Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico be a U.S. state?
Yes 90 66.67%
No 45 33.33%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
Yup, that's what I sensed. Rich was trying to make sense, but everyone kept making fun of him, and then blamed him for stumbling through his arguments. A lot of people are upset at Rich and Bonnie and get upset at a lot of guests for being on the show and "running a bit" or something, essentially calling the guests out for doing their thing. What if this is how these people are in real life? What if their "thing" is just who they are? It seems disrespectful and arrogant to get pissed at somebody for being themselves.
Talking about bullshit arguments - are you trying to tell me that I am not allowed to find people annoying?
Of course everybody is allowed to do their "thing" but if I don't like it I can say so and I think it would help Keith and Chemda much more if we let them know what guests we love or hate instead of just quietly stop listening.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I didn't say all black people. All I'm saying is that there are people out there, black and white, who vote one way or the other for arbitrary reasons, and making that point is not bullshit.
It's telling that you singled out black people in your first highlighted sentence and you went onto generalize about them voting based on some sort of notion about having an obligation to a candidate. Can you give specific examples? Did you speak to these black people yourself?

My fuck you stands.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Black people voting for Obama because he's black is definitely a thing.

Then it's a thing for those extra 4% of them that voted for Obama but didn't vote for Gore. It's certainly not "racist" as people like Limbaugh and Hannity keep trying to peddle it. And it's certainly not even "racial" if the same people who voted for Obama also voted for the white Democrat in the last several elections.

And again, the majority of white men voted for Romney. Did they vote for him because of their race? Why is something only "racial" when people of color do it?

As an aside, to me the best thing to come out of this election is the news that Gen Y yet again came out in full force to vote just like they did in 2008. They are far more politically engaged than Gen X ever was, and candidates can no longer ignore the youth vote. They are why gay marriage passed by the popular vote in two states, which is an enormous accomplishment.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Talking about bullshit arguments - are you trying to tell me that I am not allowed to find people annoying?
Of course everybody is allowed to do their "thing" but if I don't like it I can say so and I think it would help Keith and Chemda much more if we let them know what guests we love or hate instead of just quietly stop listening.
It's fine to find them annoying, but, for example, when Rufio says they're annoying because they seem to get on and do their "schtick" (I'm not calling Rufio out. That's just the most immediate example.) that seems to imply that they're not being themselves and that the reason they are annoying is because they are being disingenuous. I didn't say it's wrong for people to find them annoying on either level. It's just inconsiderate to assume someone is being inauthentic when you don't know them.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I actually believe the whole "voting for Obama cause he's black" was about white people who think they will appear racist if they don't vote for him like when Chemda told the story about Lauren being called racist because she didn't think Obama was that great
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredv1214 View Post
I actually believe the whole "voting for Obama cause he's black" was about white people who think they will appear racist if they don't vote for him like when Chemda told the story about Lauren being called racist because she didn't think Obama was that great
Well he actually said "vote for their own" and used Jewish people as an example so I'm not sure how that's about white people.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
Well he actually said "vote for their own" and used Jewish people as an example so I'm not sure how that's about white people.
Oh I was talking more about what Chemda was saying. Sorry for the confusion. As far as what Rich said I do believe that voting for your own does happen but it's not voting for your race as much as just blindly voting whichever party you're registered with
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Black people voting for Obama because he's black is definitely a thing. You guys are right that it's not all black people, and it's not a majority, but a lot of african-americans are voting on that basis. I know plenty of uninformed people who don't give two shits about politics but are voting for Obama because he's black, and they admit that up front. It's black people and white people who are doing it. Rich said that he's encountered people who are voting on this premise, and I know for sure that I have.
Using the theory of relativity is it's not all, not a majority ... then how is it "a lot"? A lot compared to what exactly? The percentage went from 90 to 94%. That's a 4% jump. 4% is a lot now? And that's if you assume every single one of that 4% was only motivated because the president is black. It's condescending at best. Very dismissive.

I also happen to know a lot of black people. Most of them seemed to be motivated to wait in 3 hour lines to vote because they thought one dude was a better candidate than the other. Going by this race theory Jesse Jackson or Herman Cain should be getting the black vote too because "they black."

But I know what you mean. It's definitely a "thing" I just don't find it to be enough of a figure to make broad sweeping statements in the vein of "this is why black people vote for Obama".
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
It's telling that you singled out black people in your first highlighted sentence and you went onto generalize about them voting based on some sort of notion about having an obligation to a candidate. Can you give specific examples? Did you speak to these black people yourself?

My fuck you stands.
I singled out black people, because that's who we're talking about. I know plenty of black people who feel an obligation to vote for Obama, and I know many black people who feel an obligation to vote Democratic. I know people in my own family who vote this way, and I know that, before I knew anything about politics, I had the idea that to be black meant the Democrats had my best interests in mind. On a daily basis I engage in conversations with people who automatically assume I support the Democratic party.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I singled out black people, because that's who we're talking about. I know plenty of black people who feel an obligation to vote for Obama, and I know many black people who feel an obligation to vote Democratic. I know people in my own family who vote this way, and I know that, before I knew anything about politics, I had the idea that to be black meant the Democrats had my best interests in mind. On a daily basis I engage in conversations with people who automatically assume I support the Democratic party.
But isn't that also about which party actually has policies and stances that cater to these demographics? You could say the same of gay people, Latinos and women right? Just saying it's not really about race as most people just vote for whomever has pandered to them.