Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Show Talk (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   1752: That Metal Show (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f5/1752-metal-show-17644/)

Cretaceous Bob 03-28-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseagirl19 (Post 743386)
Well, not to quibble, but King Diamond is an avowed member of the Church of Satan. Some folks call it LaVeyan Satanism, those people are, I suppose, trying to be nice. But we can just call it Satanism.

"That Satanism stuff" in the case of Kind Diamond is pretty close to how you describe it, but slightly more nuanced. Satanist don't believe in an actual devil with horns and a tail either. Only Christians believe that, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

King Diamond did it for show. It's very clear. I seem to recall him distancing himself from Satanism in an interview somewhere, but that's kind of immaterial. He exploited Satanism for commercial purposes, even if he doesn't admit it and even if he is a member of LaVey's church.

I considered explaining that almost all metal Satanism is either purely a symbol of an anti-Christian message or LaVey Satanism, but it doesn't really matter to that dopey dumbdumb so I said fuck it.

I exclusively refer to LaVey Satanism as LaVey Satanism because, as you point out, Satan is an invention of Christians, and so I consider true, real Satanism to be theistic Satanism. The LaVey stuff is just co-opting a term to be sensational; it has little to do with Christianity or Satan.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseagirl19 (Post 743386)
Metal's co-opting of Satanism and satanic imagery is understandable because it's fucking awesome. But really, most Metal- especially the kind that Keith listens to, isn't borrowing from Satanism or the Occult in any way. Norwegian Black Metal certainly is. Poison, not so much.

That deluded Christian fellow has nothing to worry about, really. He doesn't want Satan and Satan doesn't want him. Neither does Metal unless we're talking about Stryper. And let's not do that.

I was explaining why Satanism is so much more prevalent in metal than any other musical genre. I'd estimate only 20% of metal involves Satanism.

Enunciated Piffle 03-28-2013 12:31 PM

Satanism to me sounds like you put yourself first and foremost in every situation of life.

I'm not saying it is good or bad. I just like to be more covert in my narcissism.

Also, Josh Latta made a super-sexy Satanic avatar of his Mrs. Did God want me to be aroused every time I see it? Of course He did. I am as he made me.

These are biblical boners, people.

Cretaceous Bob 03-28-2013 12:49 PM

LaVey Satanism actually starts out with some really good life stuff but then devolves into "magick" or what the hell ever that makes me check out. Got no problem with people being into that; kind of like it, actually. But ain't for me.

It's not narcissism. More that Christianity has taught us to be servile, so a religion of strength of the individual seems narcissistic.

chelseagirl19 03-28-2013 01:07 PM

Well now we're quibbling goddammit.

Junkenstein, please cite your sources for saying he's rejected the Church of Satan. As far as any form of belief being basically bullshit... well no fucking one any fucking where has no beliefs. King Diamond has said that he's given up on believing anything religious. Which is, in no way, in contradiction with being a member of the CoS. Church of Satan members are atheists, first and foremost.

Which brings me to Cretaceous Bob. I respectfully disagree with your characterization of "true, real Satanism" being theistic. 'True' and 'real' have very specific meanings, and Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan are real and true in that they exist and don't sell lies. That is the domain of Christians. -

Words change meaning through their usage. Satan is a symbol for members of the Church of Satan, based of course on the idea of the biblical Satan, but in no way do they mean it in any corporeal sense. Satan is not the Church of Satan's mascot the way that poor nailed-up bastard Jesus is for Christians. CoS members do not believe in Satan.

