Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The Rolling Stones
Yay 57 53.77%
Nay 49 46.23%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

You can scrutinize and dissect anything if you want to. We did it with the song, they did it with Ant Man. People just like the things they like and you can see the strength or weakness in anything. I loved Weird Al in middle school. Marilyn Manson and the Offspring in high-school, and the Decemberists and Elliot Smith in college. I had to defend them all the time to people that hated me. Now none of them do anything for me. And I couldn't even tell you why I let go of those things but held on to comic books and wresting.

The green thing was a little wash-cloth that was just there. I'm very fidgety
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikeLawrence View Post
You can scrutinize and dissect anything if you want to. We did it with the song, they did it with Ant Man. People just like the things they like and you can see the strength or weakness in anything. I loved Weird Al in middle school. Marilyn Manson and the Offspring in high-school, and the Decemberists and Elliot Smith in college. I had to defend them all the time to people that hated me. Now none of them do anything for me. And I couldn't even tell you why I let go of those things but held on to comic books and wresting.

The green thing was a little wash-cloth that was just there. I'm very fidgety
Word, I hated Blink-182 in high school. I had no reason. I would've probably said they're gay, but I love 'em now. I can't even defend that. Elliot Smith still does it for me, but Decemberists never did, even with my Kill Rock Stars bias (even Har Mar Superstar, but post-ironically). Haha, and it was funny when y'all were discussing how cool you are on talk shows, but then you were all fidgety with the green thing. Plastic Man and Isaiah Bradley are my favorite super people. They've both got the same fucked up kind of origin story as Ant Man.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Mick's one of the most entertaining front men in history but he's never been the greatest lyricist and the words are easily the weakest aspect of the song. I always hate when songwriters or "poets" do that ham-fisted structural horseshit of re-arranging grammar to force a rhyme.

Like "Through the night your face I see ..." as a bastardized mutation of "Through the night I see your face ..."

That's how 13 year-olds write. It's amateur and embarrassing even when amateurs do it. I don't need to hear it all over the riff magnificence of Keef and Ronnie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Annie comes off as just cranky when she talks about it and Mike isn't too far behind.
I thought Mike was nothing but gold right from the kick off but Annie did come off as a little intimidated and uncomfortable with herself and about three steps behind Mike mentally for about the first half hour. But something awoke in her during the Ant Man segment and suddenly she was flinging lightning fast killer one-liners left, right and centre. I fell in love with her all over again.

The second half of the show was nothing short of stupendous. The first half was only great. Mike's instant-roast superpowered mind is extraordinary to behold and one of the most fun things he brings to KATG has always been that he's maybe the one guest who's better at giving Keith shit than Keith is at giving other people shit.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Because he has a soul as black as night.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikeLawrence View Post
You can scrutinize and dissect anything if you want to. We did it with the song, they did it with Ant Man.
Mike - what if they did Scott Lang, not Pym? Would you still be excited by Ant Man?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That's just rude to suggest. #assuming
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

IMHO Annie just joined a list that includes Marina Franklin and Tig Notaro, not a fan of her on this show.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I know in my heart that Tig Notaro is funny, but she was really, really subpar last time she was on KatG. She seemed defensive and totally un-willing to be a part of the show. I just heard on NPR that she had cancer, so much so, that she just had a double masectomy. I wonder if that had something to do with it? She needs to come back on sometime. Also, it's pretty hard to fuck with The Stones. I can't stand Mick and Keith shirtless at their age, but they rock so hard and are so badass...I guess they're allowed? The video looked like something Ralph Steadman, (guy who illustrated some of Hunter S. Thompson's material) may have done.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I love Mike. That dude is like a nerd super hero who's power is disdain. Annie was great too. Her calls backs to Doom and Gloom were perfect. I thought Chemda was having a great time watching the guests talk about how ridiculous that song was as Keith seemed to doubt his own taste for the first time I've ever heard on the show.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Just trying to give these doom and groomers a good feeling. I loved that song from beat one, and I EXPECTED to hate it.