Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1692: The Meat of It (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1692-meat-17430/)

littlp 11-28-2012 07:37 PM

Loved the guest, hope to hear him on the show again. As for family gatherings, wile my dad was a big jerk growing up, he paid for both my undergrad and grad degrees. We hosted Thanksgiving this year as a very small showing of our thanks and he has actually changed since I moved out 6 years ago. Even if he hadn't I'd still want to see my mom. It really is masochistic sometimes going to these family functions. And I'm sure that I'm obligated to go to these functions as often as possible which really is only a few times a year. I consider myself lucky that usually the most drama that happens is that someone farts at the table or one of the dogs gets a turkey leg.

Also, Chemda's dinner looked wonderful.

Mark Sandiego 11-29-2012 03:28 PM

I can relate to Lauren's experience coming to NYC and getting ripped off by a gypsy cab. I came to NYC for my first time for the April 15th show a couple years ago and the exact same thing happened to me. There was only one taxi driver around when I got into Laguardia. I eventually consented to go with him in his black gypsy cab into Manhattan. He was a nice enough guy but when he dropped me off by Central Park he told me it would be $200. I didn't know how much cabs were in NYC but that seemed insane. I might of just ran right there but I had my bags. I told him I didn't have it or something. He quickly dropped the price to $100 or maybe $110 and I just consented to get rid of this guy. The ride the other direction at the end of my trip was only about $20. Anyway, the lesson here for those going to see KATG in NYC is to call a Yellow Cab and wait. There is a reason these shady cab guys happen to be hanging around at the airport when nobody else is.

Ryan_1523 11-29-2012 04:26 PM

I can relate to Gary in the sense that I only saw my dad on Sundays for a few hours every week as well, and he was pretty consistent with coming every week til I was like 11 when he moved on from me and my other 2 brothers to his girlfriend's kids.

There was this one time in particular though when my neighbor's dad asked me who I liked more, my mom or my dad (thinking back I wonder wtf kinda question is that to ask a child?), and I always felt guilty because I told him my dad, and my mom was by no means the greatest parent in the world (she left us when I was 14), but she was there most of the time up til that point when my dad could barely be there a whole day a week.

On a not quite related note, besides using a belt, my mom also used to wash our mouths out with soap and I still have an aversion to Ivory brand soap today because of it, I'm not sure I heard it mentioned anywhere so I'm curious, was that a thing that happened to anyone else?

BrotherWayne 11-29-2012 05:38 PM

Keith you freakin nailed it with that 1988 joke. Well done.

Earl Dukes 11-29-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_1523 (Post 738522)
On a not quite related note, besides using a belt, my mom also used to wash our mouths out with soap and I still have an aversion to Ivory brand soap today because of it, I'm not sure I heard it mentioned anywhere so I'm curious, was that a thing that happened to anyone else?

Not me, but I had a friend in middle school whose mom made him wash out his own mouth.

Keith 11-29-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sandiego (Post 738519)
There was only one taxi driver around when I got into Laguardia... Anyway, the lesson here for those going to see KATG in NYC is to call a Yellow Cab and wait. There is a reason these shady cab guys happen to be hanging around at the airport when nobody else is.

For the future, you didn't see the yellow cab stand. A legit ride is always at the airport.

ssgtballard 11-29-2012 06:58 PM

I love have the family over for thanksgiving, we had 24 people and I cooked up a turducken. The holiday was amazing. We will go to my moms house on christmas for breakfast and my aunts for dinner. Easter, new years and memorial day are with the wifes family. I avoid my fathers side of the family on the holiday but my cousins and I usually get together before or after the holiday.

stulagu 12-07-2012 11:58 AM

my husband is 6'6" and 180lbs. He is pretty good at being aware of where his head is and doesn't hit it too often...but once and a while he'll just be knocked back by a beam and I feel so bad. In Japan, he was walking in a constant stoop, though he could rest his chin on top of the hand rail in the subway, so that was entertaining.

I think it is hard for people to fathom being that height and also the aches and pains that come with it. Back pain, joint pain, John has stretch marks up his back like the rings on a tree from when he grew super fast in high school. My kids are already getting pains in their legs from growing...there are definitely extra health issues to consider when you are that height.

And then I'm a red head, which has its own set of medical concerns...so we are just one big science experiment of a family :D

iheartnihilism 12-13-2012 01:18 PM

TL;DR

Fantastic guest. Loved him.

On presents:
I gave my boyfriend 30,000 Xbox points for his 30th birthday this year cause he's crazy into Xbox. All his friends were impressed. (I also gave him a bunch of other tiny presents like jelly beans he likes, coasters, etc, stupid shit.) for my birthday he got me a framed art print. His present meant more to me cause he really "got me" while I felt like I just took the easy route and threw money at him. It works really well though because he really loves material shit and I couldnt care less about objects.

On holidays & families:
My ex and I pulled an adult version of the high school sleepover scam one year ("Sorry mom, I'm going to her family's for Xmas." "sorry mom, we're going to his parents' place for Xmas.") and we just stayed home. I cooked for the two of us and we got drunk. It was good.

This year, I planned on going to visit a friend who'd been deported to Ecuador so I figured 2 birds 1 stone, I booked it around *the thanksgiving holiday. This Christmas the boyfriend and i are doing double duty between our parents. At this point it's not a big deal because I make sure to leave within 3 hours so my mom doesn't have time to go from euphoria that her baby's here to making me feel like garbage for my life choices. And now that my sister and I are older I feel like I can talk to her like a human being. I make her laugh a hell of a lot and I feel like there's no judgement on either side.

So for the record I have lied plenty of times to not go to holiday family shit and I have never felt bad about it. I don't mind doing it now cause everyone's mellowed out and there's no slit wrists anymore. (also my mom is 72 and frail as fuck so..y'know.)

I hosted Xmas dinner two years ago and while I went broke and was stressed out for two days prepping, it was worth it cause xmas is my favorite holiday and I'm a bit of a people pleaser. It was a 4 course meal! From scratch!*

On meat that makes you realize it was really an animal:
Speaking of food, I've eaten cow brains before (delicious and fatty) and would love to eat a human being. We're all just meat.*

Keith 02-25-2015 01:08 PM

Another fun re-listen. Good people.