"He exploited Satanism for commercial purposes, even if he doesn't admit it and even if he is a member of LaVey's church." Nothing is more Satanic than this.
"The LaVey stuff" as you call it, most certainly chose Satan for its sensational and adversarial connotations, and so what? Satanism is not just 'let's be everything that Christians aren't cuz fuck them." It's a rather sophisticated philosophical position. It should go without saying that it has nothing to do with animal sacrifice and nothing to do with ritual abuse, in case the 90s satanic panic propaganda worked too well on you (and here, I don't mean you, Bob, I mean you as in anyone else reading this. I have a feeling Bob knows all this already.) Satanism is probably not what you think it is, and that's fine. It's not a religion in the traditional sense, and it certainly has nothing to do with the Devil, save in symbolism.

sklXbns 03-28-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSEIII (Post 743333)
...I'm generally leery of metal bands because some are involved in satanism.

I'm leery of bands who aren't involved in Satanism. (With a capital S. Show some respect.)

For those who want to be closer to the Dark One, listen to Ghost / Ghost BC as they are now named. (They had to add the BC because of another band named Ghost.) There's the heaviness of thrash but slowed down and with a thick slathering of '60s and '70s fuzzy rock / early heavy metal. Melodic and 100% pure evil.

Cretaceous Bob 03-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseagirl19 (Post 743391)
Which brings me to Cretaceous Bob. I respectfully disagree with your characterization of "true, real Satanism" being theistic. 'True' and 'real' have very specific meanings, and Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan are real and true in that they exist and don't sell lies. That is the domain of Christians. -

Words change meaning through their usage. Satan is a symbol for members of the Church of Satan, based of course on the idea of the biblical Satan, but in no way do they mean it in any corporeal sense. Satan is not the Church of Satan's mascot the way that poor nailed-up bastard Jesus is for Christians. CoS members do not believe in Satan.

Right, this is all why personally I reserve the term Satanism for theistic Satanism. I guess part of what I mean by that is "real, true" Satanism is the bound counterpoint to God and Jesus in Christianity; that kind of theistic Satanism is literally a part of Christianity's mythology and doesn't exist without it.

By calling it "LaVey Satanism", I am indicating that it is an independent system of beliefs that references an external source. That's how it goes in my head, anyway.

But yes, this is really splitting hairs.
Quote:

"He exploited Satanism for commercial purposes, even if he doesn't admit it and even if he is a member of LaVey's church." Nothing is more Satanic than this.

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that King Diamond involved Satanism in his music for reasons other that his deep devotion to a malevolent deity. I'm not saying that's at odds with LaVey Satanism at all, just saying that's what he's done.
Quote:

"The LaVey stuff" as you call it, most certainly chose Satan for its sensational and adversarial connotations, and so what? Satanism is not just 'let's be everything that Christians aren't cuz fuck them." It's a rather sophisticated philosophical position. It should go without saying that it has nothing to do with animal sacrifice and nothing to do with ritual abuse, in case the 90s satanic panic propaganda worked too well on you (and here, I don't mean you, Bob, I mean you as in anyone else reading this. I have a feeling Bob knows all this already.) Satanism is probably not what you think it is, and that's fine. It's not a religion in the traditional sense, and it certainly has nothing to do with the Devil, save in symbolism.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to say but I skip over steps because I know it already.

LaVey Satanism certainly is called Satanism for very clear and relevant reasons, but for all intents and purposes, it really has nothing to do with the Christian conception of Satanism or Satan.

DWarrior 03-28-2013 01:42 PM

Nerds

Junkenstein 03-28-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Well now we're quibbling goddammit. .

"In an interview from 2006, King Diamond stated that he does not follow any specific religion, and expressed concern that religion has led so many people to kill and destroy each other. He stated that he cannot comprehend why religion has caused so much death and destruction when it is logically impossible to prove the presence or absence of any god. He states that he has reached a point in his life where he has completely given up believing in anything religious and that he simply does not know what to answer when asked whether he is a Satanist or not."

its on a bunch of websites. i think he is still in the church but when asked abouty it he usually says he doesnt necssarily affiliates with it.

ADD: oh you said it yourself. i stand corrected.

Junkenstein 03-28-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWarrior (Post 743396)
Nerds

yes.

DWarrior 03-28-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkenstein (Post 743399)
yes.

nttawwt