Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkayne
As for hosting the shows, plenty of hosts will offer better service for a little more money. The key is asking for guaranteed service levels. DJ Quad's offer might make sense if he has the pipes and systems that can handle it.

And, even Podshow has struggled with keeping its servers up and running.
Yeah I don't know why there are so many problems, but I've been running the hosting thang since 1999, so I like to think I kinda know what I'm doing.

I think most of the problems are just from overselling and not having the infrastructure to grow properly (hardware, software, good staff, support, etc). Libsyn seems like a very cool service and technically what they've built is pretty amazing, but problem after problem is the best way to get a bad reputation.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
Name me One Buisness AC has done? Anything, something Bueller? Not a winner in my book, no reason to go with him.
From Wiki:
Curry left MTV in 1994 and founded OnRamp, Inc., a Web design and hosting company. He eventually grew the company to 40 employees and sold it to THINK New Ideas, Inc., another company that he co-founded. He became Chief Technology Officer of THINK. In 1996, as the Internet was undergoing its legendary "bubble," the company made an initial public offering on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol THNK. It subsequently grew to employ over 400 people and have offices in seven countries, and was absorbed into Answerthink, Inc. in a later merger.
Curry also runs Boku Communications.

Not that I think Curry is a business genius, rather he's savvy enough to utilize his contacts in the media and drive them forward. Many VJs faded into static, while Curry caught on the Internet bandwagon early on (he owned the URL MTV.COM when no one thought it was worth anything) and went on to create OnRamp, one of the first Internet media companies. He deservs serious props for all of that, semi-retiring at an age when most of us are still working our way up or out.

Ron Bloom, his right hand man, probably acts as his business adviser. There's a great synergy between the two and it's paid off for them in the millions they have made over the years. Plus Adam had great hair.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad
They buy bandwidth and servers in bulk so I'm sure they get killer deals. The problem is that they're overselling the hell out of what they can support, hence all the problems.

Has demand for bandwidth increased significantly since the video ipod was released?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Savvy and slimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
From Wiki:
Curry left MTV in 1994 and founded OnRamp, Inc., a Web design and hosting company. He eventually grew the company to 40 employees and sold it to THINK New Ideas, Inc., another company that he co-founded. He became Chief Technology Officer of THINK. In 1996, as the Internet was undergoing its legendary "bubble," the company made an initial public offering on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol THNK. It subsequently grew to employ over 400 people and have offices in seven countries, and was absorbed into Answerthink, Inc. in a later merger.
Curry also runs Boku Communications.

Not that I think Curry is a business genius, rather he's savvy enough to utilize his contacts in the media and drive them forward. Many VJs faded into static, while Curry caught on the Internet bandwagon early on (he owned the URL MTV.COM when no one thought it was worth anything) and went on to create OnRamp, one of the first Internet media companies. He deservs serious props for all of that, semi-retiring at an age when most of us are still working our way up or out.

Ron Bloom, his right hand man, probably acts as his business adviser. There's a great synergy between the two and it's paid off for them in the millions they have made over the years. Plus Adam had great hair.
Yep, he's done well by himself. He's best at the public persona piece. He screwed Dave Winer out of a business deal with Podshow, then goes on to make sure publicly giving Winer props for his piece in getting podcasting going. That way he looks like such a generous guy. I don't think Winer got a penny of the 8 mil that Podshow brought in, but Winer made RSS happen.

Bloom is full of it. Typical business guy. Bloom and Curry want to be the people to "make" podcasters. So everyone fawns all over them, leaving them to dole out crackers, making folks like DnD feel like they have a future.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkayne
Typical business guy. Bloom and Curry want to be the people to "make" podcasters. So everyone fawns all over them, leaving them to dole out crackers, making folks like DnD feel like they have a future.
That's business. Its too early in the game to see how any of this will pan out.

I'm not at all following what's going on in the world of podcasting but from what I gather in the entertainment business, there will always be movers and shakers. Bloom and Curry happen to be it as far as the corporate world is concerned. Curry's worked hard at getting his name out there and promoting the medium itself.

If we keep the current model a reliable listener ratings system with demographics has to evolve in order to draw in sponsorship. A clearing house(s) will emerge to facilitate the unions between sponsors and podcastors. If, on the other hand, Audible and iTunes (quickly followed by Microsoft and Google) become central distribution channels then podcasters may have to adopt the terms that they lay out. Is Curry building his own distribution network? Is he looking to establish a clearing house? If either are true then he's thinking far ahead. Independent podcasters may forever exist (unless some legislation rules otherwise for some arcane and asinine reason [tied to greed, of course]) but someone will draw a line between the amateurs who don't get paid and the professionals who do. The money will always follow the talent, but the talent will have to jump the fence in order to get the money.

How did Curry screw Dave Winer out of a business deal with Podshow? I know nothing of this but am intersted. All I recall hearing (and it was through a DSC a few months ago) was that Winer felt that he wasn't getting sufficient props from Curry and that Curry stated that he doesn't control what the media prints.

Winer may have made RSS happen, but without patenting the idea (a concept I find ridiculous) anyone can step up and exploit it.

WTF am I writing?!? Isn't this a comedy board?!? Sorry Keith!!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
How did Curry screw Dave Winer out of a business deal with Podshow? I know nothing of this but am intersted. All I recall hearing (and it was through a DSC a few months ago) was that Winer felt that he wasn't getting sufficient props from Curry and that Curry stated that he doesn't control what the media prints.Winer may have made RSS happen, but without patenting the idea (a concept I find ridiculous) anyone can step up and exploit it.
Weiner and Curry had a gentalmans agreement, to include each other in everything. Curry made a deal and Left Weiner out of it. To curry defense, Weiner did not want to commercialize the podcasting industry. (he is rich and doesn't have to work) (Curry is rich from selling a buisness no one know what it did) So both said that one guy was wrong. Curry and Wienr have made up, (Sort of) but Curry did admit he was wrong.