Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is this new generation of young adults the worst generation of young adults?
Yes 45 42.86%
No 60 57.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #51 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

To be clear, I was never offended.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #52 (permalink)

I think it is hard for every generation to truly understand what it was like to grow up in a different time period. Even a difference of 10-15 years can mean completely different technology, security, economy. I often think about my cousins that were born after 9/11 and how they never experienced "the change" in public safety.

Last night I was at a rehearsal for an opera and a teenage boy in the cast made a comment to me about how I probably don't "get" video games because it's a "generational thing". ..... I'm 26, video games were invented long before I was born and I grew up in a house where I was constantly tripping over boxes, cords and controllers. But I guess this 17 year old assumed that because I am 9 years older than him, I must not understand.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Well you are right to feel frustrated SnD, everyone entering the workforce feels that frustration of not being taken seriously because a lack of experience, feeling frustrated that there are older workers "taking up jobs" . My man who is 40 laments this daily.."Get the old crusties out of the god damn high paying jobs and make room for the younger generation" . I can see your side of it, I lived it myself. I too come from a generation that is held down by the workplace swamping of the baby boomer generation. I also work in a field where image ie age can play a roll in whether you are relevant or not so the subject touches a nerve for me too.

But on the teachers having it easier 20 years go front...

In Quebec, 20 years ago , I don't believe easier then today to get a job teaching. My sister in law had to work contractually for 10 years before getting tenure and becoming fully unionized. That means for 10 years she had to fight every year in a pool of teachers , new graduates and other people like her, for the scraps...maternity leaves, sabbaticals, leaves of absence. She had to put her life on hold, wait for her next baby, wait to get married, because she didn't have a steady job...she had to do that from 1994-2004, can you believe that??? But now, she has a life threatening genetic disease and has been off work for 18 months but her teaching job is protected. She is getting 80% of her full salary. Her 1000$ a month drugs are covered under her medical benefits. She fought for 10 years for the right to teach and join that precious tenure union and man she is lucky to have that spot now. She misses teaching greatly. She is 44 but she's one of those teachers...those inspirational teachers kids remember because she changed their life. She LOVES her job, is constantly upgrading her skills, changing her lesson plans, looking up new teaching methods. She was the first teacher to use the smart boards, she was one of the only teachers to work with the shadows and get intellectually challenged kids in her class to socialize them. I know she is one of those teachers that will only get better with age.

Hang in there, it is a crazy competitive field but it is worth it once you get in there. The benefits and salary are worth the fight.

Last edited by campy; 10-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #54 (permalink)

Campy, darling, I guess we see the world slightly differently. You know an amazing older teacher, I know an amazing younger teacher. This discussion can go on forever.

I like you. I hope you like me. For the sake of our love for each other, let's agree to disagree.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
I like you. I hope you like me. For the sake of our love for each other, let's agree to disagree.
A to D, gotta DO it!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #56 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

One of the best episodes ever.

Thanks for going 2 1/2 hours you magnificents.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #57 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
Campy, darling, I guess we see the world slightly differently. You know an amazing older teacher, I know an amazing younger teacher. This discussion can go on forever.

Of course!! I think we do see eye to eye...bottom line we both respect the art of the teaching profession. Young and old, makes no difference, if you are a talented teacher, you are a talented teacher.

Now, go out there and get em!!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Well you are right to feel frustrated SnD, everyone entering the workforce feels that frustration of not being taken seriously because a lack of experience, feeling frustrated that there are older workers "taking up jobs" . My man who is 40 laments this daily.."Get the old crusties out of the god damn high paying jobs and make room for the younger generation" . I can see your side of it, I lived it myself. I too come from a generation that is held down by the workplace swamping of the baby boomer generation. I also work in a field where image ie age can play a roll in whether you are relevant or not so the subject touches a nerve for me too.

<snipped>

Hang in there, it is a crazy competitive field but it is worth it once you get in there. The benefits and salary are worth the fight.
Interesting points etc however, the problem I have with some of the teachers is as follows. What some are doing is retiring and getting full pension and then getting on the call list for substitute jobs and because of union rules on seniority they get first crack and take the longer term sub jobs. Ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamis View Post
Interesting points etc however, the problem I have with some of the teachers is as follows. What some are doing is retiring and getting full pension and then getting on the call list for substitute jobs and because of union rules on seniority they get first crack and take the longer term sub jobs. Ridiculous.
Sounds like they're just taking advantage of the system in place.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.
But you can't blame them. It's not their fault that the option is available.