms, put them in a tomato sammich, maybe a lil mayo. makes a difference in my experience

Last edited by dEadERest; 09-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

These graphs from NPR tell you everything you need to know about the 46%

To me, the significance of these statements isn't that he doesn't like those who don't vote for him, nor that individuals are entirely at fault if they're in a poor financial situation (that's been half of his campaign so far). The significance comes from this statement:

Quote:
"These are people who pay no income tax... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
If you're poor, Mitt Romney not only doesn't care about you, but he genuinely believes that the leader of the free world doesn't have to bother with you. If you are poor, you aren't as American as people who are rich - in fact, based on that statement, you aren't American at all, because he as President wouldn't bother to include you in his thought process.

More troubling is the fact that the states with citizens who pay the least in taxes are almost all Republican.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

I saw a great interview last night between Salman Rushdie (remember, he got the fatwah put on his head for writing the Satanic Verses) and Jon Stewart.

Rushdie summed up the protests in the Middle East, sighting that a lot of the anger is because in many of the protesting countries all of the media is either made by the government or it has to be approved by the government. The concept of some guy just making a shitty Youtube video and putting it up online for all to see without any involvement from the US government is mind blowing. They are also getting a lot of their information about the movie from leaders and government officials who are already Anti-American.

We've had burn the Koran day and Draw Mohommed Day that yes, lead to protests, but were not nearly as bad as this. The whole thing is being overblown.

You can see the interview here: Salman Rushdie - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 09/18/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central