Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is this new generation of young adults the worst generation of young adults?
Yes 45 42.86%
No 60 57.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's not a testament to their idiocy though, but rather a testament to my intelligence. (And bravery.)
Oh, yes. I don't want to minimize your excellence.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

we're creating a generation of kids who don't think critically. the myopic emphasis on test scores has created a teaching culture that feeds kids answers without guiding the journey to get there. out in the real world, nobody straight gives you the answer and more matters than numbers. it's a shock to the system. they take information at face value and feel entirely entitled to dismiss other points of view.

keeping our children dumb, divisive, and unable to see through bullshit will keep them easy to control.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

I voted yes cause I don't like their music, how they loiter, and how uppity the girls are getting with their "rights".
Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
I finished 4 years of university, graduated within the top of my class, but was unable to go into teaching simply because the previous generation fucked it up for me. Baby boomers decided that they did not want to retire, and pushed the retirement age back a few more years. Men and women, who are over 60 years old, continue to teach our youth. Not because they are better than the young teachers today, but simply because they do not want to stop working. They have changed the system so that it is impossible to push your way into the system. To find a teaching job, you must know a principle on a personal level, or travel to bum fuck nowhere and teach the Aboriginal communities. It's fucked. And the new generation is not to blame for such a fuck up. There are many more examples of how the elder generations ruined the world for the new ones.
Pensions were pushed out over 401ks. Then the market tanked and they had 40% of what they would have had to retire on. So they had to stay and let it grow. Plus, we continue to live longer and be healthier at older ages. If a 60 year old retires will his money last another 40 years? Likely not. It used to be that most people died within 10 years of retiring. Not true anymore.

So it's many more things than what you're stating.

And Aboriginal communities? Are you moving to Australia?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

as much as i don't "get" hipsters, their music is incredible. the evolution of electronic music into something that feels organic is kind of exciting. animal collective and dan deacon are wonderful examples.

Last edited by Sparrow; 10-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Pensions were pushed out over 401ks. Then the market tanked and they had 40% of what they would have had to retire on. So they had to stay and let it grow. Plus, we continue to live longer and be healthier at older ages. If a 60 year old retires will his money last another 40 years? Likely not. It used to be that most people died within 10 years of retiring. Not true anymore.

So it's many more things than what you're stating.

And Aboriginal communities? Are you moving to Australia?
The kvetch about the teachers is Canadian and we have Aboriginals up here as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamis View Post
The kvetch about the teachers is Canadian
I know that. I've met the kvetch.

Quote:
and we have Aboriginals up here as well.
What are they doing so far from home?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I know that. I've met the kvetch.

What are they doing so far from home?

Pollution obscured the smoke signals?
Horses don't have GPS?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
we continue to live longer and be healthier at older ages. If a 60 year old retires will his money last another 40 years? Likely not. It used to be that most people died within 10 years of retiring. Not true anymore.
You really think that it's right that we have 60+ year olds that are teaching our youth? These are the people that grew up around the time when Big Bang was just coined. They grew up believing that there are gender proper professions for women and men. And a lot of them grew up with Creationism taught in their schools. I don't mean to say that there is nothing to be learned from our elders, but I am saying that they should not be teaching the kids because with all due respect, they do not possess the same knowledge and innovation and drive that the younger teachers would.

And of course I didn't outline all of the ways that baby boomers negatively affected our future. We'd be here all fucking day.

And I'm sure you Americans are still calling Aboriginals, Indians.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
And I'm sure you Americans are still calling Aboriginals, Indians.
Native Americans.

Unfortunately, creationism is making a big comeback in American schools right now, so I'm not sure the younger teachers will even be able to do much about that.

I don't really see the point in broad sweeping statements on either side when it comes to age, though. Not all young people are lazy and not all old people are useless. Can we agree on that?