Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico be a U.S. state?
Yes 90 66.67%
No 45 33.33%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimusprime View Post
But I know what you mean. It's definitely a "thing" I just don't find it to be enough of a figure to make broad sweeping statements in the vein of "this is why black people vote for Obama".
That's all I'm saying, and I brought up the "black people voting democratic" thing to account for your "other 4%" argument. It's a thing that some black people are voting for Obama because he's black, and it's also a thing that a lot of black people vote Democratic just because they feel that's the way they're supposed to vote. I don't know what Rich's point was, but my point is that there is ignorance on every level, and that a minority of black people voting this way is an example. Black people voting this way doesn't solely account for a large enough figure, but when it is considered along with all the other ignorance out there, then it becomes a major factor.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
That's all I'm saying, and I brought up the "black people voting democratic" thing to account for your "other 4%" argument. It's a thing that some black people are voting for Obama because he's black, and it's also a thing that a lot of black people vote Democratic just because they feel that's the way they're supposed to vote. I don't know what Rich's point was, but my point is that there is ignorance on every level, and that a minority of black people voting this way is an example. Black people voting this way doesn't solely account for a large enough figure, but when it is considered along with all the other ignorance out there, then it becomes a major factor.
Yeah we just disagree on the "supposed to" part. I think it's very simple. People vote for whoever panders to them and Republicans pretty much don't pander to black people in large part. Just this year Herman Cain called black people who vote democratic to be sheep and "trapped on the plantation" or some shit. C'mon man... that's not courting anyone's vote.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
But isn't that also about which party actually has policies and stances that cater to these demographics? You could say the same of gay people, Latinos and women right? Just saying it's not really about race as most people just vote for whomever has pandered to them.
Exactly. I'm only talking about black people, because that's where the discussion originated. Bill Clinton wasn't "the first black President" because of the color of his skin. He was called that because his policies favored minorities, but I couldn't tell you all the ways in which he helped african-americans. I grew up knowing he was "the first black President" and that he did a lot of good shit for black people and that he was Democratic. But I couldn't tell you one specific fact or detail about his Presidency's actions in favor of black people, and I've found that to be the case with a lot of people. Maybe it's just young people, y'all. I'm 24, fresh out of college, and I had to put up with a lot of dummies. But I could tell you that a lot of the grown-ups I used to go to church with were the same way, and a lot of people in my family, and a lot of people I work with are also.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #34 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Yeah we just disagree on the "supposed to" part. I think it's very simple. People vote for whoever panders to them and Republicans pretty much don't pander to black people in large part. Just this year Herman Cain called black people who vote democratic to be sheep and "trapped on the plantation" or some shit. C'mon man... that's not courting anyone's vote.
I think there is a portion of people, both black and white, who feel like they are supposed to vote for Obama because he is black. I also feel that some people believed that having a black president would automatically mean that things would change drastically which is absurd. The president doesn't have as much power as people believe and it wouldn't matter if Obama was black he would've done the same things.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredv1214 View Post
I think there is a portion of people, both black and white, who feel like they are supposed to vote for Obama because he is black. I also feel that some people believed that having a black president would automatically mean that things would change drastically which is absurd. The president doesn't have as much power as people believe and it wouldn't matter if Obama was black he would've done the same things.
I feel you man.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Yup, that's what I sensed. Rich was trying to make sense, but everyone kept making fun of him, and then blamed him for stumbling through his arguments. A lot of people are upset at Rich and Bonnie and get upset at a lot of guests for being on the show and "running a bit" or something, essentially calling the guests out for doing their thing. What if this is how these people are in real life? What if their "thing" is just who they are? It seems disrespectful and arrogant to get pissed at somebody for being themselves.
Quote:
It's fine to find them annoying, but, for example, when Rufio says they're annoying because they seem to get on and do their "schtick" (I'm not calling Rufio out. That's just the most immediate example.) that seems to imply that they're not being themselves and that the reason they are annoying is because they are being disingenuous. I didn't say it's wrong for people to find them annoying on either level. It's just inconsiderate to assume someone is being inauthentic when you don't know them.
I think you need to reread your own text every once in a while - this is not at all what you wrote.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
I think you need to reread your own text every once in a while - this is not at all what you wrote.
That's why I clarified myself.

EDIT: You're right, and that's why I clarified myself.

Last edited by Earl Dukes; 11-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #38 (permalink)

I want to clarify that I enjoyed this show a great deal and still found Rich very entertaining even if I didn't agree with him on things -- and I love Bonnie's sass.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
That's why I clarified myself.

EDIT: You're right, and that's why I clarified myself.
You are one third of the way to a full Spooky apology - come on make me swoon ! Pretty Please?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Who the fuck is Rick Voss?